Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher_Lady, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Teacher_Lady

Teacher_Lady Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering having my students use Interactive Notebooks this coming school year. I have never used them before and I was wondering if anyone had any resources, rubrics, or ideas on how to use them effectively. I have seen a few sources on here, but I need all the help I can get. :)

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 5, 2009

When I taught middle school I used an interactive notebook. I found the best method of organization was to keep a posterboard with the assignments listed in order and numbered. It was part of my daily bellringer routine to have the kids update their table of contents to match mine and number the pages we would use that day. When I collected them for a grade I would have them take the unit test while I checked notebooks. It was much more manageable on me this way. I only checked for certain things I felt were important and showed growth of learning. I checked completion on everything else.
    I did find that taking the whole notebook was a grading nightmare and I would spend hours trying to grade.
    For the graphic organizers that I wanted to use I bought a book of blackline masters from the teacher store. I
    made copies and had kids glue them in as needed. It saved time on having them try to draw stuff out. We also glued in other stuff that I used like cloze notes.

Let me know if you have questions.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

Search the archives of these boards. There have been several threads that discussed interactive notebooks in depth. I know that I learned A LOT from reading them.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2009

Here is a great resource to get you started.

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 5, 2009

I've used them for six years now in my history course, and I can't imagine teaching without them. What I love is that they are a great framework for any strategy or activity you want to use in your every day teaching!

This is the resource page I started on my site:
    http://teacherweb.com/SC/LadysIslandMiddleSchool/Gannon/ap6.stm

I second searching the threads, there are a number of informative threads, but please ask your questions, because I know I change/tweak things every year and I'm pretty sure others do to!

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 5, 2009