Interested

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by kindergarden, Aug 2, 2007.

1. kindergarden

kindergarden Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Hi, I'm a first year teacher and I am a little nervous. I have no money to buy the classroom supplies I will need in my room and wanted to know, Do most schools give you some money at the beginning of the year to buy supplies? If so how much do you usually get?

3. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 2, 2007

It depends on your district. In my district we don't get much. Last year we got $65 at the beginning of the year that we could spend at our county warehouse of supplies. I used it mainly for construction paper, crayons, my supplies. Some districts may give more. Also, your grade level probably sent out a supply list for the kids. Before you do go out buying anything, check your room out and ask around. More than likely your grade level members will be more than willing to share things with you.

Good luck with everything! Kindergarten is such a great age group.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

We order the things we need in May for the next year. Check first to see what has been ordered for you. Most of the things I need paper, crayon, scissors, paint, tape, etc. are provided on that list. I have to get my BB things and things like that on my own.
    Our home and school gives us each $50 in August, but that is all the money we get. The other 12 elementary schools in my district do not even get that.

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

We get to spend 100. We can either order or turn in receipts. Sometimes we get another 100 in the spring.

6. amazngraece

amazngraece Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

Usually there is a "start up" allowance for new classrooms. Check before spending. Also check and see your district's policy on asking for donations, vs. necessary supplies...some are very strict.

"necessary" could include scissors, paper, pencils, glue crayons, donations could be as little as post-its, and big as cds, boom boxes, puzzles, etc...

7. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 4, 2007

Check what your Parent-teacher club gives. Mine gives$15 a student per semester. I got over $600 from them plus about $100 from the school and our supplies are free.

PS-OUR PARENT TEACHER CLUB works their buns off to do this!