Instructional Aide

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by tara715, Apr 22, 2016.

1. tara715

tara715 Rookie

Apr 22, 2016

Hi! How would you go about answering the following question: Why are you interested in working at a Montessori charter school?

I know, I know, seems like a pretty cut and dry question. Here's my delimma - I am a previous preschool teacher, my daughter's current TK teacher informed me of the job postings at her school, she has asked me before why am I not teaching - any answer I say out loud doesn't seem substantial enough to put on an employment application.
    :)

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 22, 2016

Can you share some of your answers - the ones you find insubstantial - with us here? Maybe we help you word them so that they are more substantial.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2016

What do you know about/connect to Montessori philosophies??

5. tara715

tara715 Rookie

Apr 26, 2016

I was first introduced to Montessori in 2010 via ECE courses. It just made sense to me. I was pregnant at the time and decided from the first time Maria Montessori was mentioned that this was the philosophy I was going to raise my child by, and that he/she would attend a Montessori school; whatever it took. I was able to get my daughter registered in her current school and have had the privilege of volunteering on a regular basis in her classroom. I love seeing the philosophies played out during work period and how confident the kids are in themselves. I also found it very interesting that, after being completely turned off my common core, montessori philosophies were "common core" before common core even existed. I love that critical thinking is a major component and the students not just being spoon fed information.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2016

I was home with my kids for 10 years. When I was interviewing, the question invariably came up about the 10 year gap. I was open about my decision to be a stay-at-home mom and about why I was looking to return to the work force (my children were both going to be in school full-time, so the time was right).

To answer the first part of the question, what is it about the school that draws you--the Montessori philosophy itself, the positive experience your daughter has had there?

7. tara715

tara715 Rookie

Apr 26, 2016

I was raised in the south and was taught that everybody is responsible for doing their part. I raised my daughter in the same manner, only having studied Montessori philosophy, I had a better understanding of how to go about it. My daughter went into TK as an ideal Montessori student - she is very independent and knows that if she can do something she should and not only not ask for help if she doesn't need it, but to help others if she can. Having been a preschool teacher, I am trained to not only look at the academic aspect but the social/emotional aspect of a child's situation as well, which is mainly why I wanted my daughter to attend. I knew she was smart, but I was terrified that she wasn't going to out grow her meltdowns and tantrums. My daughter has matured so much during this school year, and I know it's because she has such a positive consistent influence/reminders from her teacher. Also, I love listening to the students explain how they got to an answer, or seeing the expression on their faces when they get through a lesson for the first time on their own and can explain it all in detail. They are so confident in themselves!

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2016

I think all of the answers you've given are quite substantial. Talk (or type) from the heart. Say what you've told us.