Interesting call

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Ms.MB, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

I would like to give a little update to everyone on my job search. I've posted in the past about looking for a job and being pretty miserable because there's nothing out there! I felt like an expert at interviewing, I would go in and do great, but my lack of experience always seem to hurt me. You can't even imagine the physical things I wanted to do to the "worthless" degree and certificate I busted my butt for 5 years at the University! (I've been very depressed and angry.)

Well, I got a phone call from a principal from the district replying to interview thank you note. She said she put in the paperwork in the district to recommend me for hire...but...they told her no because I have already been recommended by another school!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I haven't gotten the official call from the district so hopefully it's not a mistake. When and if it is true I'll update!

I'm not sure whether to start telling everyone or to wait till I get the official call. I think I'll just let my husband know for right now, poor guy, he's been taking the brunt of my mood swings!!!!

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2006

Well didn't she hint at what other district that recommendation for hire came from? Shesh, talk about dangling something in your face! Maybe you could call the districts that you interviewed with the most recently and see where they are in the hiring process? And call back the lady that called you and tell her that if you don't get a job offer in X amount of days you will be available for them. Couldn't hurt. Good Luck

4. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 15, 2006

It's only one district and I interviewed at several elementaries. The way it works here is you get hired at whichever school puts in the recommendation first at the district's personnel office.

I did try to call the personnel office and kind of ask if all my paperwork was in place. It was just an excuse to see if they would let me know what's going on. I was told that they couldn't tell me anything until all the paperwork and checks had been done. I will just have to wait.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2006

Ms.MB- Wow, this must have been such a long weekend for you! I'm glad that things are looking up for at least one of us... :) Let us know as soon as something happens. Sending lots of prayers your way!

6. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

I just got the call!!! I've been hired at a local elementary (8 min drive)! I am sooooo happy! I'm not sure what to do! Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to the district office and fill out paperwork. My first day is on Friday! I was so excited I forgot to ask for what grade! When I interviewed, I was told either Kinder or 1st and I honestly would enjoy working with either one. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I hope this gives hope to all those who are out there still searching. School in my area started back on August 14. I really didn't think I would hear anything after that. Due to high enrollment, schools started hiring again and just now are filling in the positions. Keep mailing, calling, and basically bugging these people about any possible openings.

Where do I start?!?!?!

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2006

With a deep breath, then plan for Friday, make your lessons.....usually procedures etc the first day. Then find out if it is a new class or if you are taking over for a sub, then talk to that person and find out where they left off. Then spend the weekend planning for next week. Set up your classroom as you go. No hurries about that.. Have fun and congrats!

8. l_ung123

l_ung123 Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Congrat!

9. shortee

shortee Companion

Sep 20, 2006

Big congrats. New jobs have begun popping up here too just since last week. And our schools started on August 7. So let's not give up y'all. I even had 2 interviews today and have one more scheduled for tomorrow.

10. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 20, 2006

Congratulations! It's great to hear that someone was able to get a job even after school starts. It give us all hope. I know I have been getting super down lately...but reading your news really helps! Thanks! Good luck with the year! You'll do fantastic! And...if you have a free moment...let us know how you are doing and what grade you are in! Good luck!

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 20, 2006

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear how your first day goes!

12. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Sep 20, 2006

Congratulations!!! Enjoy your new job!

13. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Thank you all so much! I'm super excited about the whole thing. I want to go check out my classroom ASAP, but the district is expecting my first official day to be Friday.

I'm considering calling the school's principal tomorrow and see if I can have a peek into the classroom. Plus I want to know how the Friday is going to go. Am I supposed to start off with the kids right away? Do I have time to set up seating arrangements and a seating chart? Is there time to observe what the other teachers in the grade level have been doing since the kids are going to be moving from their classroom to mine? So many questions to ask, I better make a list!

I will definantly keep posting. I'm sure that I'll come up with so many questions and this is THE place to get great ideas!

14. RLS

RLS Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

Congratulations!!
    I am so happy for you!!!
    Keep us posted on how it is going!

15. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Update: I was hired for the kindergarten position and have until this coming Tuesday to prepare my classroom. I've been running errands all day. I am sooo tired!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 22, 2006

That is awesome! I bet you must be so excited.

17. FutureFLTeacher

FutureFLTeacher Companion

Sep 22, 2006

Many, many CONGRATS to you!!! That's just fantastic news!!! And what a bonus to only be 8 minutes or so away from your new school! Keep us updated!!!

CONGRATS TO YOU!!! :D