Interactive notebooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LiterallyLisa, Jul 1, 2014.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 1, 2014

Hi, 2nd year teacher here and looking to start interactive notebooks in the fall for the first time.

I teach 6th grade Language Arts and Social Studies to two classes (i see them each twice).

I would like to have an interactive notebook for reading and one for social studies...my problem is then...my students have a writing journal and a reading response journal..I feel like that is ALOT of composition books.

Has anyone done interactive notebooks in a binder? or have your tried writing journals/reading response journals in a folder?

I keep going back and forth on how to organize what I want to do and would like any insight that you have! Thanks!

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 1, 2014

I would suggest not using binders. It can be very time consuming trying to get students to use binders effectively at this age. Pages get ripped out, students don't put them in the right place...etc.

I would say like 7 teachers have tried binders at my school and everyone of them stopped after the first year and were very unhappy with them.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

Put a different color of duct tape on the binding of each notebook so the kids can easily grab the correct notebook. I have used INBs for many years and have done binders and composition books. You will not be happy with binders.

5. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 1, 2014

Supply list

How many did each student use for the year? I know it can be different but just to give me a general idea when I make my supply list would be helpful too :)

THANKS TO BOTH REPLIES :)

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

My students use one notebook per year but I do allow those who want to get a new notebook at midterm to do so. We use the notebook everyday. I teach high school chemistry but my daughter teaches 5th grade and puts 2 notebooks on their supply list and they all go to a new notebook at midterm. Something that helped keep the notebooks last all year this year was plastic composition book covers that were sold at WalMart and Target last year. Even my notebook which is passed around quite a bit was in better shape due to the cover.

7. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 1, 2014

ELA teachers-how do you use you interactive notebooks? I tried it 2 years ago, but with their reading folder and writing folders, it was too much shuffling around, plus I'm not sure how much the notebooks helped them.

8. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 1, 2014

That is what I am worried about, if they have my interactive reading notebook, a reading response notebook, and a journal? seems like alot--but then again they won't be using them everyday so I have thought about making posters to go on the door "You need ________ today" SO they could get it from their locker if they had taken it home to study or get it from the appropriate bin.

9. blake

blake Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

I don't really think 4 composition books is a lot. The school I'm going to requires 6 composition books on the school supply list. They seem to be pretty cheap during back-to-school time.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2014

I use an interactive notebook in ELA.

Mine looks something like this:
    - students number every page from and back
    - 1st page is classroom rules, grade breakdown, etc
    - next section is learning goals - as written, then in their own words
    - next is notes that I give them (you know, elements of plot, figurative language, etc)
    - next is root word vocabulary (paste in the lists I give them)
    - next up is reading response - this is where they respond to questions, draw thinking maps, paste in foldables, etc

This year, writing is different. I think I'll have them plan in their notebooks, but all essays will be typed in Notepad and submitted through Turnitin (new FL are completely online, so I need to practice typing skills).

The system works well for me... except when they forget their comp book.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2014

I love chemteacher's idea of the duct tape.

I use binders for my interactive notebooks and LOVE them so much more than the comp books. I found them to be too bulky. However, the way I manage them is that I keep all the pages in a pronged-pocket folder throughout the unit and then have a parent volunteer transfer them to each student's binder when we complete a unit. The binders serve more as a portfolio while the folders are for work in progress.

12. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 2, 2014

Do they take both back and forth with them, or do you keep them in the classroom? I like the idea of using the folder .

I also loved the duct tape idea from chemteacher! I added different colors of duct tape to my classroom needs list :p