Interactive notebooks in high school

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Tulipteacher, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jan 14, 2017

I am going to try this with my high school ELA classes.

I have been doing a lot of reading about them, but I'm not sure if it would be better to use spiral notebooks or composition books. If I use spirals, I know some of the students will tear pages out, even if I tell them not to. But if I use composition books the pages are smaller so handouts will need to be made smaller. And I'm afraid the interactive notebooks will seem babyish since they haven't used composition books since elementary school.

Any experiences?

3. Spedmistress

Spedmistress Rookie

Jan 14, 2017

Students in high school can use both and i have worked in 2 high schools where they use either one.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 14, 2017

I went to an INB workshop hosted by a HS physics teacher. I don't prefer INBs, but he was emphatic about using a thick spiral bound notebook. I think for the reason of not having to cut things out and because the kids ran out of paper rather quickly with the compo books.

The finished notebooks he showed us ended up looking fairly impressive with content from the entire year, so they don't look childish.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jan 14, 2017

I'm 30 years old (that still feels weird to say) and currently studying secondary education in university, and my educational methods professor has the whole class making Interactive Notebooks. So it's definitely not too childish for high school students!

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jan 14, 2017

Thanks for the replies! I'm excited about trying them out. I guess I'll go with spirals since I personally find them easier to write in than comp books. There's something so nice and compact about compo books, though.

Metalteacher-- are you using a spiral or compo book? Do you have an opinion about which would be better?

7. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Jan 14, 2017

I'm using a spiral notebook, mostly because I already had an unused one sitting around. (We had the option to go with either one.) Because I'm left-handed I actually prefer marble composition books, but the price and immediate availability was right.

Tulipteacher likes this.
  8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2017

I use composition notebooks with my seniors. If there's something I print that I want them to include, I print it two on a page, landscape. Sometimes they get a poem printed on 1/8 of a page! (We use a lot of glue sticks.) It's technically not an interactive notebook, but I'd rather collect the Compbooks and grade them quickly while a class is taking a test than deal with a lot of assignments on loose sheets.

Tulipteacher likes this.
  9. vincischool

vincischool Rookie

Feb 12, 2017

The first decision to make in starting Interactive Notebooks in the high school classroom is the type of notebook your students will use. The primary choices are binders, spirals, and composition notebooks. Usually, all high schools used all three of these, and each format has pros and cons, and what you choose will depend on your teaching style, storage, and student population. http://vincischool.org/preschool/