inseperable cousins

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherkasey, Oct 23, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 23, 2002

I have two boys in my class that are cousins. The one boy will not choose a station to play in, whether he wants to have snack, do a project, or anything else unless he knows exactly what his cousin is doing. And recently the second boy has been getting frustrated that his cousin will not make choices for himself or play anywhere other than with him.

Should I do anything about this situation? Is it hurting the boys socially to always be with each other and not forming frienships with others? (The one boy was out today, the other boy came in a hugged me andbroke down sobbing that he wasn't going to have fun because his cousin wasn't going to be there today). He did go on to have fun later in the day but I don't think this is healthy. I have tried separating them when we line up, different small groups to do projects, etc. but they always seem to find their way to being with each other. Help!:eek:

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 23, 2002

separating

I am an identical twin and needed to be in same class with my sister. For several reasons we were kept together. One, because we would work well, and were more content together. The fact that one talked while the other sucked her thumb all day was also important. We had our own twin language we would speak at a young age until we became school age and were 'learning' to be social and interact with others. How painful it must be for the needy cousin to be separated from his provider of comfort. Maybe you can incorporate a third child, then a fourth into their network. The rejection from the less needy (annoyed) cousin could be really hurtful. I am curious how other teachers would handle this.

On a professional note, I have been a teacher with brother/sister combination. Also, one year i had two boys who are brothers and their first cousin at the same time... AHHHHH

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2002

I have 2 sets of cousins in my room, all boys. Every once in a while I have problems, too much togetherness.

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 24, 2002

What grade do your teach? When I taught HeadStart, I had twin girls who eventually grew to be very independent of each other. Because of their young age, I allowed them to be together almost whenever they wanted to. The first year of school is a huge transition, and the kids will probably be seperated the following year.

6. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 24, 2002

I teach Kindergarten. The boys had gone to day care together before they came to my class. Then the one boys mother took him out of that day care. Now they are togehter in my Kindergarten class.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2002

I also teach Kindergarten. Between my teaching partner & myself we have a total of 4 sets of cousins. I have a set of 2 & a set of 3,all boys & my partner has 2 sets of 2, plus I have a cousin to one of her sets of cousins! With sets of 3 there's no way to seperate all of them.