Interesting Video about New York City Schools

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by futuremathsprof, Feb 9, 2020.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 9, 2020

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2020

It is really unacceptable that anyone has to hire a lawyer and go outside of the school system in order to receive proper help. Sadly, this is the case in many districts and many schools.

This story really isn't about how the wealthy do better, it is a story about the ineptitude and corruptness of the public school system. They have no qualms about allowing students to have their lives ruined rather than assure they will get their educational needs met.

greendream likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 9, 2020

Absolutely! These services should be provided free of charge and be readily made available to all students public and private. I think it is ridiculous that NYC public schools would do this to students and I am glad that the students in question are finally getting the help from schools that can accommodate and handle their learning differences.

I don’t understand why public schools continue to deteriorate. They were absolutely amazing when I attended them all through my upbringing and this wasn’t that long ago, but something has changed. We have military recruiters who frequent my private school quite often, and they habitually comment on the falling standards of the surrounding public schools and they are worried. They don’t understand what is happening.

I really wish something would be done because all students have a right to information and to have supports in place, regardless of their socioeconomic status and what school they attend...

5. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2020

Well, you saw the comment in the article about visiting the school and the Kindergarten teacher had words spelled incorrectly on a poster.

There are many teachers in my district who have sub-par skills and are teaching students. The "everyone makes mistakes" justification has gone from justifying a rare mistake to justifying a continual lack of skills. We have elementary teachers who will cross off misspelled words on a spelling test and write the "correct" spelling. The sad part is that their "correct" spelling is also incorrect. Letters sent home have glaring spelling and grammar errors, but that is because they have "too much to do" and didn't proof it. But it gets to the point where you know that is just a lie because everything has these errors.

This is all so sad for the children, but it is also sad for the other teachers who are fabulous and do not have these issues. They get a bad reputation because of so many who are weak.

greendream and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Feb 9, 2020

You are, of course, 100% correct, unfortunately.