Interim Substitute questions

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by meeper22, Nov 30, 2010.

1. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Nov 30, 2010

Hey there, I have an interview tomorrow for an interim substitute position. It's at least a foot in the door. Anyway, I'm a little confused about interim subs.

Does the teacher you're subbing for leave extended lesson plans or tells you what the procedures are in the classroom? If I get the job, I want to try to make the rules and procedures the same so that the students don't have to change their routines. How long do they usually last? Are you given more privileges as an Interim Sub or are there some restrictions? Do you meet with parents?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 30, 2010

I covered about 5 months as an LTS for a teacher who was out on maternity leave. In my case, she left sooner than expected due to complications with labor... there was a regular sub in there for 3 weeks or so before I was hired (she didn't have preK experience)... we overlapped a couple of days, so I could see what they were used to... I then was able to change/tweak things that weren't working.

There weren't plans left, but this was an unusual situtation. Most places I've seen, the regular teacher leaves plans for a week or two, and then the LTS takes over. Often the LTS has a chance to come either visit or shadow for a day or two, or longer. It helps the kids to have some consistency in the middle of changes. In my situation, I went to all the faculty meetings, did duties, served on committees, etc... that isn't necessarily the norm in all places.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 30, 2010

Good luck! These are all good questions to ask on tomorrow's interview. Type them up & ask them tomorrow & take notes when they ask you if you have any questions and you ask them.

Otherwise, I would think that someone is supposed to have plans for you. If the regular teacher is going to be out for a couple or so months, that person should have a way (home email &/or phone) for you two to stay in touch. I think staying in touch once or twice a week to make sure everything's going smoothly is good OR just contact the person when you have questions, emergencies, etc.

On the other hand, if there's no current teacher in the position you're subbing for, they may kind of depend on you to come up w/ your own plans for the most part in which you should really attend afterschool staff meetings, meet w/ other teachers in the same grad level to see what they're doing w/ their classes, etc.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2010

This is expectation here.

6. The Substitute

The Substitute Rookie

Dec 2, 2010

In my district, when you are covering for an extended period it's expected that you'll be creating all the lesson plans and doing all of the other things that a regular teacher would be doing (coaching, supervision, report cards, etc...). Assuming that you get the job (fingers crossed) you'll want to meet with the present teacher to find out what he or she has already covered and possibly where they would like to go next (they may leave that up to you).

It's also reasonable that he or she go over her routines and classroom management strategies with you, and identify the needs of specific learning challenges in the room.

Getting a long term contract is a lot of fun. You get to exercise your creativity and skill sets, and create some lasting relationships with students and your fellow teachers.

Good luck in the interview!

7. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Dec 2, 2010

Thanks but I didn't get the job. She called me today and said I didn't get it. She said other applicants had more experience than I did. That's a load of BS if I ever heard one. I probably did something stupid or something.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 2, 2010

Do you know the other candidates personally? If so, you don't know for sure that isn't the reason... I've heard that reason far too many times. It might be they had more experience in that particular grade or with that particular curriculum or something...

I was at an interview once after my first year of teaching... it was about a week and a half before school started and they just realized they needed another section of a grade level. I had a great interview, even the principal told me... and she didn't realize I had a year of teaching experience under my belt (which clearly means she didn't read the application or my resume very well, but that's another issue entirely). At the end of the interview, she told me that she loved me and was really impressed by my interview, but she had to offer the position to someone who had previously taught in the district, had moved away, and now was back, because that person already knew the curriculum, and the curriculum training for new hires had already been completed... it honestly WAS because this other person had more experience than me, not because of anything I'd done or not done in my interview.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2010

I'm sorry you didn't get the position.

Many of the applicants we have for long term sub positions come in with several term assignments already under their belt. Often, principals are looking for someone who has experience already--with long term positions, with the grade level, with the specific curriculum, etc. Don't assume that you "did something stupid". From your first post, it sounds as though you haven't had a long term position yet, there could have been several other candidates who have. Brush off your disappointment, get back out there and continue to pursue every opportunity you can.

10. meeper22

meeper22 Companion

Dec 3, 2010

Oh crud.......

You mean to tell me they would still want teachers with more experience? I just got into teaching a year ago and have only been able to substitute. My letter of eligibility says I need to work at a school for at least a year to get the professional certificate and I need a job to get the temporary certificate.

If principals are going to do that...I may not make the deadline on my letter, I only have till 2013. Should I try certain schools to apply for that would take beginner teachers?

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 3, 2010

Realistically, 2013 is still 2 full school years away, so you have time. that being said, can you letter be renewed? I know in IL, you have to teach 4 years to move from an initial certificate to your standard... certificates can only be renewed for 4 years at a time, but you get up to 12 years to complete those 4 years in order to move up.

I think you should apply everywhere and anywhere that's looking... LTS or Part-time teachers or full-time teachers... don't focus on ones that cater to beginning teachers or experienced teachers or anything else... apply for everything you're eligible for. :)

12. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Dec 3, 2010

It is more likely they hired someone who previously worked for the school and/or already knew many of the kids.
    Or, they could have just hired a "friend".

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2010

Drats meeper22, so sorry.