instruments

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kem, Jul 2, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone have any easy ideas for creating different musical "instruments?" I'm thinking on the lines of the paper plate tamborine, etc. Thanks!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2007

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

We had to make instruments in my masters program last year. There were lots of pie plates stuck together with beans inside.

I took an old leather belt, about 20 Jenga game pieces and a staple gun. I stapled the wooden Jenga pieces to the belt with about 2 cm inbetween. When they're all on, you can ripple the belt and the wooden pieces make a clicking sound. It's a hand made version of a Japanese instrument called a Kokoriko.

Someone else took a piece of 2 x 4 cut into about a 5 inch section. She took big bobby pins and broke them in half at the curve. She laid them on the wood with the edges haning over the edge a bit (staggered to make different sounds) She put a small sliver of wood over the other edges and secured that down so that all the bobby pins were in securely fashioned down. When you use your thumbs and pluck the pins they made a plinging sound. A homemade version of an African thumb piano??

Another took different lengths of pvc piping. He put rubber balls in the ends of the tubes. When you bounce them on the ground they made a cool sound. Sounded like when you hit your head with wrapping paper tubes.

One of us was a former carpenter. He took pieces of wood from a plum tree he had cut down and he shaped them into an xylophone!!!! He even made the wooden mallets!

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2007

Oh, one artist made a clay maraca in the shape of a bird--but she had a kiln.

One woman took the cardboard forms used in pouring cement columns and stretched a thin sheet of rubber over the top to make drums. She made three in different heights and covered them in an African inspired fabric to match her African unit.

If you take a tube from upholstry fabric (can get them from the store) and use cardboard to close up one end. You hammer in nails up and down the shaft of the tube. Fill it with a couple cups of birdseed. Cover the other end with another piece of cardboard. I paper mache'd the whole thing and voila! a rainstick!!

Another woman took different grits of sandpaper and rubbed them together.