Intern that hates teaching....

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by joydivision, Mar 26, 2007.

1. joydivision

joydivision New Member

Mar 26, 2007

I apologize if the heading if offensive to anyone out there but it is the truth. I'm interning right now and I have got to say I hate it. Part of it is the insecure students who get on my nerves, but for the most part its just the redundancy of it all. I really hate teaching. What do I do with my degree when I graduate? :(

3. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Mar 26, 2007

Hi Joy

I haven't started my student teaching yet, I start in the fall. But I've worked in several schools as a reading tutor for reading first, a sub and a special ed para professional in an alternative school that doesnt get more redundant because the students refuse to do their work. All I can say is that its different when your in your own classroom. Yes, teaching does have a lot of redundancy but how many jobs don't? Not many. Life is full of redundancy. You get up, get ready for the day, go to work, run errands, come home etc. etc. You get my point. It sounds like your really frustrated. Try as hard as you can to go school with a positive attitude and try to remember and focus on why you wanted to teach to begin with.

L~

4. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Mar 26, 2007

In Kentucky (where I'm from), your first year of teaching is your intern year. I must say I've enjoyed teaching much more now that I have my own classroom, but I'm highly annoyed at the large amounts of busy-work I am given on top of having to teach like every other teacher. Fortunately, I have been told that interning is the worst phase in your career. Everyone hates it. :(

If it is the stress and redundancy that is getting to you, know that it will probably get better. However, if you genuinely feel in your heart that teaching is not for you then perhaps you would be better suited for a career in education that is outside of the classroom. Your university adviser should have some ideas. If teaching really isn't for you, get out. It's a stressful job and if you don't enjoy it you'll make yourself and your students miserable.

5. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Mar 27, 2007

Ah.. but this is one of the reasons why there are fewer and fewer universities offering a BA in education...

sometimes you find that teaching is not for you..

I know a lady that is a technical writer that has a Bachelor's in education.. Also, there are lots of "office" jobs that work well..

I hated interning, but only because I knew HOW I wanted to teach, and it wasn't anywhere NEAR one of my host teachers' philosophies... you know the kind... writing is to help us connect with our spirituality... blah blah blah..

whatever.

OP, challenge yourself to create some really creative lessons and see what you come up with..

have the kids write a play about whatever topic they are on.. draw a cartoon.. plan a field trip.. do something DIFFERENT.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 27, 2007

If you choose not to teach.... I suggest you go for another degree.

Major

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2007

What degree will you have? Are you an education major, or do you have a major in a subject area and a minor in education?

Think about fields that are related to teaching. Could you work in sales of educational products? Do educational freelance writing (I had lots of success there when I was a SAHM-- try some of the textbook publishers.) Try ETS and see if they're hiring. How about training adults for something?

Try www.monster.com or google... see what you come up with.