Interactive whiteboards in educations.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by colinhay, Mar 25, 2015.

1. colinhay

colinhay New Member

Mar 25, 2015

Smart board and Interactive whiteboard enhance the classroom learning and engage the students towards their study. Teacher's can share their notes with the students and they can see practicle videos and many more.
    what you guys think about the smart boards and their features??

3. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Mar 25, 2015

Hi,

I've used the Smart Board/Prometheon interactive white boards a few years ago (2007-10) when they were the rage. I, along with my school, have moved on to tablets and TVs.

I think they can enhance your teaching and your classroom and offer a good starting point for interacting with digital lessons. However, I find that the software seemed to be very glitchy back then and there wasn't many options. Things may have changed for the better and will defer to those currently working with interactive whiteboards.

As long as you keep up using it properly, and not just a glorified projector like I eventually used it for, then you'll be fine.

Fred

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2015

I much prefer smartboards over tablets and tv.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2015

SMARTboards are great! I have had mine for 9 years, and I nearly cried when the bulb went out, and I had to go 3 weeks with no SMARTboard.

The future for them? There are getting to be lots of other good alternatives out there, so it is hard to say what will dominate in the future.

6. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Mar 26, 2015

I think that the future will include going mobile. That is why the iPad/tablets even chromebooks excel. Students and teachers won't need to go to the front and interact with digital resources. Learning on the move.

Fred

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Mar 29, 2015

I like my Promethean Board. It's most useful when we are going over homework and I can just have the students come up and write the answers on the projected homework. However, like all technology it's never flawless. Currently my speakers are having problems. I don't fell that it really enhances my students learning, but it does seem to engage them if they feel that they may have a chance to write on it.

8. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Apr 4, 2015

My whole educational career has been with SMARTboard. I don't know what I would do without it. If I ever move schools my new room would need to have one. I use it for grouping, interactive activities, games, science experiments, and so much more I can't even name. Like someone else said, the bulb went out once and I panicked. Luckily my IT department could fix it right away!

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 5, 2015

I love SmartBoards. I also feel like there is some work to be done on them still to make them as useful as I'd like. I've taught with them and without them. Sometimes when I want stuff to click, drag, or a pen to write somewhere, the board isn't as responsive as I'd like it to be. If a SmartBoard was more like a giant tablet, so intuitive to use and responsive, I think that would be the best! But I'm sure they would also be crazy expensive.

10. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 6, 2015

That's the double-edged sword of technology. I bet you can do some amazing stuff with that SMART board, but if (and I would almost say when) they go away, you will have some major adapting to do.

On the flip side, teachers with more "chalk and talk" experience might struggle with technology at first, but they're also the ones who could keep right on teaching if the power went out.

[Not saying either way is better, but just ruminating.]

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2015

:thumb:

..it should be a balance. Technology need not be used in every lesson for all kids every day all day long. Professional educators use a variety of strategies and lesson designs to deliver instruction and knw how their students learn best.

That said, I'm in a highly wired school. We have a dedicated tech lab, multiple laptop carts, iPads, smartboards, document cameras and an in- house tv station. We teach digital learners and we honor and respect that. But many times deep learning and meaningful personal connections are better made poring over the well worn pages of a book or sitting one on one with a kid with paper and pencil and working step by step through a math problem. Great educators have always known how to adjust instruction for their kids on a lesson by lesson, kid by kid basis. It's about balance and doing what's right for our kids.

12. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Apr 7, 2015

I loved having a smartboard when I student taught. My CT and I didn't need it for everything, but it came in handy for so much. We had a document camera as well that projected onto the smartboard, and we used that every day for read alouds so the kids could see the pictures. Plus the board was great for handwriting practice, dictation practice, math groups (we had a timer for groups on the board, it was wonderful), and learning games at the end of the day. Our other non-smart boards were chalk, so it was a huge improvement over minimal space on chalkboards haha.