Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by wldywall, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2007

Okay I got my notebooks from Walmart, I got 110 and it is for two classes of students that will be between 30-36. They are the ones with 70 pages. However having never done interactive notebooks before....I am now worried they will be full by january and I will need more than I have.

So do I need more? It is for a US history class.

3. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 8, 2007

I don't know if I can answer your question or not, but just wanted to let you know that another teacher friend of mine and me went to Walmart and CLEARED OUT their stock of compositon notebooks (50 cents a piece!). They had to get a pallet down...I think we walked away with about 50. The cashiers were looking at us like we were absolutely mad. Gotta love teaching. =)

4. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

They will be full by January. At least mine are. However, just make certain that you don't have a unit split between two books and you will be OK. Mine enjoyed the opportunity to design new covers, etc.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 8, 2007

I do two notebooks a year - it's nice to start fresh in January :). Also, second semester notebooks are always nicer than first semester - takes them a bit to get the "hang" of it.

If you're not going to store them in your room, you may find the 10 cent spirals tear up after a quarter. When I used them I did a new one each quarter.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2007

I want to use interactive notebooks for my 4 and 5th grade S.S. classes this year. I need a good site that explains the way to set these up and maintain them. I know NOTHING about them only that my daughter used one a few years ago in the 6th grade and she was really into it. HELP please!!

7. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

8. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 8, 2007

WoW! I love the interactive math notebooks from the site mentioned above! That is so awesome. :)

9. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 8, 2007

Speaking of interactive notebooks...

Are you all buying everything needed for an ISN?
    Also, which do you prefer, stapling items into the notebook or gluing them?

10. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 8, 2007

I prefer gluing. They actually write on the back of where the handouts go so I found staples got in the way, made the notebook a bit bulkier too. (Did it one year - think I've used every type of adhesive except rubber cement . . . ;) ) Glue sticks are even better, but we seem to go through more.

I request composition notebooks on the supply list, but I buy about sixty for kids who "forget" or just don't get to the store. If I give them one they either bring me a new blank notebook or 50 cents. If a kid is really hard up I'll just give them one.

I provide in my classroom - colored pencils, highlighters, glue, scissors. Some of these are bought with team money, some donated by kids, and others bought with personal money if the deal is very very good. Our catalog charges 1.64 for glue, and I just can't do that when I know wal-mart will sell it for 20 cents. Things like that.

11. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 8, 2007

As far as the classroom supplies that you provide, do you just buy enough for a class set? How long does that usually last?

I'm also wondering how I would set up supplies in the classroom. If I use the ISN every single day, I can just imagine a huge rush of kids going to a corner of the classroom to grab a glue stick or colored pencil.

12. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 8, 2007

i went to a district training on using interactive notebooks in science. i can scan some of the materials if anyone is interested. i have tables of contents, grading rubrics, scientific process skills, and general info (the first few i have in english and spanish). i found a 4-6 Gr. book on making Colonial America History Pockets, and i think that would be great to incorporate into an interactive notebook for social studies if you don't have a good model to reference.

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 8, 2007

GatorGal, my room is set up so that the students are in groups of four. Each "table" then gets a pencil box. In the box are two sets of colored pencils and 4 different colored highlighters. Those stay on the table all the time.

I used to keep glue in there, but as of last year started to pass out as needed. :) Long story.

Scissors are also passed out "as needed" because I pre-trim stuff and they generally only need those for projects.

Thinking of stealing an idea from a co-teacher - you know those itsy bitsy chairs? The resin ones? Well, she has one per group and it holds the class textbooks and the materials boxes.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2007

Please please pretty please can you do that for me. The interative notebooks for me will be my first time ever doing it or seeing it, but I love the idea. I just need lots of help getting off the ground. I would love the info on the Colonial America History pockets too please.

If anyone has links to examples for SS interactive notebooks I would love that too. Thanks a million.

15. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

Hi, when I did interactive notebooks, I had students buy their own. I probably had two that couldn't or didn't buy it. However, those particular students had difficulty completing assignments or doing work in class.

It was better to glue their handouts rather than staple them since it didn't fall out as much. I always required them to glue things in. With my last class, it was difficult for them to write all on one page. I had a few that wrote their notes too large. I'll probably have to make sure they write smaller otherwise everyone is on the wrong page when I assign the page.

Any ideas on how to keep students from writing several pages of notes because of large handwriting?

Thanks for the help!

16. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 8, 2007

I also had students in groups last year. At first it started off with pencil boxes with some supplies, but then students would trash them. I decided to just hand out the materials as needed. Each table got the basket or pencil box as needed. I didn't hand it out to one particular period because I realized they were taking my supplies. I told them no more, and the other periods were able to use them without any problems.

Also, I usually assign a table person or row person for each table/row and have them distribute materials so there is no rush to get them.

17. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/
    Look at:
    Social Studies Website and
    Examples of a History Notebook

There may be more. I know those two have examples

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 8, 2007

I think for my writer's notebooks (which I know isn't the same thing), my students will just start a second composition notebook and keep them together.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 8, 2007

My son's teacher did something like an interactive book for reading. Basically my son had to write about the book he was reading while he was reading it. The commentary had to meet certain criteria (ie, there was a rubric involved). The teacher writes a response to his commentaries. Sometimes she asked probing questions (which he was required to answer back). Sometimes she commented on his writing. A few times she gave him a "talking to" because he wasn't meeting standards (ie, obviously being lazy). As a parent, I LOVED reading their "letters" back and forth to each other all year long. They had to write dear and sign their name. I didn't even mind the lashing because it was honest. It gave me a glimpse into their year.

20. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

Thanks wig for that great website. I use Everyday Math with my 3rd graders and really want to start having them use an Interactive Notebook this year. There was one unit last year where I made the students take notes and, low and behold, that test yeilded the highest test scores of the year. It's challenging because most teachers use the ISN for science or language arts so I haven't been able to find a lot of good examples for elementary school. I liked the scanned pages of the middle school ISNs for math. Thanks for helping me out. =)

21. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 9, 2007

RE: keeping everyone on the same page

:) Always a goal, notebooks or not!

If students need additional room I have them make a flippy page. That is, they take out a sheet of looseleaf paper and finish writing.They then tape it to the top or bottom of the page so that it can be "flipped" up? IF they only write in between the margins and on the lines it can be trimmed to fit easily.

22. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

Great idea! I will use that solution for my students!

Thanks, ancientcivteach!:D

23. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 9, 2007

That's similar to what my professor had us do when we needed extra room...except she had us glue stick the left edge of the new sheet so it opened like a book.

24. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 9, 2007

I was thinking about buying the cheap 10 cent notebooks, but what i don't like about them is that you can't fit a normal 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper in them. I am going to require that my students buy the Mead 5-subject notebooks. That way there's no cutting of any kind. They just tape and go.

25. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 10, 2007

Terrence - just wondering - why five subject?

I wish I could require the Mead, but they are expensive and most of mine would come with the 10 cent ones anyway. So, I pretrim the handouts.

26. WindyCityGal606

Jul 10, 2007

I bought a composition book and a spiral notebook to try out. I want to put together a sample interactive notebook using some of the models I've been looking at online. Do any of you prefer spiral notebooks to the composition book(the ones with the sewn inpages and marbelized pattern hard cover)?
    Do you have a model of one to show the kids? I could just hook up the projector to my laptop and show them the web images I've found of completed activities.

27. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 10, 2007

Here is what I'm going to do, based on what I've read from others...

I haven't had the opportunity to try out either (spiral/compisition book) style in a classroom, but I'm going with the spiral type next year. I'll be teaching high school, so I just don't think it's feasible to buy a notebook for every student in all my classes. I just went to Walmart today and bought 3 Five Star 1 subject notebooks on sale for $1.97 each. I plan on using one as an example that I'll fill out with the students as we go, so they can check it out if they are absent (and/or confused). The other two blank notebooks I will keep in case I have a couple new students, or some students don't buy it.

I don't think I will show my students examples of ISN's on the web. I know it will take a little while, but I'm confident they'll get the hang of it.

28. WindyCityGal606

Jul 10, 2007

Sounds good. You have high school so they probably will get it sooner than my 4th and 5th graders.
    My daughter said one of her teachers had them use the 5-Subject spiral too. I may have them use a new one for each quarter though.

29. nicknbeccarock

nicknbeccarock Rookie

Jul 10, 2007

I have done it practically every way. Bigger is better 3-5 subject. spiral better than composition. i always show a good example and a bad example. i actually had two boys trying to be my worst for last year i let them tie on the last day

30. WindyCityGal606

Jul 10, 2007

My daughter's notebook was selected as a bad example one year during class and the teacher tore all the pages out right there causing my child to burst out in tears..:( ..needless to say...I made a complaint against that teacher. Will you show annonymous examples of good and bad using notebooks from previous years, not current students?:)

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2007

Oh, please! I would be eternally grateful! I will wash your car, walk your dog, make some fudge for you! :angel:

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2007

Oh, boy, I am excited now! I love this idea! I have my hopes kind of set on a 5th grade SS position that is currently open (the principal is on vacation). I can see the ISN being a fabulous tool! I think that even the most jaded 5th graders would find things of interest using an ISN, and it will DEFINITELY teach them how to record information so that they will remember it! Some of you have made comments about "same page," and I'm wondering if you expect everyone to have everything on the same pages? I think that I will have the students create a table of contents that evolves as the notebook does. I also think I will have them use 1" binders (like the floppy plastic ones on sale 3/.99 at Staples right now) and looseleaf paper. That way, any 8.5 x 11 handouts (graphic organizers, etc.) can be hole punched and placed exactly where they need to be without the necessity of so much glue. Just a thought. I think this could really be an eye-opening activity!

33. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

If you use the cheap 75 page spiral notebooks, and use them every single day, how long will they last?

34. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2007

Terrence...I would imagine they will last about one month. You have to set aside quite a few pages at the front of the spiral and then each day will take two pages. Maybe it will last less than a month, which might work if you want to start a new one each month.

PW...Ok...I'm now thinking maybe using a floppy binder would be a better way to go. Pages could be inserted as needed and there would be less chance of pages being ripped out for another assignment. It still can be emptied out at the end of semesters/quarters and the papers could be placed in each child's file. I think I'll look into this!!
    Does anyone else use binders?

35. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Maybe have the kids label the extra pages with letters for instance everyone else is pg 6 and this kid went onto two more pages label them 6a 6b 6c.

36. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 11, 2007

When I used them, I found that one of those would last a nine weeks for me. Remember, since you use front and back a 75 page notebook is actually 150 notebook pages.

My composition notebooks are 100 pages, therefore they are 200 notebook pages. I use them every day, and I have yet to make it past notebook page 140 - and that is for a semester. :)

It really is more of a "they tear up" issue. The 10 cent ones are good for about a quarter, the composition books about a semester.

Hope that helps.

37. WindyCityGal606

Jul 11, 2007

They would last longer than a month. Instead of dividing 75 pages in half, I should have multiplied by 2!!! LOL!!
    This is why math is not my favorite subject and now I don't have to worry about it because I will never have to teach math again!!!

38. msb

msb Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Thanks, that's another great idea! :) I have found some 120 page, college-ruled notebooks at Target for $.20 cents each. I will be getting more today. :) I might note that they are the 10.5 x 8 in notebooks. Students will have to cut it down. Still, I would really prefer the 11.5 in size.

39. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

Well I have the .10 cent notebooks now and I am committed to using them. I wasn't planning on using them for everything, I have folders for that class too, to keep their bellwork and a few other assignments. If I use it every day or every other day (not to include 1/2 days) and not every day would be a new assignment it should last a semester right? I plan on having the students keep both in the classroom at all times.

You guys have started to get me panicking. I have two classes of 30-35 students that I will be using these with and I only have 180 of them. EEK!

40. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

You can always catch the after back to school sales this year and purchase more...if you don't use them this year you could use them next year or for something else. Target always has the 10 packs for as low as .50 If you are lucky and wait...That is how I got my set for this year. However now I am thinking of using a 1'' 3 ring with dividers and incorporate other subjects and maybe after each nine weeks or topic, take the pages out and staple them and store or send them home. With fourth grade they are always making mistakes and wanting a new sheets for everything so I am worried about them not having enough pages in the notebook. I think you have to just try something and be flexible along the way. I am looking forward to working the corks out this year and developing a teacher notebook with student samples as well.

41. Terrence

Terrence Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

hmmm, 20 if you multiply 75 by two. that is 150, but, since two pages are being used each day, divide it by 2 and that gives you 75 again. So, that means you have less than 75 days out of a notebook. That's still not enough. I think I am going to go back to my original plan of requiring them to buy at least a 200 page notebook. Now I'm all confused and worried. I don't want to make them buy expensive notebooks because I teach in a low socioeconomic area, and the 5 subject notebooks are pretty darn pricey ($6). But that $6 will last the whole year (hopefully). They also need colored pencils, highlighters, and a ruler. I'm not going to supply these because they will be seated in pairs of students, and that would be A LOT of money and A LOT to keep track of. I am going to buy a couple in case kids can't afford it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.