Input wanted for project using Cars movie

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by pi lover, Dec 4, 2006.

1. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

My consumer math class completed a chapter this quarter related to cars (loans, gas mileage, etc. etc.). I thought it would be fun to do a cross-curricular project with them using the new Cars movie. I never show movies, but I thought maybe I could use this one. I ordered a video on historical Route 66 to show the kids. I want them learn a little history. I want them to also incorporate their math skills while picking a car to "drive", pick 2 cities to "travel" between, calculate and compare how far it would be to travel using Route 66 versus the modern route, write a short paper comparing the routes between their cities, etc. At the end I want to show the Cars movie to see if they can pick out things in the movie that were based on real people, places and events. IF you have any input regarding this, it would be appreciated. I want it to be a fun project--but educational as well. :)

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2006

This sounds fun to do!!!
    Could you do something with gas price as well? How much gas would cost for the route 66 or modern travel? I was just thinking it would also go along with the movie..Flo's V8 diner!!!

4. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Yes, somehow I plan to incorporate calculating cost of gas, etc. I found some very intesting trivia on the internet about the movie. The movie was very cleverly written as far as the names of the characters, types of vehicles, etc. I'll try to post that site later. It was fun reading. I'm anxious to see the movie again to see if I can find the little details I've been reading about. This project may end up being more history than math, but I don't mind. It's a nice change of pace for my students. The Cars movie will come at the end after we've studied Route 66 a bit and practiced the math skills related to travel. If anyone has any other suggestions or has a good site to use, let me know. Thanks!

5. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Dec 4, 2006

WARNING

Though this sounds like a great idea, I must tell you that this could be problematic. I don't know if you've ever taken any courses in copyright law or if you know anything about it or not. Disney is THE strictest copyright owner out there. That goes for Pixar or any company like that. I think Cars is Pixar (forgive me, I haven't seen it yet), but I wouldn't risk it. I know a girl who used to work for Disney and she confirmed what our teacher told us about Disney copyrighters. There are actually agents sent out into schools whose entire job it is to find people violating Disney copyrights. You CANNOT infringe upon their copyrights in any way. Even if you personally own the film, you cannot legally show it in your classroom. The only way you can show a Disney film in your class is if you have a licensed copy (usually your librarian is the one to ask about this...they know EVERYTHING and are well versed in this). You cannot have any copyrighted images, or even use copyrighted phrases. A lady in my school wanted to put the Hunchback of Notre Dame on her wall as a mascot and she could not do this. She was notified that she would be sued if any likeness of the HBOND was on her wall or any part of her room. This sounds like a big downer, I know.
    On the bright side, you CAN show a clip equal to two minutes or less of the entire film. However, this must be linked to your lesson in some way. Some people say that you can state you are using the film in accordance with the Educational Fair Use act, but truthfully, I wouldn't chance it. There are hundreds and hundreds of schools with pending lawsuits because they infringed on Disney's copyright privelages. Not only can your affiliated school be sued, but you personally can be sued as well. Don't risk it, please! And....apparently don't mess with Disney.

6. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Dec 5, 2006

Well apparently according to this, Disney is more interested in the "agents" finding violations than education itself. You would think that they would spend more time in the classroom volunteering or something more effective.

I guess I never knew that Disney Police would do this and I lived in Orlando.

BTW-Pi Lover your idea sounds great. I wish my older son had a teacher like you trying to incorporate all areas. Good luck with this project.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 5, 2006

I found this on the net!!!! I can see where actually putting the character on the wall is violation, but to watch a movie without charging for it I don't know how that is violating...but I'm not a lawyer and I do know of a lot of teachers who do use Disney stuff in lots of things...

After taking the quiz, my wife and I had a discussion about whether it's fair use or not for elementary teachers to show a Disney (usually) movie as a "reward" on the day before a break. Seems to me that it's for entertainment value and that they would be in violation; she was told by her librarian that as long as it's the teacher's copy and not the school's copy that it's okay. Hmm...as in my school, it seems that the librarian is "the word" on this stuff. Is there a reason why that's so?

8. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Thanks for the reminder about the copyright laws. As a matter of fact, I have taken a class that discussed the issue. It's been several years back and wasn't fresh on my mind. As I previously said, I never show movies so it's typically not an issue I think about or worry about. I can still do the bulk of the project and the kids can just watch the movie on their own if they have it. One would think though if you are not charging money for it and it's for educational purposes that it would be okay. Oh, well. . .so much for that idea.

9. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Dec 6, 2006

Wanna know what I think? I think I'd risk it and show the movie! What are the odds the Disney police will come to your door the day you show it?? If I buy a movie for myself, aren't I supposed to be allowed to watch it with friends for entertainment purposes? Otherwise, what is the point of buying it? So are they gonna sue you for having a whole classroom full of friends?!!! Hee hee The odds are in your favor, pi lover, that you WON'T get caught, so I'd go for it!!!!

Someone please explain why this is an infringement of their copyright.

10. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Dec 6, 2006

here is a site

Okay. I didn't by any means try to drown your hopes of using the movie. AND I didn't mean to make it seem like I know all about copyright. There is ALOT I don't know. I just wanted to make sure that you are aware of how crazy some places are about copyright infringement. This could include your school. Some schools are tougher about this than others. So, if you want to show the movie then go for it. I think it would be fun. I just didn't want you to show it in an uninformed way.
    I looked up a website on copyright law in the classroom. It says with motion media, the allowable amount to show in a classroom is up to 10% of the total, or three minutes, whichever is less. This goes for unpurchased, unlicensed copies I believe. I was going to post the link but they won't let me for some reason. Sorry. :(
    Good luck!

11. pi lover

pi lover Rookie

Dec 6, 2006

Well, about the movie. . .my principal doesn't seem to think it's an issue I should worry about. He's been informed from the start about what I wanted to do. Isn't every teacher technically breaking the law when they photocopy a worksheet for the whole class when the school district would only buy one copy of the workbook it came from?? There are lots of instances when teachers go against copyright laws. I'm not saying it's right, but just that it's done. One would have to get "caught" doing it by someone who actually cared. Considering my school is practically on "lock down" while school is in session, I think it would be a bit difficult for the "Disney Police" to pop in and make a visit to my classroom at the precise time that I'm showing a movie. Then, they'd have to prove that I was showing more than the three minutes (or whatever).

I do appreciate the concern, but my school is pretty laid back about it.

12. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Dec 9, 2006

Figurtive language

13. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Dec 10, 2006

Sorry I'm dense, please explain this comment. :confused:

14. srh

srh Devotee

Dec 10, 2006

I thought that copyrights extended to reselling or using in a profitable setting. We're using the movie next week in our Kinder class as reward for Jog-a-Thon goals met. We're having students make "box cars" out of cardboard (at home!) and they'll get to use them in our "classroom drive-in theater." Hmmmm...I'll pass on the agent info to my partner, but I didn't think it applied in non-profit, educational settings.

15. jen7-19

jen7-19 Rookie

Dec 11, 2006

I know that at my school, if the school library has it then we can show it free and clear. Otherwise we have to get permission.