Integrating technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MizJudy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

I was just curious how everyone integrates technology in the classroom. I do a "listening center" with books on tape and headphones, edcuational games (Jumpstart and Reader Rabbit), in years past I've had them type their spellling (or vocabulary) words and write (type) sentences for them. I've found edcational interactive websites on the internet for them to do in centers or free time, obviously the overhead, and I do research for topics on the internet. How do others integrate technology? Just curious what my fellow teachers do...

3. dee

dee Companion

Aug 9, 2005

I use PowerPoints in my class on a regular basis. I use them to introduce spelling words each week. I use them in connection with math and English lessons. I make slides that allow my students to use the "pen" on the slides and this makes it interactive. I also use websites to research info or to show students pictures that are unfamiliar to them. I also use Inspiration to create story maps.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 9, 2005

I use the listening center (tape player and record player), and Power Point in my classroom. I also use E-Intstruction every day. Other programs I use every day are Accelerated Reader, SuccessMaker, and Knowledge Box. I use pre-approved (by me) websites during lessons as well. It's great to be able to have an LCD projector in your classroom.

5. lucy2529

lucy2529 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

I am very lucky this year to have a SMARTboard interactive white board in my 2nd grade classroom. It is a 72 inch screnn that is hooked up to a projector and computer and is completely interactive. I can pull up something on the computer and it shows on my SMARTboard and the students can go up to the board, touch it, move things around, highlight, etc. It is AMAZING! I plan on using it for every subject I teach. I also still incorporate a listening center, and the computers (which we all have four brand new flat screen PCs this year) I am also on the tech commitee at our school so we can bounce ideas off each other and trouble shoot. Can you tell I am excited!

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 9, 2005

MizJudy, what you are doing sounds great. Is this for your interview tomorrow? If so, a new piece of equipment that is big here in the west is the avervision or elmo. It is basically a document camera that takes a picture (it is in real time) of your worksheet and puts ithrough a different type of overhead projector and then puts it up on the overhead screen. No need for overheads and overhead markers. I know that many schools have them here and that might be something to talk about. We fight over this machine in my building because you don't have to go get things copied onto overhead, etc.

Using powerpoint is a great idea as well. With the intermediate grades, they can make their own powerpoint presentations from a report or something that you assign them. I know that our 4th and 5th grades do this with the librarians at our school and some other teachers do additional presentations as well. I've done them in the past and the kids love them. They are also a great way to get that integration of technology in.

(Sorry if I'm babbling. I just got a new computer and I love working on it):)

7. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

not babbling at all! When you're interested in something and having fun with it, it shows! :)

8. lvtchr

lvtchr Rookie

Aug 9, 2005

Technology

Hi Miz Judy,
    I'm new here and trying to find my way around, so I hope I'm doing this right.
    I teach first grade and feel the earlier you start the better off the students are and the upper grade teachers appreciate it. I take my class to the computer lab once a week to work on a guided project. I've used powerpoint to create slide shows for open house (subject: All about me), Kidspiration is a great program for a variety of application: story frames, sorting, webbing, etc. Kidspiration is for primary, Inspirations is for intermediate. Technology is great, anything you can think of you can adapt to the computer. The key is know the program you are using and test it for yourself first. I also use a listening center in my classroom, and in first grade independent use of this is challenging in itself.

9. shrinkingviolet

shrinkingviolet Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I have seen teachers use their Ipods to bring music into the classroom. They attach little speakers, etc. It is nice for the students to have music, but it also gives the kids an opportunity to talk about technology. If you have a projector in the classroom, you can also stream video through the computer....I have seen teachers use programs from TLC and the Discovery channel to do this! There are so many exciting options out there.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2005

I love power points as well :) I have also had the kids get close to the tv & we go through ineractive websites.

My students also complete webquests, and they do research projects on the internet. Our state is big on fifth graders knowing how to use the internet, and the computer itself.