Integrating the Arts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 21, 2010

I attended a training yesterday that was talking about bringing the arts back into schools. They had a panel of people including a famous (around here anyway) dancer from the Houston ballet. It was really inspiring and I want to take the message back to my campus because very few teachers include it in this test-crazy world we work in. We have no art teacher and in music class often the kids are simply coloring pictures of instruments :confused:. I do a lot of it in Kinder, but am kind of made fun of for it.

:help: My question is, does anyone know any good sites, books, research about the benefits of the arts in education. I'm talking about anything-music, drama, creative arts...? I want to present this to my campus, and although the training talked a lot about brain research it was convoluted and we didn't really know where the studies came from. I want to be able to give them some simple, real-life benefits. :thanks:

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 21, 2010

http://cnx.org/content/m11638/latest/
    I don't know about dance specifically, but I would relate it back to kinesthetic learning maybe and see if any of that research connects.

And this isn't a true study, but the top 5 kids graduating in my district last year (3 of which had outstanding SAT scores that I know of) were in music programs from 5th grade on and played an instrument.

4. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Feb 21, 2010

There's a great book called Arts with the Brain in Mind. It might help your colleagues see that the arts DO HELP in our test-crazy world. It's important to teach the WHOLE child! ;)

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

10 Lessons the Arts Teach. I don't know of an art teacher that doesn't know of this list.

http://www.oregonfoto.org/subroutines/eisner.html

National Art Education Association: There are areas for research and advocacy
    http://www.naea-reston.org/advocacy

Look into the Texas Art Education Association and the Texas Music Education Association. They will have some fantastic information.

A great text that I have from college.

Arts With the Brain in Mind by Eric Jenson
    http://www.amazon.com/Arts-Brain-Mind-Eric-Jensen/dp/0871205149

Americans for the Arts
    http://www.artsusa.org/

I commend you for wanting to inform your school. As an art teacher, I have to fight this fight every day that I go into school. I am a walking and breathing example of the impact and power of arts in a students education, because I grew up surrounded by the arts. Because it has impacted every part of who I am. I know many students who struggle, but excel in my class because a part of their brain is being used, a part of them is being expressed..that is never touched anywhere else in their learning.

In the grand scheme of things, the arts are teaching the student about themselves. Anyone that is involved in the arts know the effects it has on their life, but getting that on a test to show proof isn't as easy. Each person is impacted by the arts in different ways. Everytime I think of this I always think when I graduated highschool. 9 of the top 10 graduating seniors were involved in the arts. They were either involved in band, choir, orchestra, visual art, drama...and for many of them 2 or 3 of the above.

I wish you luck in your endeavor! They might not want to hear it, but set the example in your class! It breaks my heart when I hear there are children that don't have exposure to the arts. It really does. I can't even fathom my life without them. I know MANY people who wouldn't have gotten through school without them.

Check out the Texas Department of Education website. Many people are unaware that WE (art, music, drama, dance) have benchmarks and standards that we need to teach.

I always think that easy ways to incorporate the visual arts is using artworks as examples for whatever you are teaching. Just the imagery alone for them to look at is powerful and is giving them a skill to look at an image and interpret what is happening.

Ok..I'll get off my soapbox! I hope these links help. I know there is FANTASTIC information on them that will probably lead you to other places of more information.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

lol good choice! I also suggested it :)

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2010

This is a link to our Provincial Arts document. It provides the curriculum expectations (standards) for each grade in Music, Visual Arts and Drama (all are reportable subjects in every grade). The introduction provides some good information about the importance of the Arts.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/arts18b09curr.pdf

8. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Feb 21, 2010

ooh I had to go dig through some of my papers...then needed to see if this information is still on the web! lol

If you search Americans for the Arts (I listed the website in a pp) In their search box, type the word facts. A page will show up that has really great, simple lists of information, with the cited research. It's a really great list.

Can you tell this something I care deeply about and what to help you!? :D

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 21, 2010

Thank you so much guys! :)

This will definitely help. The brain research was just amazing. They spoke only of musicians but parts of their brain are actually bigger than people who don't play an instrument. There's a huge study someone is doing in the east with many kids following them throughout their lives. 1/2 play an instrument 1/2 don't-they started out exactly the same (brain chemistry-wise) and now 2 years later there are already differences.

Oh believe me Samothrace-I do use it in my classroom. We just listened to Jazz music and the kids made collages and wrote about what it sounded like. They loved it. I have LEP kids who just excel in art, no need to articulate anything verbally. And it's fun! Who doesn't want their class to have fun while learning.

The objectives thing bothers me. Our district gives us our curriculum and although I know we have art objectives, they don't exist in our curriculum. It's on our report cards but apparently we don't need to teach it. I heard someone high in our admin speak in November about how disappointed she was to walk in a 2nd Grade class and see them painting turkeys. What are they learning? In my class if nothing else I make them write a story about what they make or tie it to science somehow. It's ridiculous.

Thanks again, I'm going to put together a killer presentation with all this info!