Interactive Notebooks in lower grades?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sm2teach, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 5, 2013

I first learned about interactive notebooks last summer, but with big changes in our school (our Third Grade departmentalized after being self contained) I never got around to using them. This year I really want to incorporate these into our curriculum, and the rest of my team are on board as well.

Does anyone use ISNs with the lower grade students, specifically 3rd grade math? Most of the resources I have found online are for Middle School grades and up with a few for 4th and 5th grade. I have searched the forums and even most of those posts are for higher grades. How have you adjusted your notebooks to be age appropriate for the younger students?

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 6, 2013

notebooks

i plan on using them next year also..get on pinterest, i have found a ton of ideas on there. you can pm me and i will tell you my real name so you can look at my boards if you want

4. GAteacher

GAteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

I've used ela and math interactive notebooks with my 2nd graders. The children love it and it's great review before standardized testing. We used parts of worksheets and foldables , and glued them into our composition books.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 6, 2013

I wasn't sure what this was, so I looked it up - now I will be eagerly following this thread! I would love to do a modified version of this with my first graders for math! I will check out Pinterest, but I hope people know of additional resources as well - I agree, OP, a lot seems to be for middle school.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Okay, now this is my latest obsession - I want to do interactive notebooks for: reading, word study, science, social studies, health, math, and maybe even creative writing (if we can still do that with CCSS :))!

7. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 6, 2013

I am excited about this, but I am worried about my follow through. So often, I have these great ideas in my head but don't follow through with them. Every year for the last 11 years that I have taught, I have sent home barely used spirals at the end of the year. I am hoping if I have a strong enough plan going into this year with interactive journals, I can change this.

Looking at all the examples online, I have realized we do a lot of these kinds of activities anyway. This would be a great way to organize it all so the students can continue to benefit from it throughout the year instead of just throwing it all away at the end of the unit.

Another question. How do you get your unorganized students handle this kind of thing? :dizzy: And what about your turtles? I can see it taking forever for some of my students to complete an entry.

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 6, 2013

Third graders will be great with them. We use them in 3rd grade reading, science, social studies, and math. You do have to consistently model the expectations and routines of notebook upkeep for them at the start, and review continually. At the beginning of the year, we do a lot of the work all together.

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 6, 2013

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Would you use a separate notebook for word study/vocabulary? Also, I know that there are a couple of very reluctant writers coming up next year. How do I ensure that they keep up with the rest of the class?

11. GAteacher

GAteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2013

pwhatley - if you're working with content vocabulary, you could do that within the other notebooks? For the math notebooks, my class did about 1/2 of it was vocabulary foldables and the like. It was a great way to reinforce and review tricky vocabulary.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

I was thinking along those lines for vocab in the content areas, but we have a weekly list of "Robust Vocabulary" through our basal (Storytown), plus any I want to add for ELA, so I was thinking maybe a separate IN for word study - or does that make sense?

Last year with my firsties - we had 2 "Journals" - one for math & one for reading/ela. Both were the standard composite books. To make it easier for the kiddos to grab the correct one out of their desks, I took red duct tape & put it on the spines of the math notebooks, and blue for the ELA notebooks - I'm thinking of doing the same for all the different notebooks (maybe green for science & yellow for social studies). Does that make sense? With the first graders, I would just say "Take out your Math Journal," or "red Journal," and they had no problem at all. We have desks, but they will be set up into table groups, and all supplies are communal, so all they will have in their desks is their textbooks & the composition books.

13. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 6, 2013

something else i am going to do is make sure there is a table of contents at the front and each pg numbered so i can say look at pgs ## - ## for review for this weeks test...and i am going to take a picture of anchor charts and print them out on regular paper so they have the chart even if it has been retired to make room for something new

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2013

Good ideas, amyt682! Although I tend to make my anchor charts on the SmartBoard - so I could print them out easily!