interesting job opportunity-thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by stampin'teacher, Jun 8, 2015.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

This past weekend I received a job offer for a start up charter school. I was not looking for a new job (although I do want one due to my long commute). My father in law happened to know the head of this new school and mentioned my name. She immediately called me and we essentially interviewed and she feels I'm perfect for the job.

It is a combo virtual classroom/actual classroom. Basically, it's a way to supplement home school students from 2nd-8th grade. I would meet them at "school" Tuesday & Wednesday, and the other three days would be checking in virtually, although there may be time where I'll meet with students who need additional support.

It pays the same as public school in the area, and one concern was what happens to my position if they don't have enough enrollment. She said that I still am employed and paid..not sure what that looks like.

I guess my question is-does anyone have experience with a class set up like that? With a combo of in class & virtual learning? I still need more information from her, and it'll be a pretty big decision if I leave the school I'm at. I feel wary about this job offer, especially because she was so apt to offer it after only 30 minutes of talking on the phone...but I also don't want to just shrug it off either. I would love to have more flexibility in my schedule (more time with my son), and it would be a much better commute-however if I have to drive around to each child's house the other three days, it may not be a better commute than I currently have...

I am meeting with her in person, as well as other members of the board/admin of this program. They use OdysseyWare as their virtual curriculum, but the in class stuff I create on their own.

Can anyone give me any advice or insight into this type of program? Or helpful follow up questions to ask when I meet?

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

Personally, I would be cautious or Leary of it. But then again I was burned in a major way when working for a private school. Long story short I left a good job for a position within the private school only to have said private school close due to financial issues 3months after my arrival. This in turn left ,e unemployed and struggling financially in a MAJOR way.

Who knows it could be amazing....just keep your eyes and ears open

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

Yeah, that's my concern...I currently work at an established private school. This charter school online program has been around for a while, but their hybrid program is new. They are already WASC accredited, which seems promising. But yes...I'm hesitant. However, I really need to find a job closer to home or at least more flexibility, which this could provide. I guess I just need to have a list of questions and be ready. Meeting them can't hurt....

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 8, 2015

I think that sounds...as described...like an amazing opportunity.

However, there's that all that glitters saying...

Things I would love:

Flexible schedule
    Sounds like a fairly customizable curriculum
    Established school

Things I would NOT love (and would NOT do):

Visit a student's home-individually or in groups
    New program=uncertainty
    Vague goals

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2015

I agree w/ kcjo13. Something just starting new is always nervewracking & somerwhat scary. It goes w/o saying that I'm sure you'll get as much info from her as possible before you accept/start & of course, always have a plan B & C if this doesn't work out.

7. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jun 8, 2015

I would continue to pursue this without leaving your old job for as long as possible. Make that FINAL decision last.

I'd be most worried about parents. Homeschooling parents sometimes want a lot of control over what their child learns, which could get tricky.

8. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

Thanks everyone! I'm not too worried about parents. Working at a private school here in Los Angeles, I'm used to the overbearing thing. kcjo13, you NAILED my feelings.

Koriemo-I definitely will keep pursuing-I want to get more information, and there's no harm in pursuing. They are fully aware that I have a job for next year. But I have an "at will contract" so I could leave. The other side is, my admin holds grudges, so they will be MAD if I do decide to leave. They take things very personally. I know that if it were reversed and they wanted me to go, they wouldn't give it a second thought-even though they do really like me. I'm trying not to have that as a factor, but I can't help it.

My current school also has just paid for me and three other teachers to go to Boston for a week long conference...not sure they could replace me. I can see them asking for me to pay back what they have paid. Yes, I know that really shouldn't be a factor in my decision ultimately, but I can't help but think about every aspect that could come up...

Does anyone have experience with virtual classrooms or this kind of hybrid teaching?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2015

Okay, as the online teacher with the big (virtual) mouth here, I'm actually a little jealous. There are several schools that are experimenting with the blended learning model, and it's been a big success. One of the biggest issues with distance learning is the lack of non-verbal cues. With the opportunity to teach in person, or even as a drop-in teacher, you would have the ability to see the confusion or apathy I cannot. You would also have the online time to work with students individually that you would never have time to do in a traditional setting, and this gives you the chance to do some amazing differentiation.

Hope this helps!

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 8, 2015

Ha thanks Cat!! I just read through your entire thread on being an online educator. Do you have experience with OdysseyWare? Do you have experience with what exactly I would be doing the other three days?

What would be some key questions to ask when I meet them?

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2015

I am not familiar with that teaching platform, but it looks pretty solid. Most likely, the days you aren't in person are going to be split between grading assignments and calling students to talk with them individually. I love that part of the job!

There are a ton of questions you can ask. Make sure you know the most up-to-date phone number for them. Find out what led them to your school (that is how I tend to find out which of my students are single parents or about to be). Ask what is their favorite subject and the last book they've read. In your case, in a lower grade, find out who will be with them at home when they're online.

I'm looking forward to your Online Teacher posts!

12. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 9, 2015

Thanks! I am still in the interview process- I wasn't looking for another job so I already have an at-will contract in place. It would be a very big deal if I left...

I am meeting more of the admin team in a couple weeks-what are some good questions to ask them about the program itself? I'm really not familiar with the school, and their website is kind of generic.

13. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jun 16, 2015

So I met with the team and the job sounds too good to be true, but everything seems to check out. Online teachers-can you tell me what your typical day looks like, and how your workload is?