Intern introduction

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Divine, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Divine

Divine Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

Hi I have been placed to intern in a 5th grade class. While I am getting prepared to introduce myself to them, I am not sure how they will react to me, (thinking about their pre-teen attitudes scares me). Does anyone have any suggestions how to handle the first day with fifth graders? I have not met their teacher either.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2010

5th graders are a lot younger than you think, especially when they are housed in an elementary rather than a middle school. Relax, they will be very excited to have a student teacher in their class. Enjoy it!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2010

Forget the "preteen"nightmares.

Ten year olds still need a ride everywhere. They're not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat of a car (at least not in NY state.) Some still (secretly) believe in Santa. They have to ask permission to have a cookie before dinner. Some don't know the facts of life yet. They still call for mom when they have a nightmare. They still shop in the children's department (well, many of them anyway.)

They're kids.

They'll love having a new teacher, with a new perspective and a new point of view.

Have fun!

5. Divine

Divine Rookie

Feb 7, 2010

Thank you all for the encouragement and support
    I'll let you know how my first day will be tomorrow.
    Thanks,

6. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Feb 9, 2010

I hope your day went well! I love my 5th graders. They are a bit chatty but are a lot of fun! I know my kids would LOVE a student teacher! I am still new so I am not in any rush to house a student teacher, but someday would love to. I agree with the posts above, they are still kids... I think the age group that frightens me is 7th grade and above, which is why I'm K-6 cert! :) Have fun, and soak up as much as you can. I learned a TON during student teaching!

7. Divine

Divine Rookie

Feb 9, 2010

Intern

Yes, I had a great day, Those 5th graders were very friendly and curious to learn about me. They asked me questions and felt comfortable with that. At the end of the day I felt like, it wasn't the first time I met them. I am still observing and trying to learn their names as quick as I can, before I take over the class.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2010

That's great to hear!!!

A suggestion on the names: what helps me is grading their papers, recording them and handing them back. Maybe you could take over that job kind of soon??