Inquiry activity - plants???

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Science_teacher, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

Hi all,

A few days back I had posted a message regarding some hands on activities on plants and I got great ideas. Thanks!

Now, I am looking for some activities related to plants which are inquiry based and require critical thinking skills. Something where students can make observations, analyze the data and draw certain conclusions.

I would really appreciate it if people can share their ideas.

3. Emma1

Emma1 Companion

Mar 22, 2008

Inquiry

Check out the exploratorium website, pbs teacher resources, NSTA etc. you may find something interesting. THere is one specifically for bio. I can't seem to remember the name. I will look it up. Also try the scholastic teacher resources. These are all inquiry based. I saw an inquiry based acitivity on ecosystems in the scholastic books. Hope this helps.
    Emma:)

4. JustT

JustT Comrade

Mar 23, 2008

hmmmm..... at a HS level? I would imagine bio-diversity in the ecosystem is a hot topic.

5. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Here are a few suggestions:
    1. observing root growth in different types of soil (potting soil, peat moss, sand, gravel, school-yard soil, etc.)
    2. rate of germination of different seeds
    3. effects of global warming/acid rain on plants

6. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Thank you all for interesting ideas. I am going to try one of them.

Thanks.

7. KristysRedBarn

KristysRedBarn Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Early this year we exposed seeds to different factors, including bleach, radiation, the oven, freezer, microwave, hydrogen peroxide, weed killer, the oven, soaking them in water, etc. We then planted the seeds, along with a control group and recorded our data daily. At the end of three weeks the students had to make their conclusions. It was really interesting and the students were very into it.

8. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

Wow - that sounds like a very interesting activity. I will give it a try. Thank you so much.

9. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 27, 2008

That does sound really good...I will do this next year. We have a greenhouse in our outdoor classroom.

10. deenathumb

deenathumb New Member

Mar 28, 2008

You could put elodea 1/2 in salt water and 1/2 in water. Let it set for 24 hours. Then have the students make wet slide mounts using 1 leaf of the elodea of each type (salt water vs. water). Have the students observe the cell vacuoles and cell walls. They will notice that the salt water elodea is shrunken while the water elodea is full looking. They can draw the pictures of each, then using information concerning osmosis and diffusion, and turgor pressure, they can draw a conclusion about how the salt water draws the water out of the vacuole. Great lab to teach these concepts.

11. Science_teacher

Science_teacher Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Thank you so much! This is a great experiment. It covers lots of aspects about plants. I will try this one when I am teaching a lesson on plant cells.

Thank you again.