Integration of Technology

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sheree, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my lesson plans for next year. My principal wants to know how I'm going integrate technology into each lesson. So, I have some problems with math (first grade). Does anyone have some ideas on how to integrate technology in the classroom especially during math? Thanks :confused:

3. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

What sort of technology do you have access to?

I'm very ambivalent about the use of technology in education generally. Most of the time it's integrated, it seems more like it's forced than related to actual educational needs. Technology should be an aid, not an end, in education.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I have some good math software that I use with the first graders. Penny Panda($) and Clock Faces by Micrograms. I also have the students create a slide in Powerpoint and then I compile the slides into one PPT show. It is fun to record each student telling what their slide is about and have that play during the show.

5. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

if you have a smartboard or something similar, it's SUPER easy. there are tons of games on www.internet4classrooms.com i think that's the site. i go here all the time when i need something. they have it listed by grade and curriculum! awesome!

LC

6. glen

glen Companion

Jul 10, 2008

If you have KidPix, the students can make patterns, illustrate fact families, write, draw, and solve word problems, show fractions, write subtraction stories- the possibilities are endless!

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

Ditto!!! I4C is awesome! Brainpop is super, too. They have a Brainpop, Jr., too. It has cute short movies (5 mins. or less) and then a quiz over the movie, so you can do that for a grade or just for fun. Go to www.brainpop.com and check it out. There are quite a few free movies, but the fee to subscribe is not bad at all if your team wants to split it.

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I would look into some educational sites that your kids can visit to reinforce skills that they're learning in math. http://nlvm.usu.edu/ is a great site for math manipulatives online.

You could also use VoiceThread (www.voicethread.com) to have your students talk about the steps to solve a certain problem. You could upload a Word document with the problem 28 + 15 on it and then they could "draw" different ways to solve the problem and talk through the problem. That way it can be used as a tutorial for students if they're stuck on these types of problems.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

I made some very simple powerpoint flashcards with just numbers on them in very large font to review/reinforce numbers. It was much more fun than regular flashcards!
    More math games: http://www.internet4classrooms.com/skills_1st.htm
    Use clip art to insert pictures of money and type the total on it. Print the pages and cover the answers with a post-it to make it an interactive bulletin board.
    Have kids practice counting different ways and recognize numbers by typing number lines in different patterns.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 10, 2008

Required for EVERY lesson?!?

I have a list of educational websites somewhere on my website for all grade levels. Maybe look in the resources section of my site at http://www.teachingvision.org/resources for a file that is called 1, 2, 3... Unbelievable! in the technology section. Do you have access to laptops... because then you can get your students to visit websites in small groups. PowerPoint games are also fun, considering the younger age group you have. Maybe try Kidspiration if you have it, also.

11. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I'm teaching at a new school but I know that I have a computer in my room. No smartboard but maybe laptops! Thank you for all your idea especially the websites. I'll use them! :2up: