Interdisciplinary Studies?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Elm512, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

I feel silly but- Can anyone give me insight on what kind of degree this is?? A counselor from my college emailed me and said I may want to hink about going this route. Now I am anxious to hear more but because of the time difference (Im in Japan and she is in Texas, USA) I wont get here reply until Friday morn! (Its Thursday morning right now).
    Im going to share a little clip-it of the email so you know exactly what she had in mind. Hopefully someone can clue me in so I can research it a bit!

"I put students on an Interdisciplinary Studies degree program which is core complete (has all of your math, science, govt, history, etc.) and is open for you to take the extra classes you need to transfer to a university. There are 4 TECA courses, a couple more sciences, and MUSI 1304 which can be used to fill in those hours."

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 9, 2006

My I.S. degree is basically a souped up elementary ed degree. Most of the Texas universities use this degree for elementary ed. When I was going to college, my university was one of the first to offer the degree. While some schools were requiring a three hour course in bulletin boards, I had to take physics to be an elementary teacher. I don't regret chosing the harder degree one bit. Who needs a three hour class in boards?

4. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I also have an IDS degree from a TX university. We were also required to have a specialization. This was 13 years ago and I don't think they require this anymore.

5. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I have an Interdisciplinary Studies degree with a minor in Elementary Education from a Virginia university....like the others said, I was required to take courses in various disciplines (ie science, history, math, communications, etc), NOT just education courses. It was explained to me that this system is in place because since teaching is so much based on standards these days, it was thought that elementary teachers coming out of college programs in which they were only taught education-related coursework would not be prepared enough to teach the standards from all the different disciplines. Basically, to make the teachers more well rounded? Anyways, at the time I thought it was kind of silly, but I was able to take courses that I probably wouldn't have otherwise that I ended up really enjoying. So it all worked out!

6. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

That sounds great. I love going to school, and I love learning, so the harder the better!! My youngest son is almost one, and I do not want to start working until he enters Kindergarten. That will be in 2011, so I have a full 5 years to get this done. I'm just hoping that the 1st 2 years can be done through Distance learning/online courses because we will not be back in the states until 2008. I can't wait to talk to my counselor about it more in depth. Thanks for the help everyone!