Intern Gift

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsDeb, Nov 9, 2011.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

HELP!
    I have had the most amazing full-time intern this semester! She always goes above and beyond and has been such a joy to work with! I honestly don't know how I'll manage without her....
    I want to get her a gift from the students & I but can't think of anything as special as she is. Any suggestions?
    :thanks:

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 9, 2011

I don't have any suggestions yet except that the class should be involved for part of it. Plus I'm sure you've already written her an outstanding reference letter and tried to help her network.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 9, 2011

Have the kids write her letters thanking her for her time with them. I still have mine from my student teaching class 2 years ago : )
    My CT also gave me a school bag to keep all of my things in for work and a bunch of books. It was really nice!

5. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

When I got married, my co-teacher had the class each write up a piece of advice for a happy marriage, and then she bound every page together. I absolutely loved it, and the kids' advice was hilarious! Maybe you can tweek it, like have them each give there advice on how to have a successful classroom?

6. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think I really like the advice book. It would be funny & sweet. Maybe I'll have each student have a page with their picture and advice!! Love it.

7. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 9, 2011

What a great idea to have the kids write advice! The only thing I can think of is maybe a large, canvas tote bag or a gift card to a coffee place.

8. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

Get her a nice canvas teacher bag/tote and have all the kids sign it with markers. Fill it with supplies for her classroom, desk supplies, "getting started" type manipulatives and a framed pic of the students (the class picture would be nice).

There is a teacher in my school that purchases a 1 year membership to a professional organization for them. ( for example if they will be teaching secondary math, they purchase a membership to NCMT; or your local state organization like here is the Palmetto State Teacher's Association)

a variety of books for their classroom

a gift certificate to a nice store to purchase clothes to kick off their career.

Wong's First Days of School

also my participating teaching had each student make a page for a flip book for me. One side of the page was a "Thank You" message and the other side of the page was advice. It is really cute. She laminated it and used a spiral binding.

9. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

Take a picture of her with the class and mount it in an over-size frame. Use a light color matting around the photo. Then let the kids sign on the mat board. Or have them each write a descriptive word about the intern on the mat board.
    What about a memory quilt. You could get broad cloth and give each child a square to decorate. Get a parent to sew them together. Then use colorful material for the back a piece of fleece for the inside. After the parent has sewn it all together, have the kids knot it at the corners of each square. It will makea nice throw.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 9, 2011

I always got my interns a gift certificate to a local restaurant and bar because I wanted them to spend money on themselves and not their classrooms...that's just me though :)

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2011

I had a high school senior service student for about a month last spring. So sweet and helpful...a joy! My kids each made a page for a book to give her and I got her a funky piece of Jewelry.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 13, 2011

Make a bead bookmark. Each bead is the first letter of each student name.

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2011

I'm losing my wonderful student teacher, too. She was actually a provisional teacher for two years, then decided to finish up her degree and stopped teaching full-time. She still had to go through student teaching, and I was the lucky one to get her.

It has been a true partnership. I've got 20 kids, and I guess they have had two teachers to share. We're as different as night and day in some areas, but in one way we are the same. We respect each other, no matter how different our approaches.

I'm going to miss her terribly. Since she was such a special situation, I went ahead and bought her a Vera Bradley totebag. The kids are chipping in $2 (at least they said they would). When she was out of the room, I showed the kids the bag patterns and we picked one out together.

I hope she likes it.

Normally, I wouldn't spend so much on a student teacher. I've done advice and collected teacher supplies and once bought a t-shirt that said "sensai" on it for $5. I also bought a NASCAR cap for another one who was NASCAR crazy.

14. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Nov 13, 2011

How wonderful of you to have been a great mentor to her (at least, from what it sounds like). I'm glad you two had such a great partnership. :) Whatever you decide, make sure you incorporate student letters/writing into the gift. Those have always been the most meaningful gifts to me, as a first-year teacher and from my memories as a student teacher/intern at various schools.