Inspirational/motivational movies?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by angeluv73, Sep 7, 2008.

1. angeluv73

angeluv73 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

In AVID we are watching Glory Road and I want to show more movies that are uplifting and motivational. I would like to have some curriculum that goes with them...anyone know a good film for 7th/8th grade students that we could use in class for disscussion, writing activities? Anyone know where to get lesson plans to go along with them?

3. lanternwaste27

lanternwaste27 New Member

Sep 7, 2008

I would recommend the Boys of Baraka. It is about how a group of inner city Maryland boys were taken to an American school in Kenya which it was believed would give them a different environment from the distractions of their home neighborhood. It also has a PBS site for using the video in the classrooms, with some lesson plans, etc., under the section that says For Educators. I have shown it at the college level, and some of my education majors thought it might be inspiring to children in the classroom. The documentary was also shown on PBS's Point of View television show.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

In my AVID class I show The Rookie, Rudy and October Sky. October Sky in particular is PERFECT for AVID. The special edition DVD has an interview with the Rocket Boys talking about how college was the only way out for them.

5. stepka

stepka Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I've not seen it yet, but I've heard great things about using "Pay it Forward" in the classroom.

6. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

I teach a Student Council elective and have used some AVID resources with my students and have just begun to explore the motivational movies myself.

I am planning to use Pay It Forward also... great movie, but just a heads up, it is rated PG13.

Currently we are watching An Inconvenient Truth. My students started a school wide recycling program at the end of last year and this has been a great way to talk about what we can do and issues they will undoubtedly face in their lifetime.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

Could you tell me what AVID is?