Inservice begins next week, I FINALLY get to see my room today

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

I got really lucky when I landed this job because I know one of the teachers in another grade level at my new school. If it wasn't for her, I don't know what I'd do! My new P seems really great, but he didn't respond to my email about seeing my room...I'm hoping he's just slammed with inservice and forgot to reply....

I have no idea what to expect when I walk in. I've seen the office and that's it! I'm REALLY hoping for carpet, because chairs on linoleum drives me up a wall. I also have my fingers crossed for a whiteboard (chalk = gross), some math manipulatives, no missing manuals, and maybe a nice view :whistle:

I have visions of walking into a room with creaky desks, empty cupboards (or worse - no storage), old computers, etc. I'm also pretty heartbroken I won't have a Mimio anymore, but I *think* I might have a projector.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

Funny you should mention that...one of my friends refused to apply to schools with chalkboards and she only used markers. She ended up taking a job in the corporate world instead.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Fingers crossed! Make it work, Pisces!

Wow.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 8, 2012

Yeah, and she was only willing to teach about half the math courses (refused geometry, refused stats, only alg, pre-calc, and calc she was willing to do). The funny thing is she got two offers at decent schools, but turned them down for the higher paying corporate job.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Good riddance.:whistle:

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

You'll have to let us know what it's like! That is always a scary/exciting feeling. Even if it's ugly, you can make it pretty, I'm sure. :)

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Aug 8, 2012

What do you have against chalk?! I love it! I actually prefer it over SmartBoards and whiteboards. I just can't wear black slacks when I know I'm working with a chalkboard. I tend to subconsciously wipe my hands on my butt, so it ends up looking like I got groped...

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

Not this year! Dollar Tree is going to be my friend. In the past, I've spent about $300 on a new room, just can't swing it this year. Relocating is my priority. About the only thing I can afford at the teacher store this year is some name plates, lol

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Some are allergic to chalk dust...it's drying to your hands and skin...and as you point out, it's dirty.

That said, I do like a blackboard...so much that I painted a door in my kitchen with blackboard paint!:p we use it for favorite quotes, seasonal greetings, family love notes...:love:

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

You can still make it look nice with Dollar Tree stuff, though! ;)

As for those who don't like chalk, chalk markers work well.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 8, 2012

I had a student who was allergic to chalk. I hate working with it.

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

I'm really surprised she got a teaching job. She sounds like she would be more trouble than she was worth.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I hope it is perfect!

(Although, we both know that some NC schools can be about 40 years behind...)

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2012

Good luck! I hope the room is nice!

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2012

Dollar Tree was my best friend my first year teaching. Especially since I was paying for everything with the pay from my retail job.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

That's for sure!!! :2cents:

I tend to buy most of my "treasure chest" items there, too!

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2012

Hope you liked it...can't wait to hear how it was!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 8, 2012

Hooray, next week's unveiling!

I used to carry wet erase markers in my subbing bag and used those instead of chalk. They were less likely to rub off as I wrote (I'm a leftie) and stood out on the board. Also, it was tougher for students to alter.

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 8, 2012

Well, things didn't turn out quite like I hoped. I need to vent for a minute, then I'm going to try really hard to focus on the positives.

For starters, I've been given a trailer...errr, learning cottage. I've always been scared I would get one. It's old and creaky, complete with wood paneling and two dinky windows. To make matters worse, I'm on the complete opposite side of campus from my 6 teammates. My "learning cottage" used to be a music teacher's room last year, so there's xylophones, violins, guitars, and a piano in my room. :dizzy: As it stands now, I don't know when everything will be moved out. I didn't see ANY 2nd grade supplies, let alone an overhead. I'm sure over the next week they'll be brought in, but I was hopeful the departing teacher would leave behind stuff she didn't need. No such luck. There's also no storage to speak of, save for one closet jam-packed with music stuff.

There is a bright side, however. I have two whiteboards (placed next to one another, so it's like one big one) and 4 bulletin boards. I usually like to have one for myself, so that leaves me 3 to play around with. I figure having a cottage will allow me to be free from distractions, and there is an intercom and a phone that makes school calls.

So....I'm bummed about a lot of things, but at the end of the day I've landed a job in my dream district, and things could be a LOT worse. For those that have trailers, do you have tips for me? I'm wondering about stuff like:

* Bathroom breaks - do you send kids with a buddy?
    * Do you assign one student to open the door each time someone knocks?
    * How can I make it seem cozy without breaking fire codes?
    * How have you managed without storage? I think I've seen teachers lay file totes sideways, zip-tying them together to make shelves.

Also, I plan to check out VistaPrint and maybe make a welcome lawn sign :) If anyone has a coupon code, it'd be awesome if you could share!

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

Oh, wow!!!

It does sound bad, but I have heard from almost everyone who was in a portable that they absolutely loved it. So, maybe you will grow to like it. ;)

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

We have 7 trailers at my school. Luckily, I never had to be in one, but my best friend did.
    Some pros:
    - you control the temperature (if we had double-wide trailers, I would move just for this!!)
    -you don't really have to worry about the walls when decorating. And you don't have to get a ladder every time you want to put something up
    - you can be as noisy as you want!

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

We have 6 portables at my school. Some of the teachers love being out there and have asked not to be moved back into the school. It certainly makes it easy to take the kids outside for a couple of minutes on a nice day! The students do need to come into the school for a drink or to use the washroom with a partner. The students are encouraged to have water bottles in the classroom to minimize the need to leave for a drink. For us, the biggest aggravation is the limited number of pass keys to get back into the main building. Each teacher in a portable gets 2--one for herself and one for class use--but they invariably get lost, broken or de-magnetized which leaves everyone scrambling a bit.

Good for you to look for ways to make the best of a (possibly) not ideal situation.

24. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 9, 2012

I would die for a trailer...my own personal little island...unfortunately my district doesn't have them.