Interim Position- Need advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EGrace, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

I received my K-6 licensure this spring in TN and have been looking for a full time position in the Nashville area. I have interviewed 11 times so far and been rejected every time-expect for one (but the school was very far away/not ideal) . Its 2 and 1/2 weeks before school starts now and I just got offered an 3rd grade interim position, for a teacher thats going on maternity leave. Its kind of frustrating, considering there was also a full time position open that I did not get. I really like the school though and its only 3 miles from my house. I'm going to take the interim position, but obviously am concerned since its only for 6 weeks.

What would you do?

Does anyone have interim experience? And if so what did you do once the interim position ended? Sub? Also, should I still continue to apply for full time positions now? I know theres always the chance that the teacher will not return from maternity leave or the school will end up needing to hire another teacher (they hinted at this), but with my luck I doubt that will happen.

Any advice, or stories from past interim experiences would be very helpful. Its obviously nice to get offered a position, but a 6 week job doesn't make me feel secure at all or give me the same satisfaction as getting my own classroom.

Thank you!!!!

3. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 13, 2016

I am also in the same position! I was offered a LTS position for a 12 week maternity leave, 5th grade math/science. I have tentatively/verbally said yes but told them I am waiting to hear back on a couple of permanent interview (they didn't mind as long as I kept them updated). But schools here don't go back to september and I just got ANOTHER interview request. (Kindergarten assistant-not ideal but its in a good public school district really close to me). So do I continue interviewing? If I get a permanent job I don't want to leave this school in a bad place...so same situation and advice would be welcome!

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 13, 2016

I did a LTS coming out of Christmas break last year. I really enjoyed it, and it got me "experience" for 10 weeks in a district that I would like to work in (the one I coach in as well as ST in). It's a net positive if you don't have a full time position because you ACTUALLY get treated as a teacher...it's pretty awesome.

5. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Do interim teachers have to sign a contract? Or can you back out at any time? I'm tempted to still try to get a permanent position and use this as a back up.

6. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 13, 2016

Thats my plan...I haven't been asked to sign anything yet and will continue to interview until I am asked and then I will panic lol. But its a "per diem" position here, so I don't know what the process is.

7. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Thats what I'll do then. I'm just hoping my some chance I can impress them enough during my time as an interim, to be able to get a full time position in the district either at that school or another school.

8. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 13, 2016

In my case it would be unlikely because its a small private school, but its experience and hopefully a good letter or recommendation

9. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

Yes, thats frustrating. This school is in an area with a ton of new homes being built and growth happening. So I'm hoping theres at least chance because of that.

10. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 13, 2016

I had a really good experience with LTS positions last year. I did per diem subbing the first half of last year, but did 3 LTS placements for the second half of the year. Once the district saw that I was successful in one placement and I made it known that I was willing to do more, I just moved from one placement to another through the end of the year. I was really lucky because this particular district paid their LTS an entry level teaching salary. It's not having your own classroom, but it feels a lot more like teaching than day-to-day subbing. I really enjoyed it a lot and got a couple of really good references out of it. I ended up taking a job out of the area and relocating, but friends in that district told me that doing LTS placements was the best way to get a full-time job in the district.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 13, 2016

An interim position is like an extended demo lesson. You get to know the school (looks can be deceiving), and the school gets to know more about you - same caveat. How you get paid is often dependent on how long the position lasts and the district protocols. I did a full semester, same pay as a teacher, and I was hired back for the following year. Sometimes, it is over once the teacher comes back, especially for shorter jobs. Either way, you will know where you are going and what you will be doing for six weeks, and you have a chance to impress.

Personally, if you agree to the position this close to school starting, I would consider my word my bond, and I would honor my commitment - if you are going to continue to interview with plans to ditch this position, be honest with the school taking a chance on you. Since it is only 6 weeks, for now, a school wanting you under contract for the rest of the year would probably be OK with waiting until this obligation is completed, but since they might not, I would suspend interviews for maybe the first three weeks of the gig, but I don't like conflict or backing out on my word. Good luck - it could be a real good experience for a brand new teacher.

12. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jul 13, 2016

I completely understand that point. I did let the principal know about the interviews I was waiting to hear back from. I don't think I will get a "real" offer until after I meet the teacher at the end of next week. Then I will go from their

13. EGrace

EGrace Rookie

Jul 14, 2016

Great news! I don't have to worry about about the interim position anymore, because later that day the school called back and offered me the full time 4th grade position!!!!

BioAngel and mckbearcat48 like this.
  14. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 14, 2016

Wow, congratulaions, EGrace! That's great news!

15. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jul 14, 2016

Congrats!!! That's great for you!

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 15, 2016

That's great EGrace. I also teach 4th grade. If ya need anything, give me a holler...