Insane or summer time blues?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clynns, Jun 26, 2011.

1. clynns

clynns Companion

Jun 26, 2011

The end of this past school year couldn't have come soon enough for me... It was a rough year to say the least. I've been out for two weeks now and I'm beginning to miss school so much. I find that I'm already thinking about what I should do better for next year and why I should already be doing. Am I nuts or what??!? Does anyone else go through this and if so how in the world do you relax and enjoy the summer?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jun 26, 2011

Same here! I'm constantly looking at stuff online and trying to figure out what I am going to change next year.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

Sounds more like you are hopeful, optimistic, and competent. I say competent because people who reflect for improvement ideas are usually very competent!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Don't just think about it-- write it down, while your impressions fo the school year are still fresh in your mind. Then, as you relax a bit, come back to your list and figure out what you want to keep and what you want to change.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 27, 2011

Same here. I started thinking of what changes I am going to make the first day of vacation. :)
    I like keeping busy with school work. I take time to relax, like going fishing today, but I keep school work in the back of my mind!

7. cindy lou

cindy lou Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

I found that...

I found that this happens with me the most when I've had a rough year. I think it's something about wanting to let go of the old and make a fresh start after so much turmoil.
    Embrace it and think of it as a healing process, but don't go overboard!

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

I also make a list early in the sumer of things I want to research, read about, brainstorm, plan, etc. Then, I will work on school things for an afternoon maybe once a week. I think the joy of a 'fresh start' is a great perk of teaching, but you're right that you can drive yourself crazy worrying/thinking about it. I try to limit my list to a handful of 'must-dos' and then some things I'll tackle if I get around to them.

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

I was actually feeling a little down last week. Even a little depressed. I get like this every end of the school year.

I have lots of ideas and plans I want to implement for next year but I also need to give myself time to enjoy and relax so that I can recharge my batteries.

Many times I don't seem to enjoy summer that much as I should. I either have to many projects at home that I want to do or I spend a lot of time planning for next year.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2011

That's one of the reasons I decided to teach summer school. I don't handle down time well at all. Leaving my computer at home this weekend was difficult for me!

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

Completely normal and the signs of greatness in a teacher. Just don't spend every minute of your vacation on school.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2011

I think it's perfectly normal :)

I'll spend about 2 hours each morning working on school stuff M-F during the summer. During the school year I keep a little notebook of things I want to change or modify for the next year, and then I work on them over the summer.

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 27, 2011

This is a great idea.

14. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2011

That's why I got a part-time summer job :) I'll be working at a sleepaway camp for girls 4 days a week teaching horseback riding so I will still get to teach but there are no grades or work to turn in and everyone wants to be there! This is my first summer as a teacher so we shall see how it works out =)

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2011

I love my list of ideas that I keep typed up to work on over the summer.

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

like chebrutta, I set up a schedule for myself to work on school stuff. I have to set a schedule so I don't waste away the summer and get nothing done and on the flip side so I don't sit for hours at a time working on school stuff when I should be summering :)

17. clynns

clynns Companion

Jun 27, 2011

Thanks for all the comments! It's so nice to know that I'm not alone. :)

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2011

Don't worry your are normal. This marks our 5th week of summer vacation. I spent the first week doing NOTHING, cleaning house and spending time with my kids. Our school district does summer camps.(My kids are attending) They go from 8:30 until 2:00 Mon-Thurs and will end this week. I have helped a teacher friend move from one room to another and then I have spent time in my room working on things that I can improve for next year. Also just doing little things so that when we do come back on I can focus on the bigger stuff such as a curriculum change. My principal has asked me several times if I am taking a vacation and for the first time in many years, I am actually taking a vacation in July. I am not taking ANY work with me!!!! I will have about a week when I come home before I have to go to some workshops for three days. I don't ever stop thinking of things to change or improve.

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2011

Did I write this post under a different name?????????

Seriously I could have written your post. This last year was the roughest year I've had as a teacher. I couldn't wait to get out of school, but now a few weeks out and I am craving for school. So at least you're in good company:p

20. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 28, 2011

I slept for about a week, now I'm ready to go back. :lol:

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 29, 2011

Clynns,

I, too, had a rough group (in fact, it was the toughest class I've had in six years).

Anyway, you're not alone--I miss school, too! Although, I feel as though my batteries have just started to charge and I'm certain that once the first week of August arrives, I'll be more than ready to start working in my classroom.

Do many of your friends happen to be teachers? We (my teacher friends and I) have already had a couple of get-togethers (in fact, we're having a luncheon tomorrow). Is there a way you could get together with teacher friends and talk about summer plans, etc.?

Enjoy your break--put your feet up, relax, do some shopping, and take a few day trips!

HUGS!

22. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 29, 2011

You are reflecting.....that is an awesome practice for all teachers. Often, we reflect the best after a difficult year...that's when we learn the most.

Write down your thoughts as already suggested. Also, remember that reflecting is good...but appreciating your strengths is also good. Focus on what you want to change for next year but don't forget to also give yourself a pat on the back.

23. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Jun 29, 2011

This month, I've been working part-time job...the only school-related things I've done are comb yard sales for teacher related items and look through these forums..I'm moving to a new school, so all of my professional books are packed (didn't have room to store them at home)..not sure if my stuff has been moved into my new room or even my new school..hopefully it is soon so I can access some materials...

I'm in the process of painting my room and then getting new carpet for it, so after that is all done, I will start gradually putting myself back into a work frame of mind..start easy first..a couple of a hours a few times a week on professional books, etc...

24. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 29, 2011

Like you, I also had a horrible year this past year. I could not wait for it to be OVER. I'm usually ready to go back by now, or at least I'm planning like crazy. However, I've been so busy planning my wedding I haven't had time to miss school yet. :D

25. clynns

clynns Companion

Jul 1, 2011

:) I love it!