Innovative Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cthdenver, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I have posted on here many times before. I am a teacher in a Brooklyn 5th Grade class. These kids spend almost seven hours in the morning in religious studies. I get them at 3:30 in the afternoon and have them until 6PM. I have 31 boys in my class. I teach Monday through Thursday. The School has a Computer room which we get to use a Math program on Tuesdays from 5:20 - 5:50 and a reading program on Thursdays from 4:45 - 5:15. The days that they dint have computers they have a 25 minutes break. Only one of those breaks is outside the other is inside the classroom. Other then that I have them to cover a normal 5th grade curriculum. Not supprising with a school like this most of the kids are about a year behind in most things. By the time the kids get to my classroom they have a lot of energy and have very little patience. I NEED TO COME UP WITH NEW HANDS ON IDEAS TO MAKE THIS WORK FOR THESE KIDS.
    YOU CAN SEE PICS OF MY CLASS HERE
    PLEASE GIVE YOUR HANDS ON FUN IDEAS TO MAKE A SCENARIO LIKE THIS WORK.
    THANKS

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 30, 2007

What an interesting set-up! Seems like that's a long day for your kids... so my guess is that you're going to need to make your lessons as interactive and hands-on as possible.

I don't teach 5th, so I don't have any specific content-related suggestions. But I'm thinking that things like reading are more interesting when you can read aloud, act things out, etc.

If we have an idea of what particular content you're working on right now I know I'd be more help!

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

reading = plays
    science = experiments take them outside to do the experiments as a bonus.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 30, 2007

I PMed you but looking at your photos really gives me a better idea of your class.

Lots of boys at that age where they are really interested in socializing and being physical! Playing games with them is going to be your best bet. Do Family Fued or Jeopardy style games, as well as Around the World or other games for those skills. Establish a set up so that they have something to look forward to once a week so they are working towards a goal. Maybe a party once a month when you just go outside and play basketball, or a movie party, or something. Once a week, some game time. It looks like you don't have a lot of extra supplies either. Go to thrift shops and yard sales and find old games, decks of cards, dice and other things to play math games with. You can make up easy games with dice. Roll two dice and multiply them together, is a super easy one. More challenging, put down 4 cards, and find the best way to make 2 two digit numbers to add. Try to get the highest score, and continue to add up the ongoing score for a winner. I would pair the desks up, so each person has one other person they work with. Get some maps and things up on the wall, and do geography games. You can have two maps and do a relay with two teams. Ask geography questions, like, which state has the capitol ___. A person from each team finds it on the map and the winning team gets a point.

There are many hands on and active things you can do with a group like yours.

What are the curriculuar areas you need to cover in the two hours? What resources do you have?? Are you teaching in Hebrew or English? Take some field trips with them. Go to museums or the library. There are probably some places you can visit in the short time you have with them. Even a bakery to see how bread is made, or a grocery store... these are easy trips to do. I'm guessing they don't have much time for that in the other part of the school day.

You can schedule a trip once a month, and maybe even find a place in walking distance.

Tell us what specifically you are working on in math, science, social studies, reading and writing, and perhaps we can help more.

6. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

Write now we have a holiday brake (so I have some planing time now!!!).
    Before vacation in reading I was taking assignments from the text books we have and I was changing them around to Jewish Stories to grab their attention more. You can see those stories here.
    We read them aloud and then go over the questions this is helping for reading comprehension and I will probably have to make a lot more of these through out the year. As far as handwriting these kids can hardly do a sentence yet alone a paragraph. I need some major resources for this??? In Math as soon as we get back we have to start from fractions and move forward. I did some more complicated things with them before vacation however I saw they had to work on basic factors and I spent alot of time on that and probably will have to. As far as SS the school is getting a new book when we get back so I dont know yet what I am going to be doing. However I gave them a blank map of the US and some of them dont know where they live - (New Yorkers!!! Thats the whole world to them!!!) and in Science I also dont yet know what I am doing - as I think you suggested I want to do some type of experiment every week. I have a book but its very outdated. Ideas for this would also be helpful.
    Thanks

7. VA2500

VA2500 Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I would have them play a game of basketball called HORSE with a modification. In order to keep from getting a letter you must make a basket and answer a question or if you miss the basket you can choose to answer two questions. The next player has to shoot from the last position a shot was made just like the original game of HORSE.

VA

8. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

Nice idea however keep in mind I have 31 kids and a 2 hour day. I cant see using this game without overstepping on my time frame.

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

I think white boards might be a big help to you. You write a problem and say it. They write the problem and answer. OR write the answer and hold it up. You say correct or try again and you cover a lot of ground quickly.

***White boards are great and expensive. Go to the lumber yard buy a sheet of smooth white paneling. ---called white tile board…. Our lumber yard cut it up in smaller sizes free. (about 11 by 12 inches) don't remember for sure. Or maybe your high school shop teacher will cut it for you. Next with sand paper sand around the edges just enough to take off the sharp edge. A boys top of a sock ---makes a good eraser. You need a white board, a white board marking pen and sock top for each student. Teacher gives a math problem, spelling word or whatever. When student has an answer they hold up the board. You say correct erase or try again. Our boards get lots of use.

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

Two hours isn't much time.

11. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I KINDA REALIZED THAT ON DAY 1

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2007

Maybe you need to stagger your lessons. Language Arts on MWF and Math/SS on TTH and flip if necessary.

13. Cthdenver

Cthdenver Rookie

Sep 30, 2007

I want to - my principal isn't to thrilled about it - he fells put all in the same day.

14. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

Plus you don't even get them in the morning when they are at the best. Choral reading is another way to involve the group. White boards where you write a problem and they write the answer on the white board and hold it up for you to ok.

http://www.quirkles.com/meet_the_quirkles/index.htm This a free phonics program and has a science project to go with each letter.
    This is a phonic site, but it ends with a simple science experiment at the end of studying each letter.