Interactive Whiteboards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by BeckyRamone, Sep 19, 2008.

1. BeckyRamone

BeckyRamone Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Hi there,
    I just got my interactive whiteboard installed today and I have been playing around with the software all night. I am pretty computer savvy but there are just somethings I can't get how to do!

How long did it take other people to get used to using it?

Also, does anyone know any great websites for flipcharts that isn't promethean planet?

I guess I should just keep playing and I'll learn more..I refuse to read the instructions (maybe I was meant to be a man...)

Have a great day!

3. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 21, 2008

I just got mine installed last Wednesday. I feel that there are a lot of things that I learned quickly, but there's probably so much more to learn. I'm not sure of any websites for flipcharts but if I find any I'll let you know.

4. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Oct 16, 2008

Are you talking about smartboards? I have had one for 3 years and I am still 'playing' around with it. It is very confusing......I do something neat and then forget how I did it! I am a little on the "computer illiterate" side...........

5. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 17, 2008

I have a smart board too - it's hung smack in the middle of my white board which drives me nuts! I'm an art teacher, so I have very little use for it anyway!!! I wish they would take it away, but our claim to fame is that we have "smart boards in every classroom."

6. BeckyRamone

BeckyRamone Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

That would be terrible to use art wise! I feel for you catsos2. Sometimes all you need is the basic stuff!

7. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 17, 2008

Just a suggestion about the smartboard for art class...it would be a great way to work on patterns and creating art from patterns. You can stamp a design in a certain part of the program (stars, hearts, squares, etc) Could be turned into tessellations (I think that's the right word).

Also it would be a way to project masterpieces found online to spark discussions about certain artists, inspire their own masterpieces, etc.

Type up directions for projects for display, rubrics for scoring

I'm sure there are a million and one other things that can be done. I have one but don't use it to it's interactive capabilities.

8. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

Smartboard

I have a Smart board and both my students and myself love it. The main thing to remember is it's there for the students - it is fun however to play with but it's for the students.

A few websites that i get activities or lesson plans from.

internet4 classrooms

starfall

I can't post links because i am a new member - but google those sites.

Also just play with the gallery - you will get the hang of it. I just did a presentation on basic options of the Smart board and learned so much from other teachers as well.

Hope this helps some.

9. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 17, 2008

Thank you for these sites. I don't have a smartboard, but I just got a mimio system that converts my existing whiteboard into an interactive board. I like it because I can still use the whiteboard as a plain ol' whiteboard without having to be extra careful with it. Although I hooked my mimio components up to my projector and laptop and have played with it a bit, I have yet to use it for a lesson with my students. Talk about computer illiterate!