Insomnia

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Jan 4, 2011.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

Does anyone else suffer with it? I can fall asleep (tired when I go to bed), but I cannot STAY asleep. UGH. It only happens during the school year. It has been happening a lot more frequently lately.
    :yawn:

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

Yes. I used to have many sleepness nights. My doctor gave me some muscle relaxers that help me sleep all night.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

Muscle relaxers sound like heaven to me. I'm always stiff!

My husband and both daughters have been insomniacs for the past two nights. I think they are sort of like jet-lagged due to staying up later and sleeping in later over our break.

Having daughters who are awake means a mother who's awake, and I can sleep just fine, thank you!

Hope you get good zzzzzs tonight!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 4, 2011

I suffered from insomnia much like yours after my husband died. I could fall asleep but I couldn't stay asleep. I didn't want sleeping pills so my doctor recommended taking supplement called Valarin (sp?) and it did work but it smelled awful.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

It is so strange because I fall asleep, I just can't seem to stay asleep. I'm hesitant to take anything because I'm afraid of being too groggy in the AM.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

I just can't fall asleep. I'll often go weeks on end with 2-3 hours of sleep at night, if that. I haven't had that problem as much since I moved to ND, at least not during the winter months. I guess since it gets dark so much earlier, my body starts winding down that many hours sooner.

I just dealt with it. Eventually, I will crash and sleep for 12-14 hours, get up for a few hours, then sleep another 12 hours or so. Then, I would have a few weeks of "normal" (which for me is 5-6 hours, but I'm good with that...it's where I feel the most refreshed), and then another bout where I couldn't sleep.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 4, 2011

Oh wow mmswm, I don't know if I could handle only 2-3 hours of sleep for a long period of time. Even if I could crash and catch up, I think it would take a toll on my health. That is what I'm worried about now and I'm probably getting about 4 hours of sleep probably a little less. It just doesn't seem like enough for me. I think I need at least 6.5 hours to feel rested.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2011

It's pretty typical for members of my father's side of the family to need very little sleep. 5-6 hours is all I need normally. My father wakes up after 4. Any more than that, and I get grumpy from sleeping too much. 4 hours is perfectly fine for me, and it's what I usually get. I will go weeks though on far less. This summer was very difficult for me, again, I think, because of the number of daylight hours here. During the summer, the sun comes up before 6am and doesn't go down until 10pm. As a result, I would frequently not be able to get to sleep until around 4am, then I would wake with the sun an hour or so later.

10. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

I really need 8! I always felt lazy, but really, I feel tired after a week of only 6-7 hours (school week), and need a lie-in on Saturday.

My husband also seems to be able to fall asleep without trying anytime between 3:00 and 9:00. He'll conk out after dinner, but wake up and be awake all night. When he forces himself to stay awake til bedtime, a second wind hits and he's up late anyway.

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 4, 2011

I had a period of time when I had a terrible bout with insomnia. I saw my doctor and got a prescription for Ambien, and it did work wonders!

They only gave me 10 at a time but I didn't abuse them. I used one and a half prescriptions, and have half left. After using the Ambien for awhile, the problem went away. I have them if I need them, but I don't use them.

12. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 4, 2011

I had the same experience with Ambien. Last time I saw my doctor I told him my insomnia seemed to have disappeared. He just laughed and said that it happens all the time. Once our system knows there's help for it, we relax and go to sleep without medication. Oh, and a new pillowtop mattress might have helped too.LOL:)

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011

This is an on and off curse for me - sometimes I can't fall asleep, sometimes I can't go back to sleep. So frustrating.... I can't turn my brain off, get my husband to stop snoring, my young adult kids to stop coming home in the middle of the night, my dogs to stop barking at wid animals in the yard, my pains to stop aching, etc. etc. etc.

Don't want to take pills but the bags under my eyes are getting bigger by the moment - lol!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

I've never been a GOOD sleeper.

During my black cloud period, I spent many many many nights wide awake.

In fact, that's how I came acrosss so much of my Disney knowledge. It was either research Disney or Breast Cancer, so Disney it was. I learned an incredible amount of information during those sleepless nights.

When I really needed the sleep, I would try to get back to sleep for an hour. If that didn't work, I took my pillow to the couch (where there's always a blanket.) I turned the TV on to Nick at Night-- so the show would be something I was familiar with and could follow with my eyes closed. Then I would turn the volume so low that I could just barely hear it.

Some nights I nodded off. And some nights, I listened to The Nanny and Three's Company for several hours.

I've never been one for medication unless it was absolutely necessary, so I didn't choose to go that route.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

My husband has been taking melatonin which is a natural sleep aid and works wonders for him. He takes a small dose and usually sleeps very well.

16. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 5, 2011

Oh, I tried melatonin first... it doesn't work for everyone! It put me to sleep, but then every time I took it my dreams were RACING. It was like I was on speed or something, and while I was sleeping, my mind got no rest and my heart rate must have been up. My dreams were so fast and bizarre, I would wake up and it wouldn't be like I slept at all. That happened about 3 nights in a row (I wasn't sure if it was just weird dreams or the melatonin) and then I tried it again about a week later one more time and confirmed it. Weird! But yes, it works for many people!

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

Last night was horrible. I fell asleep but was up about an hour later. Dozing on and off the entire night with really weird dreams. I kept waking up nearly every hour. I wish I knew what was going on. blah! I had those without the Melatonin, froggy. Oh...I am on antibiotics for an infection...perhaps that could cause strange dreams? The insomnia has been going on a long time before I got sick though.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 5, 2011

This is me every night. Then around one or so, I stumble to bed. I wake up at 5 when son leaves for football and weightlifting. I then snooze until alarm goes off at 6.

19. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 5, 2011

I have chronic insomnia. I havent slept naturally (without prescription or OTC drugs) in about 8 years. I have tried all the prescription drugs, and also melatonin and velarian root. I currently take 2 benadryl and 1 melatonin every night. I was on Ativan for about two years. I have thought about going cold turkey and seeing if I can establish a normal sleep pattern, but the thought gives me great anxiety. I would much rather take sleeping pills my while life and have some relief, than not take medication and struggle.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011

I sleep pretty well, but here are a few things I do that I have seen on various shows before:

1. I take the amino acid L-Tryptophan - yes, the stuff in turkey. It is a sleep aid but also helps you produce seratonin so it is a mood enhancer as well. Just helps me feel less worn down and stressed and anxious.

2. If you can't get back to sleep after a few minutes, get up. Don't toss and turn. Watch tv or unload the dishwasher or something. Stay up for 30 minutes, then try to go back to bed for 30 minutes. If you still can't sleep, get up for another 30. Keep doing this process until you can sleep.

3. Make sure the bed is only for sleeping(and maybe one other thing. ) Do not watch tv, read, eat, etc. in bed. Then the expectation for your body is that when you are there, you are sleeping.

4. Keep paper by the bed. If your mind is racing with things to do before you sleep, jot them down. You will feel better about not forgetting to do XY and Z and will be able to relax. Even better, make a to do list before you go to bed for the next day, and then put it aside and spend a little time doing something else before bed.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2011

Normally I'm a pretty good sleeper, but the past few nights my mind has been racing and that doesn't make for good sleeping. It's probably because school started back, and it will begin to get better as the year progresses.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2011

I've had some trouble sleeping the last few nights.

It might be because I started streaming instrumental surf music through my iPod. It keeps waking me up and when it does, I really like the song and have to get up and check my iPod to see what the band is.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 5, 2011

I just started waking up about every hour or two (just like you.) The other night I woke up and thought for sure it had to be about 5:30 in the morning, got up and looked at the clock and it was 2:30 a.m. I felt so ready to get up for the day! Been making myself go back to sleep, but it usually involves a bathroom trip, a couple of crackers and milk, and a couple of aspirin if I feel achy or uncomfortable. I hope it has to do with our extra hard winter weather we're all enduring this Dec/Jan. I think the weather affects us more than we realize.

24. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 5, 2011

I haven't been able to sleep since leaving my job in August. I have no schedule at all which has made my sleep schedule wacky. It doesn't help that I'm a light sleeper and when I get woken up- I'm up.

My boyfriend leaves at 7:30 .. I'm usually up by 7:45/ 8:00 the latest (he's not the quietest person in the world and wakes me up as he's attempting to 'quietly say goodbye')

Boyfriend gets home around 5:15, we eat dinner usually no later than 7p.m. and by 9:30/10:00 we're going to bed.

I'll be exhausted and when I close my eyes feel as if I'm falling asleep but never do. Usually it's between 1-2a.m. before I actually completely fall asleep. Lately it's been 3a.m., 4a.m. and a few weeks ago I was falling asleep around 5:30a.m. (I'm up by 8 no matter what time I fall asleep)

I've come to find ways to make myself more tired… I'll pull out my iPhone and play scrabble or battleship until the screen gets so blurry I can't see. I started a book when I woke up this morning and just read the last 220 pages of it tonight. I'll get a lot of reading done this way! HA!

25. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 6, 2011

I re-arranged my bedroom furniture today. That's guaranteed to make for a long night.

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2011

Try Having Insomnia, Tinnitus and Sleep Apnea.
    The Insomnia has gotten worse and the Sleep Apnea has gotten better.
    the Tinnitus stays mostly the same.
    Why can all get better at the same time?
    BTW it is 3:00 AM here

27. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 6, 2011

I am usually a great sleeper, at least 8 hours a night. Go to bed at 10 up at 6ish....lately, I have been waking up at 4 and not able to get to sleep again. Like Sarge, I loaded some music on my IPOD and that seems to help.

28. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 6, 2011

I've been up since four....... I might try and go back to sleep.

29. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2011

I am an insomniac who had trouble falling to sleep. My.dr. Gave me Ambien which helped me fall to sleep, but I would wake up & couldn't stay sleeping. My dr. gave me.Ambein CR which allows you to sleep thru the.night.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 6, 2011

Before I go to bed I have to make sure i'm falling over tired, or I will wake up in the middle of the night. I found that I have to read in bed for 15-30 minutes. Then, I when I can't keep my eyes open any longer I turn out the light. If I dont' do this I am guaranteed to be up around 2am. I went to bed early last night, around 9:45, and only read for 5 minutes. I then woke up at 12:30 and 2:30.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 6, 2011

Every once in a very blue moon, I can't fall asleep right away due to things on my mind, but 99.9% of the time, I'm a night owl & when I'm sleepy, I fall asleep quickly & have a full night's sleep & never really wake up in the middle of the night.