Interactive Notebooks for HS Science

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mollydoll, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I have committed to doing these, but have only a vague idea what I want out of them.

I am going to have kids number the pages and do a table of contents. Their daily do-nows that are state test practice will be in there, then I think class notes and any associated diagrams.

I want them to have vocabulary easy to access and in one place, so I am thinking about having them block off the last 8-10 pages to use as a glossary that they build.

I want to emphasize note taking skills and will be checking these each week for completeness.

There will also be a current events assignment each week. They will need to keep the article they use in their folder and write 2-3 concise sentences about the article in their notebook.

I will have 9th graders for one class and juniors and seniors for the other. For the 11/12th graders, I am thinking of just requiring the notebook for class notes and current events and leaving out things like the vocabulary that they should be taking responsibility for on their own.

Ideas? Thoughts?

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I am doing an IAN with my 6th graders and so far it has been a HUGE success! I will say that I really talked my expectations up in the beginning with the kids and spent a few classes setting it up and explaining how and why we use it. After one notebook check with not great work it turned around and the 2nd check I saw much higher quality from 85% of my students :)

my mom is doing one for a class she is teaching in HS but I am not sure she decided what will go in it yet.

I have no advice cause I am very new at this but ancientciv has A WEALTH of knowledge on the subject and has really helped me out!

sounds like yours will be great! good luck!

4. Braves09

Braves09 Rookie

Sep 5, 2009

I like the idea of having a glossary of vocab words in the back. It would have been nice if we could have done this in my HS science classes.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

I do Interactive Notebooks for my 9th grade physical science and my 12th grade physics. If you want to look through some of my materials just pm me your e-mail address and I will be glad to send you some of the things that I have collected and the things I am using. I have been researching this topic quite a bit because I am giving a presentation on it at Louisiana Science Teacher's Association in November.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2009

Thanks chemteach, that would be wonderful.

For my 9th graders, I will be really harping on vocabulary. I think the vocab is one of the more challenging parts of earth science. I am also going to be having them create a word wall for the classroom. I think I am going to cover my big BB with plain white paper and try to convince some artsy kids that they want to come draw a volcano on it for me (us). And then I will have groups do vocab words/concept diagrams that we will put up in "ash clouds" with push pins.

7. janney

janney Cohort

Sep 5, 2009

I made an IAN at a workshop this summer and they gave us the post-it tabs that we were able to use to tab the glossary for the different letters.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2009

molly~the science class I'm in does this. She has a TOC for each 6 weeks, a place for science vocab, academic vocab and daily work. She does a lot of foldables for vocab, notes, etc. I'll look for the book and give you the ISBN number.