Interactive Notebook TIps

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by wig, Jul 17, 2007.

1. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

The following was on the History Alive Discussion Board
    http://www.teachtci.com/wCommunityBoard.aspx?BoardID=656

Here are the notes from a session during which TCI Coaches and Trainers brainstormed tips for Making the ISN Work:

How can I grade all these notebooks and still have a life?

* grade 5 to 10 at a time
    * use rubrics and models of former students' work so kids know your expectations
    * monitor student work
    * have one student represent the group and act as a "messenger"
    * can use the Processing assignment as a writing grade

Absent students? Enough said!

* have an envelope for "work in progress"
    * if you have access to a camcorder, you can videotape lesson/activity
    * buddy -up with students who have completed the activity
    * if another teacher hasn't conducted the lesson yet, ask if your student who was absent can participate with his/her class
    * enlarge notebook pages for bulletin boards
    * can make copies of notes for kids

I can't decide if I should give the kids materials or have them bring their own?

* send letters to parents asking them to contribute "community supplies" for the classroom (glue sticks, tape, etc...)
    * have kids keep their own individual supplies in their desks
    * keep containers filled with table supplies for each group
    * have kids write letters to their parents asking for materials
    * at the end of the year, ask students to donate unwanted supplies when they're cleaning out their desks and lockers
    * put supply reminders out mid year
    * mark your supplies with ribbon or yarn so they're easy to spot

My kids lose their notebooks what should I do?

* some teachers don't let kids take them home...but some do
    * keep notebooks in a bin in your classroom
    * some teachers "build" notebooks, one page at a time, in 1 inch binders

Which type of notebook works best? Binder? Spiral? Composition book? Folder?

* teachers feel they have more flexibility and student creativity with a spiral or composition books
    * using the consumable ISN is a great way to get started with the program

3. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Those are great! Thanks!

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for the post, Wig!! You know, there are enough of us on here that we should post our favorite "stuff":

I really love a catalog envelope in the back of my notebook for loose papers or unfinished work. Those of you with bigger notebooks could probably use a ziploc!

5. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

First of all I have to say I'm in love with TCI. LOVE IT!!!!!!

second of all, thanks for that list. It's a big help because I was asking some of ya'll about finding the time to grade about 120 of those suckers.

Thank you!

6. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I just switched to 8th grade SS for the upcoming year. I am really excited about the TCI History Alive! program and using the Interactive Student Notebooks. My students will be creating them from their own composition notebooks rather than the consumables. My questions are in regard to assessment and grading. I plan to do notebook checks worth so many points throughout each quarter and then have a final review worth more points at the end of each quarter. When notebooks are checked is it cumulative each time? Meaning, it is assessed from start to current point or just from where the last check left off? It seems that if a student did 'not so great' on a section then cumulative grading would continually penalize the student for that 'not so great' section. Or do students have the opportunity to go back and improve? I want the students to keep a notebook from beginning of year to end so I understand that cumulative grading would keep students from just tossing each section after it is graded, but it was unclear to me how everyone else does the grading.

7. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

woohoo! notebooks rule! :D

sounds like a plan!

There is not one "right way" or "wrong way" to grade these, I think you just have to find what works best for you and your students.

A lot of folks seem to grade once per unit at the end. I've always graded weekly, and this year I'm going to add a "cumulative" portfolio style grade at the end of the unit. However, once the unit has been completed, we move on. The "old section" of the notebook doesn't affect their new unit grades.

One of the beauties of a composition notebook is they can't really "toss" the old section - it is a permanent part of the notebook.

If you google - "interactive notebook rubric" you will come up with a number of examples to noodle on. :)

8. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for the detailed information wig! I can't wait to use these with my high schoolers next year.

9. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

You will love teaching from it! AncientCiveTeach answered your questions.

Here is a link to a number of helpful sites that were gathered from bunches of teachers on several boards. ACTs link is on there, too. :) She has a great rubric.

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/

10. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks so much for the great advice and resources!!!!!

11. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

12. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Here is how I keep track of missed assignments:

Assignment Board

I posted it on the missing work thread, but thought it would be good here as well :)

13. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

That sounds great! I might try something like that this year.
    I had a parent blame me for her son failing because I never 'gave' him the absent work. I showed her my system and how all he had to do was go back to the file box and get handouts and notes. That was all it took and he was the one that had to explain why he hadn't completed the work. It would have been better to have it posted on a big bulletin board, so I fully understand the part about providing an immediate visual for the parents.
    Thanks for the great ideas!!!

14. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I'm so gonna steal your awesome idea, Ancientcivteach!! I have struggled with the best way to get students to make up their work for years!

Thanks!