Instructional Aide (Para) or Subbing?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachinIA4137, Jun 21, 2014.

1. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Hey all

Just a question... I've been trying to get in with this one district (and really get a job anywhere) and they've posted that they are looking for teacher aides for this upcoming year.

I am already a substitute for them (as well as 2 other districts), but I was wondering if I should go for one of the para positions. Do you think it would give me more of an "in"? I don't know if they let their teacher assistants apply as internal applicants.

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 21, 2014

This varies a lot from district to district. I have seen a lot of paras get hired as teachers, almost always as special ed, though. I'm at a middle school and all of our paras are in classrooms supporting students with IEPs. It might be different in elementary.

In your shoes, I would apply, then try to find out if the district hires paras through networking and that would help me decide on accepting, if I were offered a position.

Good luck.

4. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jun 21, 2014

Depends on what you're going for.

If you are looking for teaching experience, stay with subbing. You can get an offer to do long-term substitute teaching and start networking from there. In a couple of districts I sub for, substitutes make more than paraprofessionals as long as you are subbing consistently.

The only thing that pays to be a paraprofessional is that you get healthcare benefits. However, they have a higher workload than substitute teachers and are paid less. If you are planning to go into teaching Special Education, it is worth a shot.

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 21, 2014

I think you should apply and when you get to interview ask these questions to the hiring committee.

6. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 21, 2014

In my area, paras would usually get special consideration for teaching positions. Subs tend to come and go without much notice unless they are especially exceptional.

But then again, in my district being a para also gets you a decent salary and benefits. I know that's not true everywhere.

7. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

That depends entirely on the area that you live in. Whether or not districts hire their paras tends to vary. I have been both, and I'm grateful for both experiences. Since I was a certified teacher, my school often pulled me to sub when they were short, so I was still getting teaching experience that way as well.

8. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I am currently a Para (former Prek Teacher, ECE Director & Sub) and for me right now this is a much better choice.

As a sub I could not get consistent work. I need to work 5 days a week and I also need the benefits, which I have now and are verrrrry good!

I receive medical, dental, vision plus sick, personal and holiday pay...for me its what I want & need at the moment. I am also making close to $15.00 an hour this coming school year and next year my salary jumps to over $16.00 an hour so I m very lucky.

Also, as a Para I have been incharge of classes for different reasons because of my degree and I know the Principal looooooves that she can pull me for things like that when needed!

And I am considered an Internal Applicant as well:D

Good Luck to you!

9. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I would say to do the para position if you are trying to get hired on as a teacher with that school. Subbing is just that: subbing. Nobody really sees your work. They can tell that you do a good job, but since, usually, you are not really expected to work for long periods of time with the kids, the admins don't get to see your work.

With that said, I took a para job last year, and it was a big pay cut because I worked full time as a sub. I really hope the financial loss will be worth it this year, and I can get in to my own class. :unsure:

10. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

Yeah I'm pretty much torn between the two. The hiring season for most districts in this area is winding down. And I just got another rejection. I know as a para you may end up being seen as less of a "candidate" for other districts. But I know that you'd also be able to get letters of rec and new references.

And no, I am NOT special ed certified (SS and Reading). And it says "multiple buildings" so I worry I would get assigned to middle school or high school (somewhere I don't feel comfortable - the reason I went for El Ed)

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2014

Yes to all said.

And, let every school you sub for know that you and credentialed and looking for a long term sub job if any come up at their school. These look great on a resume and you can also ask for letters of recommendation from these jobs. Hiring committees generally see long term sub experience as legitimate teaching because you are in charge of delivering curriculum and classroom management.

12. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

In my experience, being a para has done nothing for me job-wise but it did make me want to go back to get certified in sped. :)

I'm trying subbing next year.

13. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jun 26, 2014

In my opinion, I would sub. Subbing would allow you to be at many school and get exposure to many different principals and teacher to network. If you do a para job then you are limited to that one school. Just my thoughts. Plus, you can not sub if you don't want to.