Interactive Notebooks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms_C, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 22, 2013

I could use some help from anyone already using interactive notebooks. I am going to start using them with my classes in the Spring semester, but need some help with a grading rubric. I was wondering if anyone had one who would be willing to share. Thanks!

3. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Dec 23, 2013

I wish I could offer advice for the rubric, but I don't grade my interactive notebooks. I do interactive notebook for math and science, but my main reason for the I.N. is to provide a resource for the kids to use while they do homework and to study by for quizzes. I purchase the interactive notebooks from teachers pay teachers and they mainly consist of flippables and cutouts for both math and science. In short, I don't grade their Interactive Notebooks--but I do random checks (usually once a week) to see if they are doing what they are supposed to with their flippables and cutouts. If it's inadequate, they get to hang out with me during recess in order to make their notebook adequate :) And then, of course, they get the lecture about how we do it together in class--why are you cheating yourself out of being able to do your homework correctly and have an awesome study tool??

4. iheartscience

iheartscience Rookie

Jan 1, 2014

I change up how I grade my ISNs. Sometimes I use a super simple 20 point grade (5 points for updated table of contents, 5 points for color on all RHPs, 10 points for all pages completed), sometimes I have students grade each others ISNs, sometimes we do self-checks. I tried using a full rubric but found that when I was faced with grading 50 ISNs in a day, the rubric kind of fell apart...just too much to flip through. My students use their ISNs for everything in my class, so they're usually pretty good at keeping them up- but I also teach high school so they're a little more independent.