Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by wldywall, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 11, 2007

I just saw 5 subject spiral notebooks at Dollartree for $1 -- I don't know how many pages there are in them, though.

2. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

Its been my experience that my students with lower incomes by the 10 cent notebooks and there is no way to "make" them buy what you want. This is why I stopped using spirals - you worked at your school last year right? So you know if the kids will bring them or not, just throwing my two cents in.

In my area, if asked my kids to provide their own colored pencils and highlighters, I would have a real issue with the haves and have nots. That's why I buy that stuff when it goes on sale over the summer - but my district also reimburses up to 250 out of pocket expenses, so that makes a difference. :) Again, you know your population and what is likely to happen.

Just keep on thinking and planning - it is going to help you have a great year! Have you heard yet what your other subjects will be?

3. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Hi, ancientcivteach, where do you get your composition notebooks? I've seen the composition notebooks at Staples with the 9 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches--kind of small. Is this the composition notebooks you are talking about?

Last year, I'd say about 70% of my students bought their notebooks. It was a lower socioeconomic area--still not too bad. This year I'm working with a population where most of them would bring them in; I was at a school with similar demographics a few years ago, and they all brought in their notebooks. They might not bring in the type you want (too small), but they were able to adapt.

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

Howdy! I get them at Walmart when they are 50 cents like now. I'd say about 70% of my kids bring them in, and another 20% buy them from me for 50 cents, and the other 10% I just provide for. What I like about the composition notebooks as they are standard - it doesn't really matter what kind the kids bring in.

When I asked for spirals I would get everything from the 10 centers to the Mead 5 star - different sizes, different durabilities, different page counts. Consistency is a big thing for me ;)

There are folks who don't like the composition notebooks because of their size. Its not that big a deal for me - if I type handouts or fill in the blank notes I use the 2 column format and that gives me the perfect size. Full size handouts I photocopy at 80% and that fits great. As a plus, it also uses less paper! They hold up to my sixth graders for a whole semester, and they store neatly. :)

5. ssgrom

ssgrom New Member

Jul 17, 2007

ISN Materials

I would love this too. Can you make it an attachment?

Thanks!

6. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

150 pgs.

7. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

This would be great! Can I have a copy too?

I can't open the links on this thread. Every time I try, I get knocked off the internet.:confused:

8. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 18, 2007

Try a different browser.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2007

I would love that, if you get the chance! PM me if you need my email address. I'll be forever thankful!

10. ssgrom

ssgrom New Member

Jul 19, 2007

Interactive Science Notebook Help

I have posted this on another board too, but I am a big believer in overkill :D

Okay, I never expected one little notebook to cause me such
    anxiety. For all of you veterans of the ISN, please treat
    me like one of your students, and explain your
    procedure...slowly and thoroughly :)

I would like to use the notebook this year, and have
    received great feedback to previous posts, but I still have
    more questions.
    1. Do you ONLY use the ISN?
    2. What about papers that have been handed in and
    graded...what do they do with them when you return them?
    3. Does it get too bulky and too much material for a 5th
    grader?

11. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I think the organization of the ISN is whatever you want it to be....if you complete it in a 3 ring binder you can add work that has been handed in....or you can have them paste in their spiral. Your choice....also you could pull out by topic, nine weeks or semester if the folder gets to be too big. I am using a 3 ring binder with dividers for Math, Science, and S. Studies and reading. This is my first year doing this but I like the idea of the 3 ring so that I can add hand outs when I want and the kids do not have to cut and paste it in if I want it added quick. I think for your first time it is going to be trial and error and developing a way that works best for you.

12. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Every year it gets better it is truely trial and error and each teacher puts their own spin on it. In my building 4 out of 6 ss teachers use it and none of use it the same exact way.

13. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 19, 2007

The above teachers are correct. It truly is trial and error the first year or two, but eventually you will settle into a method that is best for you and your students. Start this year the way YOU think you would like it to be. You can even do some tweaking as the year goes on and then next year set it up the way it worked best.

14. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

I think the best way to avoid it getting too bulky is to display a lot of the student work so it's on the walls and not in a notebook. Also, don't hand out too many papers. Let them take notes and do activities where they are discussing topics and competing projects.
    I'm using a 5-subject notebook.

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Pretty much. The only things that don't go in it are art projects and well, projects in general ;), and formal writing assignments. Homework is loose, and we have the occasional worksheet for classwork and those don't go in the "notebook proper"

I have the students glue in a 6 x 9 catalog envelope to the inside back cover. Returned loose homework and works in progress go in here. We clean it out every unit, so it isn't bad at all. A larger notebook could easily take a ziploc bag for the same thing.

I don't think so, but I do new notebooks in January, so mine only have to hold a semesters worth. What "bulks up" a notebook is the number of handouts, but I give quite a few handouts and its not bad.

That's what I do - I agree with other posters that you have to do your research, ask questions, and then examine everything in the light of your likes/dislikes. Pick a way and jump in. You will change how you do them every year for awhile ;) until you find what works for you.

16. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

which subject is best to begin with for a newbie? i was thinking about either math, reading, or social studies. how many different subjects do you cover in your ISN?

17. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

I don't teach math, but I do teach reading and SS and found SS to be much easier (for me)

18. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

one subject per ISN :)

I think I'd start with SS as you will find many examples online and many people to support you. Once you master the SS ISN you could take what you learned and apply it to other subjects. I know a lot of science teachers who use the strategy too.

19. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

thanks ancientcivteach. i've been thinking about SS too. there are a lot of examples in SS!! i was also thinking about everyday math since someone earlier in the thread mentioned it but i'm still wishy-washy about it. i was also hemming and hawing about using ISN for grammar and/or reading strategies. just some thoughts.

20. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

i stumbled across this powerpoint with a variety of examples for almost all subject areas. thought i would share!

www.rcs.k12.va.us/pfes/teachers only/ InteractiveNotetaking%5B1%5D.ppt -

21. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 21, 2007

Sayuri: I tried taking the space and the - at the end off but i still can't get it to work. Could you please repost it?

22. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

23. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I mentioned before that I have used the spiral-bound notebooks, but I am now considering using a 1 inch three-ring binder for my students. Would you set up the notebook the same way? Has anyone used this method before?

Thanks!

24. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 23, 2007

just a heads-up to anyone trying out an interactive notebook this year... keep your own copy! a science trainer today told us that each year she keeps one as a master (hers is on looseleaf although the kids have spirals), so she knows what the group has done as well as uses it as a resource for absent students. i was toying with the idea of trying to use a binder and sheet protectors for my master.. in 5th we include a ton of note-taking that I often do on the overhead, so that way I could just stick the transparencies in the binder along with any foldables and worksheets. Any suggestions on keeping a master copy from those that have done it before?

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2007

Noreen,
    Please excuse my denseness, but do you mean a page for page likeness for the master copy? Would you actually take notes on the page, or would you write "notes" on a paper and insert it?

26. MaryBethG

MaryBethG New Member

Aug 8, 2007

I may have come across this topic too late, but would love to get any of the above material. I am a new 5th grade teacher and need all the help I can get. I know I want to use interactive notebooks with science and social studies, but hardly know where to start.
    How can I get copies of your information?

27. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

Pwhatley,

I use a modified ISN and what I do for my sample notebook (which is a binder, I cannot stand glue) is insert preprint pages right into the notebbok with just the date on them and a a description of the assignment on a sticky notes, for most notes I would just put in a print out of my power point slides, and for any type of creative activity or bookwork I just wrote a description of the assignment on loose-leaf.

28. stephhart06

stephhart06 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Does anyone use foldables in their ISN?

I was wondering if anyone used the Dinah Zike foldables in with their ISN's? I was at a training this week and there was someone saying she did... but didn't give too much more information. I've found some stuff online for them, but I was wondering how it actually works in the classroom when they are being completed?

Thoughts?

Stephanie :)

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2007

I know of a teacher which you can find his site at ancientcivteach's site, who does. He uses them frequenlty.

I also plan on using them with my classes. It is an easy way to make an assignment interactive

30. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 25, 2007

Well, my cooperating teacher has agreed to let me use the interactive notebooks with our 3rd grade class -- sort of. Instead of using them for curriculum items, we are using them as a parent communication, conduct, and weekly grade book. The very first page is the letter explaining how it will work. The first "left hand" page, and every left page thereafter will hold the weekly conduct and grade form (stapled or glued - haven't decided yet). The right hand side of the next page and thereafter is for parent communication - notes, comments, concerns, questions, and for our answers. We are seriously hoping that this will accomplish several things. First, we have one child who has "forgotten" or "lost" weekly conduct sheets (that go home daily for parent signature) and any and all homework for 8 days in a row! (We also have sent notes home, etc. -- can't get parent on the phone, either.) Hopefully this notebook will cure that (trying not to get my hopes up too high). Second, we have a number of bright, but organizationally challenged students who will (we think) benefit from the structure. Third, between divorced parents, grandparent guardians, moving vans, etc., our kids have a lot going on. Hopefully, this will provide a venue for the parents to let us know what is going on in their child's life.

31. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 25, 2007

This will be the first time ever using ISN's, but I can't wait! I am using them in math and science. I went out and bought about 500 notebooks (I hope that's enough!). I was going to just give them to the kids, but my principal told me that I shouldn't GIVE the kids anything. So, I will give them an option- You will be required to have three 70 page college ruled notebooks by Monday. You can buy them from me (one at a time) for 10 cents, or you can buy three from the store. I was thinking about collecting the notebooks each week (one class per day), but I am thinking, I am just going to do some quick grading by walking around the room and grading one or two assignments a week this way. That way I don't collect anything until the end of a unit. Or maybe do the stamp thing, where I walk around and put a right side up stamp for complete, a sideways stamp for not complete, and a upside down stamp for they didn't do it at all. Occasionally, I may actually collect a few notebooks to really look at a few assignments (typically the kids I know who don't do the work).

32. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 25, 2007

Without having read the whole thread...

I have my students get 3 subject notebooks for our history interactive notebooks. The first section is used for geography. The second and third for the history stuff. If they take care of the notebooks they will last all year with pages to spare. I have also heard of teachers distributing those composition notebooks at the beginning of each semester. It depends how much you plan to put in the notebooks.

33. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 25, 2007

I do. they are great!

http://ushistory.pwnet.org/links/foldables.php Another source

34. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 25, 2007

35. stephhart06

stephhart06 Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

Thanks Wldywall, Wig and Noreenk!

I spent today making a bunch of the foldables from ancientcivteach's site.

Do any of you own any of Dinah's books? If so... would there be a good one to start off with... I want to purchase one.

Now when you use the foldables, do you use it as a wrap up assignment, since they're taking their knowledge from what we've worked on so far? Would you spend more than one class period working on one? Or have any of you used it as a jigsaw - having a group of kids complete each piece and put them all together at the end?

Thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help I've received! This board Rocks!

Steph :)

36. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Aug 26, 2007

Stephart, I have all of the Dinah Zike books- math, science, world history, and American History. They all have the same type of folds, but each book gives examples on what topics to use each foldable with. If you teach world history, then go with that one. It doesn't matter which one you get, you can use the basic idea and easily adapt it to what you teach.

37. stephhart06

stephhart06 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Thanks Terrence! That helps! I'm trying to figure out what is going to work out best. I teach 5th grade all subjects... so I may grab history and science now! Thanks again for the reply!

38. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

perhaps once everyone gets rolling we could start another thread with photos of our foldables? i'd love to see what everyone is doing.

in response to an earlier post about having a master teacher copy, what i'm planning on doing is taking the notes i write on the overhead and sticking them in sheet protectors in a binder, in order. if we do a foldable, i'll stick my sample in there, too. i'm thinking it'll help me immensely when it comes time to grade since i'll know exactly what notes/criteria i gave the students. organization is my #1 goal this year!!!

39. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 26, 2007

If you want to save money, you may want to use the foldables in the link I have above. I have the history one and they are very similar to the ones in this one. http://ushistory.pwnet.org/links/foldables.php

Here are some examples from her site, too

http://www.dinah.com/egroup/Dinah Zike's e-Group4.htm

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 27, 2007

I just signed up for the Dinah Zikes group. Most of the foldables I saw I have used in the past. I just didn't realize they were hers; I came up with them on my own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.