Instructional assistant or preschool teacher?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Jul 7, 2015

Hope everyone is enjoying their Summer!

I need advice from you guys. I have taught preschool at a private school for 2 years. I graduated with a prek-4th grade certification. I have a class again at the preschool this Fall, but I feel like I'm ready to move on. I want to gain experience in the public sector. I will be getting married, moving and possibly switching jobs. I think an instructional assistant would be a good way for me to gain experience but not be overwhelmed and interfere with my personal life. Were any of you an instructional assistant? I am nervous to give up my preschool position but I feel so over worked for such little pay. Our raises were not good this year and it makes me feel so unworthy. I signed the job description that I am coming back, but I am ready to just tell my director I can't come back....hoping I will luck out with a new job...

Thoughts? Thank you so much

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 7, 2015

I taught preschool and left partially due to pay. I also needed to complete student teaching, but if the pay had been anywhere near decent, I might have stayed a while longer. I got close to minimum wage. Preschool teachers work just as hard as any other teacher, but I got 1/4 my current salary and no benefits.

If the IA job pays better, I would take it. It sounds like you want to. Are those your only 2 options though? What about another teaching job in PreK-4? You might be able to check with private kindergartens and head start programs if traditional elementary scholo jobs are tough to break into.

4. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2015

I wouldn't quit a job if I don't have another job.

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jul 8, 2015

Go with your gut. If you can afford to not be employed for a period of time while looking for a new job, go for it. It sounds like you are ready for a change.

6. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Jul 8, 2015

I worked as an IA for 7years prior to teaching. While it was a great experience it was probably the most exhausting. I worked with severely handicapped high school kids with severe medical, emotional, and behavior challenges. I learned a TON and frequently use the skills I learned. It might be a good way to get a foot in the door at a district and then continue your schooling. It might mean you can complete student teaching within the school you work. I would say go for it. But be prepared to work a ton. I had the unfortunate experience of teachers treating me somehow not as smart or lacking any ability to effectively teach because at the time I didn't have the paper that said "teachers certificate" Not all teachers did this, it some. Goodluck!! If you bet an interview sell the fact that you want to be a teacher and you hope to use this as a valuable learning opportunity.