Interactive Notebook Grading

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ancientcivteach, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

I've been thinking and thinking about how I assess my notebooks, and I've been noodling a rubric for the past couple of days. (I love summer - when ELSE do you have time to consider a rubric for a couple of days! ;)

Anyway, after some pondering and feedback, this is the latest version. I would love feedback!!

Interactive Notebook Rubric

3. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I'm not sure I understand your rubric. In fact I don't think I understand how your notebooks are set up, but maybe I'm just dumb.

So you're having your kids leave their notebooks with you for a day while you grade them?

What was the whole left-handed right-handed paper about?

I'm a tad confused.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

Its okay ayotte04, I was confused too. I did some research and I will be using them next year. The left hand of the notebook is for input, where the teacher gives the info the students record, the right side is for output where the students DO something with taht information to make is stick in their heads......the site where the rubric is located has a section for teachers, read the stuff there, follow the links, you will find tons of info.....you might be making a run to walmart to buy 10 cent notebooks too so you can do it with your students next year.....that is how it happened with me!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

ancientcivteach:
    I love the rubric! I am trying desperately to get hired for a 5th grade SS position, and I want to use interactive notebooks for every class!

6. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/

Check some of the links on this page and you will have an idea of what they are. Those of us who do use them are very pleased with the results. Note: RE: left and right side: L=Left=Learning=Teahcer Input R=Right=Response=Student reflections However, some teachers switch the left and right sides and some go sequentially. The links on the above page will help you understand the notebooks.

7. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

I'll spend more time looking at it closely. It sounds very cool and like the kids take charge of their learning. They don't just sit there like zombies. My question is....you're using spiral notebooks? Can this be done with regular 3-ring binders? Because I expect to give the kids lots of worksheets and have them hold onto things I grade (essays, quizzes, tests) to refer back to.

Using a spiral wouldn't allow that. But I'll keep reading, maybe I'll answer my own question. Ha!

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

AncientCiv....

Have you used these before?

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Ayotte, I will use sprials and folders, folders for the worksheets, spirals for the interactive notebook. I will try to use 3 ring binders next year if I can get enough. But I am in poor district and I will need to buy them myself, right now I do not have enough from the sales. So only one class gets them and won't be doing the interactive notebooks....I have 3 preps and it takes a lot of work. I choose to do it in my history class which is the first half of the class I taught last year, the material is more familiar to me, the 6th graders (1 section) will get the binders and some interactive assignemtns and the 7th graders will get folders ..... I have to keep them all seperate for my sanity!

10. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Well here's where I get a bit concerned because I don't know what I can expect my kids to come to school with.

My only "required" list for them is to have a 3-ring binder, college ruled loose leaf paper, some dividers, and then pens & pencils.

I don't think that's alot to ask. I don't want to go buy a million spiral notebooks or 3-ring binders for them....I won't be teaching in a wealthy district, but it's also not Compton, Ca.

11. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Well this is how I looked at it, if I want to do interactive notebooks I will be dang sure they have it. If I want the 6th graders to have a binder in my classroom they will have it, but the binder will remain mine, they won't leave the class and they won't be allowed to draw on them (they are the poly ones, so they can be cleaned) that way I can use them for several years in a row. Everything I am buying for students will NOT leave my room. It is for my class only, which makes me feel better.....a little.

At this point, I dont get to require anything on a supply list, not one, unless there is a memo at the middle school I don't know about yet, they haven't given me that option. So I shopped.

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

Hmmm....well I wish I had more info about my district rules. I like how you phrased it "I buy the supplies and it doesn't leave my room" a good way to look at it. As much as I like those poly binders....I find it annoying to open and read because the covers keep popping up and slapping me in the face until 1/2 pound of paper is in it. And if kids leave all their notes at school....how do they study for tests?

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

I normally don't expect students to do most of their studying outside of class because I learned quickly that it doesn't happen for about half of my students, so I build study time into my lesson plans. A reveiw game where they use their notes is what I usually choose to do. If tehre is a test I want them to reveiw for at home I make a study guide that the students fill out and that is what they take home. Leaving the major materials in the classroom.

If you have a student that is very irresponsible, would you want an assignment like an interactive notebook to leave the room? I have students that would take that stuff home and tell me for months afterwards they couldn't do this or that because they left their book "in the crib"

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

so when they take home the study guide....if they don't know the answers....how can they review that info if they don't have their notes to refer to? (not trying to challenge your thinking, just trying to understand it)

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

We do the study guide together in class, so they take home a completed one. They either work in groups finding the answers, or for some tougher things I give them the answers and we have a class discussion. I never send home a blank study guide, it is just a tool so they can study, so they leave the items that cannot be replaced at school. It also seems to raise the importance of the test in the students eyes, they seem to study harder when they have a study guide, like they think it will be the hardest they ever had! However, I always add more to the study guide than in actually on the test....just to keep them guessing.

16. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

so do you spend an entire period on completing the study guide? and then they are to take it home as a "cheat sheet" we'll call it, and study from it?

17. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

AncientCivicTeach - I think your rubric is excellent. I have used interactive notebooks over the last few years. I think your rubric would be helpful and also sets the expectations clearly for the students before they complete their work. Of course, I have the problem of a few students losing theirs, not doing quality work, etc. but there are many students who take pride and do fine quality work of which they are so proud. This assignment would not make someone fail in my class if it were lost, but it is a great chance for me to brag about certain students, which they always love to hear. The notebook helps their learning, of course.
    Thanks for sharing.

18. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2007

Sometimes one period, sometimes two....then they take it home. I have even told them that if they coroperate in class they may use it on the test, and have let them. NO the actual questions and answers are never on it, just the specific topics. It does help raise scores, but since I had so many not doing homework I found it worked for me better than anything else. Before I did that I have nealry every student failing tests.....because they were not studying....after I got it down to less than 30% failing....

19. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

Here are some discussion threads from this site on ISNs. AncientCivteacher is very helpful:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=39312&highlight=Interactive+Notebooks

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=34739&highlight=Interactive+Notebooks

The biggest problem I have with three ring binders is a purely pursonal one - the constant snapping and unsnapping of the binders drives me nuts :eek:

When notebooks go on sale for 7-10 cents each, I buy a case so I have for those who do not. We usually use two a year. We keep thme in the classroom but they are allowed to take them home to finish work or to study for a test.

20. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Wow! Go to bed and the thread gets busy!!! :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Ayotte4, yep, been doing the notebooks for, eek, five years now. I just about have the notebook and procedures the way I like them, I just wanted to streamline the grading process, hence the new rubric.

LOVE THEM - WOULDN'T TEACH WITHOUT THEM -

If I miss any of your questions or you have more don't hesitate to post!!!!

What is an interactive notebook?

Simply put it is the idea that students must interact with their notes to promote learning, not just passively take them. It is an old idea and you can read more about it on the links Wig posted.

The notebook has a two page layout - the teacher provides input on one side the student reacts/responds on the other side.

The teacher side can be many things - graphic organizers, questions to answer, an article to read, traditional "notes", any way you want to communicate. The teacher teaches the class how to color code/annotate this info (stars, underline, highlighting, etc). I think of these as the knowledge and comprehension side - lower levels of blooms.

The student side is also wide open - these are called processing activities. I think of these as higher level bloom's activities - it can be anything that pushes them to use/manipulate/personalize the teacher side information.

What to put the notebook in?
    I use a composition notebook - cheap and sturdy, but you get creative with handouts.

Other folks use spirals - range of price, range of sizes, but you don't have to trim handouts as much.

Still other folks use binders (yeah for you) - no trimming, no gluing, and you can always add to it.

Comes down to personal preference in many ways - I don't like them because I feel they lack the "natural" left-right orientation, they are huge, and its not as obvious if they are missing a page. But that's me.

Who keeps the notebook?

Again personal preference. Mine go home with the students Monday through Thursday night. I collect them on Fridays to grade (that's what the new rubric is for - their weekly grade) and to make sure they don't get lost. My kids bounce around a lot on the weekends and having the notebooks safe in the bin is just one thing we don't have to worry about on Mondays. I don't assign homework over the weekend and never test on Mondays - so its no big.

Other folks keep them unless they have something to work on or test to study for - it just depends.

Who provides the notebook/supplies?

I personally agree with wldywall on this one - if it is critical to my class I do what I can to ensure everyone has it. Just makes my life easier.

I teach about 85 students (lucky me, I know!!!!!!), so I buy about 40 notebooks when they are on sale. Most kids bring them in from the supply list, but about 15 to 20 either won't, or will forget it on the second day when I set them up. I give them a notebook and ask them to either bring me an unmarked (no name) one in return or 50 cents. The students are great about doing this - I get re-imbursed for all of them somehow. I buy 40 because we'll go through set up again in January and the notebooks will be $1 then so I buy them while they are on sale.

I have six tables of desks in my room - roughly four to a table. I use a materials box with two sets of colored pencils and one pack of highlighters. This is plenty for 4 students and lasts well into second semester, so I buy enough for two class sets (24 boxes) I use the Crayola pencils, and wait til they go on sale. Thinking I'm going to get the highlighters from Big Lots - they are four for a dollar now. Now, my district reimburses me for up to $250 in cash purchases, so I would wait on stocking up til you find out what your school will provide or reimburse. Unless you see them dirt cheap, of course ;)

I pass out glue as needed, and this year I'm going to try the glue sticks. Scissors as needed.

Hope this helps!

21. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

When notebooks go on sale for 7-10 cents each, I buy a case so I have for those who do not. We usually use two a year. We keep thme in the classroom but they are allowed to take them home to finish work or to study for a test.[/QUOTE]

Lol...the snapping I can deal with. It's when kids sharpen their pencils that I'm about ready to throw my textbooks out the window.

Now how big are these notebooks? Single subjects of about 70 pages...? or bigger?

22. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

They are usually 70 pages (140). Sometimes I use three a year. It really depends on what you include in the book. Even if you used one a quarter it would not be that much because truthfully, you would not have to give EVERY student a notebook every time.

23. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

AncientCiv,

another question...you grade them on Friday right? Doesn't it take FOR-EVER to go through all those pages for all those kids?

One of my master teachers did something "similar". It wasn't quite as involved. But the kids glued all their worksheets and notes and stuff into a thick spiral notebook (It was either 3 or 5 subjects).
    These notebooks never went home, but she did grade them. I found that having that many thick spiral notebooks in the classroom took up alot of space (even if they were in crates) and it just seemed sooooooo time-consuming to grade.

I'm not shooting down the idea of Interactive Notebooks (it sounds cool and like something I should try)....I'm just trying to be conscious of my time taken to grade these.

24. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I have small classes so I grade them while they are taking the test. If I give them a worksheet, I grade it on the day it is due. They are told to write ws 30 on nb page 27 so they know where to glue it in when they get it back.

With a rubric it really does not take too long. Any nbs I do not finish in class I finish after school

The first year I used them was the most difficult. You have to find a way to use them that works for you. I stated by using them in only one class.

25. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

Ayotte, I think its GREAT that you are looking at all of the ramifications of the notebooks before you jump in! Just keep asking!

Re: Grading

It's really robbing Peter to pay Paul. If I didn't do the notebooks, I would be assessing their classwork assignments on a daily basis. Instead, all of our work goes in the notebook and I grade it on Friday. Same time. I'd say it takes me about an hour a class, so 4 hours on Friday.

I get a ninety minute planning period during which I shut off my lights and lock the doors on Friday. My team knows I'm grading notebooks and they do not disturb. *Bless them* So, I only spend about two hours after school on Friday - less if I've been good about keeping a notebook for grading handy during the day. Not a bad trade off as I have no grading to do during the week other than homework which we grade in class many days.

Course, even if you wanted to grade them weekly, there is nothing sacred about Friday. One teacher I worked with took 2nd periods up on Tuesday, 3rd periods up on Wednesday, etc. It worked for her!

There are things that make it faster. When I make a notebook assignment I know exactly what I'm looking for - I've gotten really good at giving instructions/modeling what I want from an assignment :) - and that speeds things up.

A rubric is a must. :) I'm moving from grading individual pages in the notebook to grading the week's worth with the rubric I posted originally. I believe that will do two things - streamline my grading and put the focus on the overall learning for the week rather than this page or that page. There are SS teachers who grade them once a unit and it works great for them.

It depends on what you are going to have the students do in their notebooks - mine is strictly intro to content and formative assessment. Anything summative - writing or projects does not go in the notebooks for me. That way I can take them home, or take an extra day or two to grade them. Students need their notebooks everyday in my class so keeping them longer wouldn't work for me.

There is a lot of room for personalization with this strategy, and the only real way to find out what works for you is to do it. You'll change many thing over time as you figure out what works best for you and your students.

26. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

You know what your problem is ancientcivteacher!? You have become MY problem! You give me WAY too much to think about. :crosseyed And I have used these for several years.

Thanks! (I think) :)

27. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2007

always glad to be of service ;)

*rolling on the floor laughing*

28. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

You changed your rubric. I like it much better. Consider it stolen. LOL

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I have been lurking and soaking up the information offered in this thread, and wow, I've got ideas circling around in my head! Thank you, ancientcivteach and wig, for all of your wonderful instruction and advice! Thank you also, ayotte, for asking the questions that I was thinking of, lol! I hope to teach 5th grade SS this fall, so I think that the ISN's would be a fantastic tool for organization and for student-centered learning. I like the idea of only taking them up once per week for grading (even if it is different days for different periods). That puts the responsibility for the content directly on the shoulders of the students, which is where I think it should be. Wow again. Once this thread closes or is complete, I'm gonna copy & paste it into a Word document for reminder purposes!

30. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I use note books, not nearly as organized, but I'm learning a lot today! When I collect them for correcting, the kids make sure they are open to the first page I'll be looking at. I require them to put their name and date in the upper right hand corner of each page. Also, if they were absent or had incomplete work previously, they mark the work with a sticky note so I don't have to search.

I glue a checklist inside the front cover where kids record date and assignment. I initial when it's corrected.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I think I am going to use poly binders -- would you suggest 1/2" or 1" -- with looseleaf paper. That way I can hole-punch material to be inserted, and things that should go together will be together. I LOVE post-it things of all sizes/colors/shapes, so I will provide sticky bookmarkers so the kids can mark the first page of the unit to be graded. Does that sound reasonable?

Do your notebooks take into account current events? Unfortunately, I won't be teaching "just" history, but all areas of social studies, so I feel that maybe there should be separate sections in the notebook, or a certain format and number of pages for each week (i.e., 1 current event item, map handout, student notes, bell work questions and answers, etc). Please comment! That's how I learn!

32. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Not only is your rubric wonderful, but I also was able to printout infor from all those websites you have links to on your page!! WOW!! I love that teachers have put together such amazing resources all in one place. Lessons and graphic organizers!! YAY!!

33. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

I love that teachers, and I'm talking about real, caring, creative teachers, love to share things they do that work! THey also love to share insights and knowledge -- guess that's what makes them teachers!

34. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

I teach economics, government, geography, and history, but my standards incorporate those areas in the context of the history we're studying if that makes any sense? So I don't do separate sections per se, but I start each unit with a map study, and leave pages for vocabulary that we will add through out the unit, etc. Even if your strands are separated, I would recomend trying to integrate them - easier for the students, easier for you.

I don't do current events in class - there is just no time, so it doesn't go in the notebook. However :) my team is awesome and we do current events through homeroom - we get the local paper once a week and work with it. This year I'm considering ordering the Weekly Reader history paper - and use the content articles to teach how to read newspapers.

35. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 17, 2007

Thanks, Zoe! and PW for your kind words! This conversation comes up every year, so I wanted to pull together a resource to help! Wig also put together this fabulous list of resources for IAN - she posted it earlier in the thread, but here it is again

http://interactive-notebooks.wikispaces.com/

36. wig

wig Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

The reason I put this on a wiki was so others can join that space and add to it. A number have joined but no additions so far. But please feel free to do so. If I was "protective" of this site I would have made it a Protected site where only I could add to it. So PLEASE feel free to add, or if you can't figure out how to do it, send it to me and I will add it. What is on there so far are sites I gathered from various teacher discussion boards.

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 17, 2007

Thank you so much for your information! You and WIG both have been God sends! Now if I can just catch that principal while he's at the school!

38. stephhart06

stephhart06 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Question about the grade sheet

First off, this group rocks. :D The resources you have all put on this list are just sooo amazing. I love the wiki with everything possible! UGH! AMAZING! I finally have a clear picture in my head as to what I'm trying to produce!

I found out last week that I'll be teaching 5th grade (I've been in 3rd grade for the last 4 years) and I'll be using the History Alive! program. I should have my teachers kit in about a week. I'm the "chosen one" in my building to pilot it and no one else in my district currently uses it.

I'm the type of person that wants to know everything you can and give it 100%, so I've been googleing (sp?) the program and the notebooks, rubrics like crazy to try and figure out the best way to start.

There is not going to be a new teacher training in the NE, so I'm on my own, taking what I can get from a little bit of everywhere! HA is sending me the Engaging Learners book which I am eagerly awaiting, so at least I'll have more background.

So onto my "real" question... I was wondering, with these grade sheets, is it something you ask the students to then attach and keep with their notebooks, once you've filled them out... or something they just put in their folders. Or do you just write the number grade from each category in the notebook?

I love the rubric, but I'm wondering if it's too much for me to use for my first time with the notebooks? Should I focus on one part to start off with and build from there?

Thoughts???

Stephanie :)

39. stephhart06

stephhart06 Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

One thing I forgot to add to my last post...

I also had a question about abilities... I know I will have about 4 - 5 special ed students in my room. I'm fine with adjusting their workload for their IEP's, but how does that work with their notebooks? I'm specifically thinking about their processing pages... Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I model 1 or 2 with the group... I know I do have some artists... thoughts??

40. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

You should require the same assignment out of them, with modification. For example, if you want them to create an artistic diagram of the three branches of government, you would supply them with some of the info while the other students would have to look it up. That way you are accomindating them, but not creating entirely seperate assignemtns, which will drive you insane after awhile trying to keep it all straight.

41. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 10, 2007

I give my students the rubrics in their notebook, so they know how they will be graded, but I grade them. I have a stamp with the date and categories so I just stamp the last page for the week and grade the week's worth.

Whether you use this rubric or not, you will need to assess them. This particular HA strategy is the "meat" of their work and they'll need feedback on it or (in my experience) they'll just not do it. I used to grade each assignment individually, and this year I'm moving to a weekly. Some teachers only grade the notebooks once a unit. Some only give completion grades. It really is an individualized strategy, so you'll need to think through what you'll have your students do in the notebooks and then how you want to assess that. :)

IEP students. My IEP students love the NB assignments generally, because they get to be creative and draw. At the same time (depending on the learning disability) some of the assignments are too abstract for them to be successful. Sometimes I allow the whole class choices as to what will be done on the processing page, and other times I will allow a struggling student to complete an alternate processing assignment on a case by case. My goal is that they interact with the material in a meaningful way - I don't really care if its the same way as long as it happens. I'm not sure that was clear - I think I need more caffeine.

WELCOME TO THE GROUP. :) Yes, the folks here ARE awesome. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.