Inside Recess

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Dec 10, 2005

I think it's so interesting to discover "how cold" is "too cold", depending on your state's climate. Just goes to show that it's all relative, huh? :) In our school district, we stay in if the temp with wind chill is zero degrees or below. Otherwise we're out getting some fresh air. :)

My 1st and 2nd graders choose puzzles, checkers, Etch-A-Sketch, Magnadoodle, MarbleWorks, Legos, wooden train set, Uno, dominoes, Lite Brite, CandyLand, Chutes and Ladders, etc. for inside recess. Most things I've gotten at garage sales or consignment shops. Sometimes we watch a video. This week it was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. We stayed in all week, :crosseyed so by Friday afternoon, we'd seen the whole movie! :( Sure wish they could've gotten outside ... This next week should be a bit warmer!

~Jaicie :)

2. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2005

OMG= I'm so glad I don't do recess. I have an hour duty-free lunch everyday..It's up to the paras to make sure the kids are busy and well-behaved... I have a closet of games, math manipulatives and games I have taught, movies, art supplies, etc....to keep them busy. My kids seem to love stencils and markers/art supplies/glitter/glue........As long as they clean up by the time I get back!!!:)

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

LOL! We do have recess duty. Once a month I have it on two days (30 minutes before school and then 2 15-minute recesses). I took the kids outside the other day because I knew it would be the last one for the week due to the weather. It was a little over 40 degrees and I thought the kids were going to die! They were all in one huge group huddled around me whining, "Can we pllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeee go in??" Of course living in Louisiana that is cold for us! :D

4. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2005

I took ours out the other day and it was 37ish. I think a few asked to go in but I told them to run laps and they would warm up. Has anyone ever noticed that kids (not all of course) don;t know HOW to play outside. I notice on the play ground a lot just walk around. I think they all watch too much tv and spend too much time playing play station games.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2005

Haha I guess I'm a weather wimp, it's been about 20 degrees here, and I'm freezing! I've never been so cold! I can't believe some of you are talking about negatives...

The Bang! game is really fun.
    Write the kid's spelling words, sight words, etc. on strips of paper or index cards. Put them in a can (a peanut or oatmeal one works well). Mix in a few cards that say Bang! on them. The kids take turns drawing a card- if they can read it they keep it, if not it goes back in the can. If you get a Bang! card you lose your whole stack. The person with the most cards at the end wins.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 10, 2005

I was a friendly sociable little girl, but I absolutely hated organized games in grade school. I would have given anything for a haven to sit quietly and just read and be left alone sometimes, in school. Why is there nothing for little kids like that? Why does it have to be group this, group that, participate, participate, participate, play games, run around, etc. Grade school for me was just sitting in the hall tutoring slow kids, and being forced to play ball in the freezing cold. A sub in second grade took my Reader's Digest away from me once! I almost passed out from horror and intense boredom.

I'm serious. Why? I've had students tell me they were the same way, and the part of school that is supposedly fun for most kids was the worst part of their day. Recess. I still have nightmares about it.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 10, 2005

We've been stuck inside all week, and it has NOT been fun. The gym is used all the time except 3 hlaf-hour blocks a week, which is when us PReK-ers get to use it. On the 3 days we didn't get any gym time at all, I swear we're all going stir-crazy. We have a motor room that we use opposite our lunch, but it isn't the same thing.

Good thing it's warmer this week. As long as my kids have boots and snow pants, we can play outside. YAY!

We judge it ourselves for temp... below 30 or so, or if it's wind chill below about 15, we don't usually take our pre-k special ed kidso ut, regardless of what the school policy is. :)

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2005

Jane, I agree with you on this one. I was very sociable as well, but hated all those stupid recess games . I would try to play catch and would always sprain my very long fingers(so much for piano practice that week!) Yea what would be wrong with letting kids have that time to read a book??? I hated the physical part of school and the competition...just didn't care if I beat someone in a sport or whatever. Didn't care to run around and get all sweaty and then go back to class. As for classroom group games, I don;'t know why I can't really remember playing them. WEll, it was the stone age so maybe we were carving our weapons out of stone or something instead.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2005

For our kids, indoor recess = free time (without limits of course). They can play board games or cards, draw, read, chat with their friends, make crafts, etc. the only stipulation is that they have to stay in their own classroom (no visiting to other rooms). I strongly agree that they need some "down time" every day.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 11, 2005

This year because our number is so high our indoor recess consists of watching tv or listening to music and visiting. There's not much room once you get 60+ kids in a tiny classroom. Every spare surface has a tush on it. As for outside we don't do organised games at all. We have playground equipment available (basketballs, soccerball, playground balls, jump ropes, etc) the kids that want to play with them do, we also have picnic tables (well a couple are left that the high school kids haven't destroyed yet), a covered shed with benches, and monkey bars. Some kids just hang around them and visit. My last outdoor recess before the cold one there were two little girls hanging upside down off the monkey bars reading. They pretty much have free range out there.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2005

Oops, just reread the post I wrote at 6:30 this morning BC (before coffee). It should read (within limits of course).

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2005

I was thinking without limits would be quite rowdy! LOL

13. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Dec 11, 2005

I stick my 4 corner person in the center of the room. One way you could fix the peaking is to have a caller box like a refrigerator box around them.

14. sm76

sm76 Rookie

Dec 12, 2005

At my school, the kids stay inside if the actual temperature or the windchill is -20 C or below (that's about -4 F). Living in a Winter climate, the kids are all usually very well dressed, and it's not an issue to go out for 15 to 30 minutes.

If we do have them stay inside, the teachers who would normally supervise outside at that time supervise the hallway, and the rest of us don't miss our coffee break because of it. The kids are expected to play quietly or draw/colour etc. It's really up to the individual teacher what they leave their class doing.

I teach Grade One, and my kids don't normally take a snack outside for recess, so I have about 10 minutes before recess for them to eat a snack usually. On inside days, I let them play for that 10 minutes, and then they eat their snack during the inside recess. It keeps them seated, and makes it easier for the supervisor.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 12, 2005

There's no way our duty teachers would be expected to roam the halls to keep an eye on the kids. We have 12 classrooms of 25 kids in 2nd grade and 13 classrooms of 21 kids in 3rd grade. All 2nd grade has recess at the same time so, we stay in our own rooms if it's inside recess. We also have classrooms in modulars (which is where I am). Now, my next door neighbor and I can slip out for a quick bathroom break while the other watches both classrooms.

Thankfully the weather looks as to be no inside recess this week.
    Yeah! I did buy a fun game a Tuesday Mornings I'm anxious for the kids to try out. It's a four person game, kind of like bingo with a twist. Each player gets their own board which has a bunch of pictures on it. The players take turns saying a picture and putting a marker on that picture. The twist is that the other players get to put their marker on the same picture, which is in a different spot. The goal is to make an unbroken path from one side of the game board to the other.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

We've had 3 days in a row of indoor recess...I won't be in school tomorrow and I'm actually kind of glad because with another day of indoor recess (b/c of the cold temps, but not nearly as cold as some of you guys!) I think I might go crazy. I almost feel bad for whoever subs for me tomorrow:)

I wish my kids all came well-dressed...but I have a lot of low income families who just don't dress their kids warmly. Its very sad. When they aren't dressed appropriately I sometimes keep them inside to play a game with me...they like that a lot, but I feel bad because I know how much they love being outside, too.

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

I keep lots of extra warm clothing on hand for kids who don't have any to wear or forget. They are not the greatest because they are second hand , but they do the trick!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Dec 14, 2005

Thats a good idea, Grammy. Our nurse supposedly has some things, but she's been very rude lately so I try not to bother her. Its just a shame for the kids.

19. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 14, 2005

My teacher would play MadLibs with us.

(Know that I'm student teaching, and have experienced indoor recess I know why my teachers always hated it).

20. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2005

Taught PE for 26 years and a few of those days
    has been inside. Kings chase queens is good for awhile
    with younger ones. 4 corners is ok (but cover the head
    of the one that is it in the middle so they can hear the movement).
    Heads up seven up is fun for awhile. Doggy doggy who has the bone
    is like seven up. I recently did a game where you have 3 kids up front. All observe them. Then they go out and change one small
    thing about one of them and return. The class tries to discover what
    is different. My kids favorite game is 20 questions. I have had some great questions and you can see the wheels turning in some kids heads as they learn how to ask the right questions. Bean bags thrown into small hula hoops is fun. I would invest in some scooter boards if the rooms is big enough. You could make up many games
    with them. Ive taken mats and done leg wrestling. Sorta like arm wrestling but done lying on their backs and hooking the lower legs.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 15, 2005

I gave a list of things my kids can do for the next inside recess. They're really excited for it now. Here it is:

Links (the neat game I bought): 2-4 players
    Hangman:2-4 players
    Computers:1-3 people
    Money (another neat game I bought): 2-4 players
    Pattern Blocks: 2 people
    4 Across: 2 players
    Read: whoever wants to

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Miss W,
    That's what I did basically, set up little activity centers. Then I had games in one of my lower cupboards...link-n-logs, bop it and other stuff. All of my games were hand me downs from my 2nd grade teacher who retired and gave me her stuff becuz I got a job there!!! I know the recess people who watched them loved that I had gone over what could/couldn't be done!!!

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 15, 2005

I'm going to try and go to the Dollar Tree over Winter Break and get a game of checkers. I've got a game of chess, but I don't want to spend the time trying to teach the kids how to do it. I guess I could just tell them to play it like checkers for now.

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 15, 2005

Checkers...that's a nice quiet one. I don't know how to play chess so that's what I would do!!! Maybe some easy puzzles at the dollar tree, you know like 25 pieces or something!!!

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 15, 2005

That's probably what I'll do. I've got some pretty nice games that I use to teach different concepts but they're really involved. It takes an hour or so to play them. The kids love them, but we only have 25 minutes for recess.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 15, 2005

My kids love Mancala. This week they've been playing with the dreidels. Outburst is a good one for small groups. I have lots of individual games, too. Barnes & Noble has a good selection.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

I am not too sure how many students are in your school, but when I taught in Canada we usually had less than 300 students in our school. During inside recess we used to have our students walk the halls. Everyone went the same direction and the teachers that were to do outside recess supervision, supervised the teachers in the hall. They usually played music over the intercom system. It wa a bit noisy but it allowed the students to burn off some energy and time to talk to their peers in their class and in other classes. Sometimes the teachers worked it out that some students in the older class will walk with their younger students. Some teachers chose to keep their students in their class, but it was their choice to give up their 20 minute break. I loved it.

I am now teaching special education and have only 9 students. During inside recess, I may give them special coloring sheets and they get to use their markers. I also quiz them on material we have covered that week, a month ago, at the beginning of the year ... and give them tally marks for correct answers. And at the end of the week I give the person with the most tally marks a prize or a ticket (part of my behavior management system) to earn a chance to visit the treasure box. This is great because I can tailer the questions to each students - some hard, some easy (I have students in K, 1 and 2 in my class) and it is great for informal assessment. The students can choose to participate or not and they lose their turn if they give someone the answer. Sometimes I let my students to ask another student for a hint or I may give them a hint if they are getting frustrated or not earning any tally marks.

They also really enjoy my math manipulatives. I pull out old math center activities (ie. patterning with unifex cubes or colored tiles - they have to draw their pattern, name it (using A, B, C ) and rename it (ie. using color words, names of fruit ....). I choose activities that they can do independently. I also have specific games/puzzles/manipulatives that I ONLY take out for inside recess or parties and they know it is a privilege to play with these toys and are usually wonderfully behaved.

In the past I also used inside recess as a time for my students to practice walking appropriately in the hallway, if they are displaying a lot of inappropriate behavior while walking in the hallway. I let each of them have a turn being the leader (remember I only have 9 students) and they practice walking in a straight line without talking and their hands to their sides, facing front, waiting at the corners, not leaning on the walls when we are stopped in the hallway, wait for teacher directions - not student directions, keep up with the class... The fun wears off in the first 5 minutes especially when they understand that they are missing something fun in the classroom due to their inappropriate behavior. I found that I only needed to do this 4 times this year and I think I had to do it this many times because my students had to learn that they had to listen to my paraprofessionals in the hallway when I was not with them.

Hope this helps.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

We have 300+ 2nd graders and 300+ 3rd graders (24 classrooms). Six of our classrooms are outside in modulars. I'm in one of those modulars. We also share facilities (Gym, Cafeteria, & Library) with the 4th and 5th grade school that is next to us. We actually had to "borrow" a classroom from them for our art room. It's quite funny to see 2nd graders down in that school with the "big" 5th graders. we can't wait till our new school is finished. I'll actually have a classroom inside (although it will be on the second floor).

It's just so crazy. I think I've come up with a type of center like game station. When the kids come in the morning, they choose what they're doing for lunch and then what they will be doing if we have inside recess. I've got the games that I posted on post #61 in a file folder and they put their name card behind which ever they want to do.

29. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

Looks great!

30. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Dec 28, 2005

Hands on science projects let students move around also. They also need a free time to socialize. Puzzles. A good one is putting the states where they are locate --State Map. Get games at the thrift shop, Salvation Army, Goodwill Stores. We have electronic Battleship. It is expensive. But worth the money, because it is a great strategy teacher. Buy a beach ball at the Dollar Store and put math facts on the ball. Where ever the right thumb catches the ball the student says the fact and answer and sits down so every student gets to play.

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 28, 2005

I need some good computer games from online. I've got some really neat I-Spy games, but I'm saving those for the end of the day fillers for the whole class. They love them. I think I'm going to create a file on my web site with games I've tested. Right now the kids are doing SuccessMaker and KnowledgeBox but that is going to get old.

32. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 28, 2005

Along with a lot of the great games mentioned, I set up a puzzle corner in December. My class completed a 500 piece puzzle in 2 days! They also like the seek and find puzzles that are in the newspaper. I have copied a bunch and they can pull one out for inside recess.