Installing White Tile Board to Chalkboards

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Unregistered, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 30, 2003

I recently purchased white tile board for some of our teachers to replace their chalkboards. We have them cut and ready to put them over the boards. What is the best way to secure the tile board?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2003

I'm sure if you checked at Home Depot or Lowes- one of those big kind of hardware stores with the helpful people- they would know.

4. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Jul 30, 2003

Unfortunately, the people at the store were no help. Someone suggested Liquid Nails but if we ever need to change the board it may tear up the original chalkboard. Any advice

5. Shilo

Shilo Rookie

Jul 31, 2003

how about velcro or double sided tape? if you change them you may need to get the "sticky stuff" off the board but it won't leave any permenant damage.

6. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 31, 2003

I think whatever you use has to be secure, the board will probably not be useable as a chalkboard again. Oh, may-be you could drill holes and attached with screw along the edge--or remove the chalkboards and screw new ones to the wall.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2003

How about holding the white board up against the chalkboard and then nailing a piece of molding around the edge- a wide piece of molding should give you enough room to act as a 'frame' holding the white board in place.

8. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 31, 2003

metal clamp

Attach the clamp to the top of the new board you want to install. The other end of the clamp gets screwed into the wall. The clamp is almost shaped like a 'h'. the board fits in (under the n and gets a screw in the front of the n) The wall gets the l part screwed into it. I can picture what you need, can draw and describe what you need but havent a clue what its called! Its only a single peice that requires two screws and you should probably mount one every 12 inches to make it secure. Depending on how big the board is, you will know how many to buy. Also, you should probably use an 'anchor' also. good luck!

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Jul 31, 2003

I was also thinking about doing this. I had my tile board cut into individual boards for the kids, which worked great, except they do not erase as well as white boards. Depending on the marker brand, color, and how long the words had been left on, the boards sometimes needed to be scrubbed HARD and you can still see the writing lightly.

Anyone else experienced this? What markers are best? I don't want to install this and then have it be unusable by October, lol!

BTW, as far as installation, I was thinking of setting mine on the chalk ledge, so I could take it down and use the board for it's magentic surface if I wanted, or to hide material during a test. Don't know if that would work, though, just a thought...

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2003

When they put the first white boards up in my room they screwed plywood over the chalkboard first and then screwed the white board to that (so that it would be stable). Unfortunately they also superglued (or some other adhesive that won't come off) the white board to the plywood. Now that I need to replace it we'll just have to put the new white board on top of the old white board. So don't do that! :rolleyes:

Christy

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2003

Lestoil is a good cleaner- cheaper than 'whiteboard' cleaner!!