Input please, summer job education related?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mobz907, Mar 25, 2010.

1. mobz907

mobz907 Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

:help:I need a job for this summer. I am currently a substitute teacher with loan bills coming in and need something that pays at least a little bit.

I am volunteering as a soccer coach for a children's league for two night a week. The Sylvan Learning Center (tutoring) is not hiring...none of the BOCES (SPED) have positions open because most of their teachers are return teachers from last summer or teachers who work through the summer, and summer rec has high school students as counselors.

Let me know what you think! I really appreciate all input. The more ideas the better! There;s got to be stuff out there that I'm just not thinking of or that might be more obscure that I'm overlooking.

I look forward to your answers! :)

3. CGriswald309B

CGriswald309B Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Hmmm...trying go to the school(s) that has/have the most behavior/academic problems. They always seem to have openings.

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

A lot of daycares have summer camp programs for older children...not a school or necessarily educational setting but you might still have to opportunity to lesson plan and definitely work with children. I would check local child care facilities!

5. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Lots of private schools have summer camps! For example, my school does an academic summer camp with 1/2 days of science, writing, computer, math... and the rest of the day typical camp stuff. They hire teachers for the academics and college studnets for counselors in the afternoon.

Or, if you don't have a family, have you ever considered being a counselor at a sleep away camp? This is a way you can also save on your bills and make $ at the same time.:)

6. busybeeZ

busybeeZ Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Also, are there any teacher supply stores in your area? They love to hire people 'in the biz'

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2010

Why limit yourself to education related jobs?

Hit your nearest mall and apply to each and every store. Then google all the summer camps within a reasonable drive.

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Mar 28, 2010

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2010

I went to the local high school and talked to the guidance counselors. They gave out my name and number to parents who looking for tutors for their children. You can charge at least $15 an hr some tutors get up to $50 an hr. Depends on your area. Also, when I tutored I required at least two hrs a week.

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

I'm also in upstate NY - do you have a YMCA near you? I know they have summer camps and a lot of their employees are college students who go home for the summer. It could be worth checking into.