insider took the job but can you please look at this....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tripletsteacher, Jun 21, 2008.

1. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Jun 21, 2008

Well I called yesterday to find out about the unadvertised 4th grade job the principal told me about last week. The resource teacher took the job. At my son's soccer game this morning, a friend came over to tell me that the principal's wife said they were ready to hire me for that position. It was great to hear, but someone inside took it. I am not qualified for resource teacher so that leaves me out. I am sort of friends with the principal's wife and was glad to hear she was talking about it to someone else. I would like to write a short thank you for his advice on my cover letter and consideration for that job. He is a stickler for writing, and I am afraid to make a single mistake. Are my quotations correct? It has been awhile since I quoted. Also, in his conversations over the last week, he mentioned just when he thinks something is going to zig-it zags. I used that in my letter because of him saying it. What do you think?

Dear Mr. M,

Your advice and consideration in my search for a teaching job was more than appreciated. I have set aside my 4th grade parent letter for now. Yes, I know I was getting ahead of myself, but my excitement overcame reality. I am hoping for another zig in the zag to come along in the future. I believe persistence is an excellent quality in a teacher, and hopefully my continued persistance in pursuing a teaching job at your school will not annoy you. Mr. R (the superintendent) stated in one of his newsletters, “We will not go to the bottom of the well as some districts have in the hiring process of staff.” I can assure you that I am not at the bottom of that well. Again, thanks for your time. Please keep me in mind for any postions that may become available over the summer.

Sincerely,

Brenda Clkjlkjlkj

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2008

I just made a few suggestions. I don't think you should put anything about annoying him. You want to keep the letter positive, and "annoying" is a negative word.

4. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Jun 21, 2008

Thanks and Congrats again!! I wrote that about the 4th grade parent letter sort of as a joke because it is the job he was actually considering me for and found out today was going to offer me. I wanted to show how excited I was about that possibility, and I did actually think about writing a parent letter. He all but told me I had that job as long as no one inside claimed it. I was so disappointed! I will change the annoying part.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2008

You don't want to imply that in the letter. And nothing is a done deal until you have signed that contract!

6. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

I agree with smalltowngal. I would totally omit the 4th grade parent letter comment -- it just sounds a little weird and slightly like a complaint (you don't want to guilt the man).

Your advice and consideration in my search for a teaching job was more than appreciated. This is a nit-picky, I know, but this sentence is in passive voice. When writing formal documents, some people (maybe the writing stickler?) discourage the use of passive sentences. This sentence written in active voice would look like this: "I appreciate your advice and consideration ..." Active voice is more powerful, but both are grammatically correct.

I believe persistence is an excellent quality in a teacher, and hopefully my continued persistance in pursuing a teaching job at your school will not annoy you. Could you possibly say, "I believe persistence is an excellent quality in a teacher, and hopefully my continued persistance in pursuing a teaching job at your school will pay off in the future," or something along those lines? I would not use the word "annoy" in a thank you letter. Keep it positive!

To answer your question about the quote, it is grammatically correct.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2008

EEEK- I hate the superintendent's quote- not that you used it, just that he said it...I think I'd leave that out, too...:2cents:

8. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

My immediate thoughts as well.

9. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 21, 2008

I appreciate your consideration and advice regarding my search for a teaching position. I believe that my continued persistance in obtaining a position along with my excellent qualifications will have a positive outcome. I am certain there will be a zig in the zag in the future that will make this possible. I believe that I would be an excellent fit at XYZ elementary school and I hope that you will keep me in consideration for any future openings at your school. Again, thank you.

Something along those lines...short but sweet...

10. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 21, 2008

I agree with nayelismom. I like her version. I think most principals like "short and sweet." :)