Interesting experience yesterday, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kmeteach, Aug 14, 2015.

1. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 14, 2015

I had an interview with a principal this week, for two potential jobs. It was the most relaxed, fun interview I've ever had, and the principal was incredibly nice and welcoming. However, my heart broke when she described the jobs (part time, no benefits). When she asked if I was interested in either, I told the truth - that one of them sounded great and I would be interested, but I needed a job with benefits. I said I would think it over and let her know if I truly wasn't interested by next week, but she seemed to know that I wouldn't be able to take either job if they were offered.

She looked a bit disappointed when I told her this, but the interview continued, and we continued talking about professional things, with a bit of casual conversation mixed it at times.

At the end, she still made copies of my certification and asked for my references. She even took the time to ask who each person was and wrote down who they were and where they worked. I left feeling happy to have had a great experience, but sad because neither job was right for me.

However, I have told a few people about what happened after I told her about my situation, and they still got excited, they seem to think it's a really good sign that she still wanted my references and that she asked about them. I don't want to get my hopes up, but what do you all think? Good sign? Just being nice? I've never had this happen to me before, usually if the job isn't a fit for me, the interview ends shortly after with a polite handshake. Any thoughts are appreciated.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 14, 2015

If full time positions eventually open up then she probably wants to keep you in mind. Even if nothing is available right now she wanted all of your information.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2015

It sounds like she would hire you but you don't want the job because it lacks benefits and isn't full time. Para jobs in my district are like this as well. :sorry:

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 14, 2015

That's what I was thinking, too. If you can handle a job with no benefits for the time being, you might want to just accept one of them. Maybe you'd be able to move up into a full-time job with benefits next year, if something opens up.

6. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 14, 2015

I need benefits and my current job has benefits, so there's no way I'm leaving my current job for a similar job that has equal pay but no benefits.

I am hoping she will keep me in mind if a full-time teaching position opens up, and I will be contacting her next week anyway to confirm my choice and say thanks. I figured if she didn't like me, she wouldn't have bothered, right?

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 14, 2015

In my experience when I've inquired about benefits, hours, possibility to become full time etc. (often charter schools or schools that made full time positions part time where the person who had the job left due to not enough hours) during the interview, they know won't stay long because you cannot really afford to have a job like that. Just trying to be honest about this. They can smell if someone will take something because of no more offers, and then will leave once something with benefits and/or more hours come along.

8. burgandy01

burgandy01 Rookie

Aug 14, 2015

Yeah, the charter schools here are just stepping stones to get into public schools. They have openings like crazy!!

9. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 16, 2015

Well yes, this is pretty common and not unexpected, I would think? She was honest and upfront about it once the interview began. I had to be honest with her as well. I would be interested in one of the positions, but I can't take it because it's not full-time with benefits. I can't afford to take part-time. If I could I'd go back to subbing.

What made it unexpected was that she continued the interview and asked for my references and additional info. I was not expecting that and that is why I wanted to know what others thought. I didn't want to give myself a sliver of hope if other people have experienced something similar.

10. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 16, 2015

It's definitely awkward to say the least. In the last interview I had that was like yours, the ad didn't specify hours (but they typically are full time) and the first thing the principal said was part time no benefits am I interested. I said the ad didn't state that but yes I still would like to interview (I should have kept my mouth shut). Reason I went ahead to interview was to honestly, get practice for more interviews. In my experience part time in education really is full time for part time pay. I mean it's better than nothing I guess and you could still list it on a resume.

11. renard

renard Companion

Aug 16, 2015

It's unfortunate disappointing people, but they need to be realistic too. First, it should be advertised as PT/no benefits, to save wasted time.

I recently turned a teaching contract for three hours per week, because I would have to drop my FT weekday teaching contract to fit it in. And she's mad at me?????

12. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 16, 2015

I see what you're saying, Boba, and I agree. I think all employers should be upfront about what the positions are. I wasn't told anything about full or part-time when I originally was called. Just that I would be interviewed for two possible positions. I said yes because like you said, it's good experience to go on different interviews.

renard, the principal was mad at you? I don't see what they expect when it's a part-time job for low pay.