Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2018

How many of you use interactive notebooks with your students? I am interested in beginning this with my students in the next school year (or even after Christmas break this year). My students are NOT organized with their binders! There are too many papers and they can't seem to keep their papers in the correct spot.

My questions are:
    -Do students glue everything into their notebooks? How long does this usually take?
    -Do students keep a binder and a notebook? I give students about 1-2 handouts a day which ends up being a lot!
    -Do your students keep the notebook in class? I think this is what I would like to have the kids do so it doesn't get lost.

Some of my students right now do a good job keeping their binder organized but others do not. I give students a lot of paper (probably 2 pages a day and an exit ticket). Do you have kids clean out their binders too? They have pages in their binder from the beginning of the year and I want to have them clean it out this week but I don't know what they should get rid of!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. akconnel

akconnel Rookie

Nov 19, 2018

The same kids who keep disorganized binders will have a disorganized notebook. I used to use ISNs. I stopped because the juice just wasn’t worth the squeeze.

Backroads and otterpop like this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 19, 2018

I had to stop because we were limited with copies. We put ours in composition books.

It took way longer than I anticipated. Coloring, cutting, and gluing were things I assumed middle school kids could do. Oh, and following directions was hard, too. The kids enjoyed it, but it was a PITA.

The kids who never get work done and have messy binders had unfinished, messy notebooks, too.

Leaborb192 and otterpop like this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 20, 2018

I agree.

Despite very explicit instructions, there are always a few students who cannot keep their notebooks organized.

My students' notebooks have numbered pages, and even when told to glue a paper onto page 14, the are still some students who open to whatever page they darn well please to slap it in there. The next day, when I ask students to go to page 14 to review yesterday's work, those students are unsurprisingly incapable of finding what they glued in.

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Nov 20, 2018

I tried interactive notebooks when I taught 6th grade science. I've seen teachers use them really well, but I just never figured it out. I had all the same problems others have mentioned - kids taking forever to cut and glue, lack of organization no matter how explicit the directions, scraps of paper everywhere, keeping materials (scissors, glue sticks, colored pencils) organized. A lot of the kids really loved them and the ones who did follow directions and worked hard on them ended up with a really beautiful product that that they were excited to take home at the end of the year, but they were a HUGE pain in my ass for sure. (I also had precious little planning time so to grade them I either stayed late after school or carted notebooks between home and school.) It was my first year of teaching and I was having some classroom management issues which really probably didn't help and if I tried it again, I could probably do a better job. But I think the experience scarred me too much. I'll need more time to forget before I try again.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 20, 2018

I never did see the appeal. I've started them a time or two, but never had the desire to continue. I get them, yet I don't get them.

a2z and Leaborb192 like this.
  8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  9. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Nov 21, 2018

I coteach in a room that uses interactive notebooks and they work for our group. Then again, it seems to be an unspoken rule in our school that all grade levels need to use interactive notebooks. They do take a lot of time to set up, even in older grades. I find there needs to be a balance between the amount of cutting and pasting and the amount of activities done using the interactive notebooks. I am a fan of having students glue templates, guidelines, rubrics, pictures, or other things into their notebooks that kids then have to interact with, use, or otherwise complete, so it becomes more than just another sheet of paper in their notebooks. I also always make sure to tell them why we are gluing the paper in their notebooks, and I try as often as possible to have the kids glue something into their notebook that they have already used, so we can quickly move to having the kids use it independently. If the paper is something the kids have never seen before, I make sure the kids know how to use it before I move away from that part of the interactive notebook. The good part is that this paper then becomes a tool they can refer to in the future. The bad part of this process is, if you don't glue your papers in to your notebook correctly, they fall out. I mostly do this with 4th grade, so you would think they would know how to glue from early elementary, but my coteacher and I have had to resort to stapling papers into notebooks more times than I can count. That is the most frustrating part of the process.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Backroads likes this.
  10. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 21, 2018

It seems they have become a glorified binder.

Leaborb192, Backroads and otterpop like this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 24, 2018

I think that is just it. What's wrong with asking your students to bring a three-ring binder and maybe pre-punching the papers you want them to keep? I think somewhere in educator history someone thought they could improve the notebook.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Backroads likes this.