Inside Recess

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by agdamity, Jan 9, 2015.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 9, 2015

We are 1:1 Chromebooks in my grade. Since every student has access to a computer all day, every day, we are highly encouraged to have students on the computers daily at some point during our instruction. I integrate it as much as I can, and the students do use them daily during class for some purpose or another. Some days, like today, they have them out a lot. My fine art class today was computer lab, then students used the computers during class for their Reflex math fluency program, and this afternoon typed paragraphs in a Google Doc to share with me. I feel like it is quite a bit of screen time.

I say all that to ask, what are your best inside recess activities? I do have some board games, but all some of them want to do is play on the computer. I don't want to ban computers for every inside recess, but I don't think they need them every day. The ones who always want on, are also the ones who use personal electronic devices while they wait on the bus for 30 minutes after school, then play on them some more at home.

Suggestions?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 9, 2015

You could always make it an activity for days when you don't have much class-related screen time? I don't know what the best way to do that would be though... It's definitely understandable to not want them in front of their computers all day though.
    Maybe make it a Friday thing or something they have to earn for indoor recess?

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 9, 2015

I let my kids go on the iPads during indoor recess, but they get very little screen time at school. Those few iPads are all the screens I have in my classroom and our scheduled computer lab time is minimal. If I had a 1:1 classroom I'd be encouraging other activities for down time. Many kids are also going home to a lot of screen time, so I try to not over do it at school, too.

5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jan 10, 2015

It sounds like you're doubting whether they should be sitting around using electronics all day. I would have the same thought. Recess is a time for movement and conversation -- they need to get their bodies active at some point in the day (most kids only have PE for less than an hour, and two recesses all day if they're lucky). It will help them function better when it's time to learn.

There are a lot of dance videos on youtube that are kid-friendly -- search "Just Dance." You could also play "Red Light/Green Light" with running in place, jumping jacks, or other aerobic activities -- we do these while counting and skip-counting during math. You could have different students lead the others in Simon Says, and make the activities more physical. You could separate the class into teams and have them hit a beach ball into the other team's side of the room.

I agree with miss-m that it might be OK to have one or two students earn the iPad at recess, but they definitely need some time OFF the screen, too. :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2015

Our students are not allowed to use technology at recess, unless they are under the direct supervision of a teacher. During indoor recesses, our students talk, play cards or board games, draw, catch up on homework, or watch videos that the teacher puts on.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 10, 2015

I don't doubt they have too much screen time! I would prefer they not be on them, but I don't have duty during inside recess most of the time. We all have one day a week of duty, so we have to roam the hall and supervise 4 classes. I'm looking for activities I can leave that the students can do without having to be directly led by an adult.

I do like the game activities though. I could easily have a student lead those.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 10, 2015

Sorry, I hit post too early! It's also not all of my students, just a select few. The other day, I had a large group having a talent show!

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

I would definitely put a limit on what days or what amount of time they can use the computer during indoor recess. I don't have activities because the students aren't my responsibility during indoor recess. But this year they've started doing simple little exercise games (jumping jacks, etc.) to keep the kids moving a little bit during recess. I'm sure you could find something online or on CD with "active" activities that are appropriate for indoors and can help get the kids moving a little bit which is the point of recess after all though so difficult in the winter.

10. Teach2015

Teach2015 Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

You should check out a website I discovered recently called "gonoodle" . c o m

It is free and easy to make an account and I've used it for indoor recess before. If you have a smartboard in your classroom you can set up the kid friendly video's. They have movement breaks and kid friendly zumba activities. Some kids love it... however, the older kid's may not think it's "cool"... but you can be the judge of that one..

watch a few videos yourself ... see if this is something the kids can do...

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2015

This!:thumb:

In the past I've let kids go on approved sites during indoor recess but I found it just wasn't productive and ended up wasting time after recess...for instance they would want to print some thing they created but couldn't without permission which would result in lost instructional time, I'd have to sign off my desktop before recess and then have to restart my computer afterward to take afternoon attendance, there was an incident of a keyboard key being pounded too hard during a game and popping off...basically kids weren't well supervised and without a focused directive for what to do with technology they couldn't really handle it. So there is no more technology this year during recess...and no one has asked to use it surprisingly!
    My kids have plenty of indoor games, art materials, books, etc with which they keep busy and which are easier for a lunch para to supervise.

12. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 28, 2015

Our 5th and 6th graders have Chromebooks too and they use them in most of their classes- so it is a lot of screen time. They have been banned from using their laptops because of poor choices of where students were going on the internet unfortunately, but normally our students are allowed to go on them 2 school days a week when we are having a bunch of indoor recesses in a row.

Something that we're doing- based on student feedback- is that homeroom teachers are surveying the students to see what games (like board games, etc) students want to play and we will be designing indoor recess totes filled with those games.

You might want to do something similar for your students- see what they want to play or offer them to bring in a game to play that they have at home.

13. jsauer

jsauer Rookie

Jan 28, 2015

-First in Math
    -Study Island