Inner ear infection, how many days to take off?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Jun 15, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

I got sick about 10 days ago and woke up with a bad earache this morning. Went to the doctor and I have an upper respiratory infection plus and inner ear infection. I was given some medicine and the doctor told me I can't go to work on Monday. Then on Monday I need to go in to get my ear cleaned and she said I'll need to take off another 3 or 4 days after the cleaning.

Which just seems excessive to me. I mean a full week off of work for a little ear infection? Right now I feel fine (besides the insane vertigo I get any time I move my head or eyes too fast :dizzy:) and I'd feel bad asking for a full week off work. Especially since we're just two weeks away from our break. Obviously if I'm still having the crazy dizzy spells I won't go in since I basically won't be able to function, but if that goes away I don't see a reason to call out.

What do you guys think?

(In my school we don't have sick days or anything. If we can't come in we call and they get another teacher to cover us and we simply don't get paid for the day)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 15, 2013

Can you call in day by day so you can see how you feel?

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

Yeah I can. Maybe I'll send my director an email as a head's up.

Has anyone ever had an inner ear infection before and know how long it takes to fix up?

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 15, 2013

Gosh, when I had inner ear there was no way I could've made it to school. I was lucky it hit me for the most part over the weekend when I had it. If I rolled over, I puked. If I raised my head, I puked. Heaven help me if I did have to get up.

I hope you get over that mess!

6. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2013

I have an extensive history of ear infections most times I was able to go to work/school a day or Two after starting the antibiotic the three times I had a ruptured eardrum, it was a week, (it kept me out of the draft).

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2013

I have had ear infections my entire life. I get 2-3 a year. I have bad allergies and small Eustachian tubes, so my ears don't drain very well.

I very rarely take time off for one. In recent years I remember taking one day off when my ear drum ruptured and one day off to have my ears cleaned out. The cleaning makes me really sick.

I'd be tempted to take it day by day and see how I felt.

8. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

Thanks for the replies guys!

The really awful dizzy spells have seemed to pass, now I just feel a little "tipsy" I guess. :rolleyes:

I suppose I'll shoot my director an email to keep her up to date and then play it by ear. :lol:

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2013

I take meclezine (Bonine) and Guaifenesin (Mucinex) with ear infections. Helps a lot.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. My doctor gave me some antibiotic since I have another infection as well, and two types of ear drops. I'm also taking ibuprofen. So I think I'm pretty good for now :)

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 16, 2013

Yikes! I get outer ear infections about once every other year or so. The doctor gives me an antibiotic ear drop prescription and I typically feel better the next day. Oh, and he also has to clean out the ear that has the infection.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2013

I had plenty of "swimmer's ear" while on my swim teams. But this internal one is unlike anything! Granted, swimmer's ear hurts a whole bunch, but with this one I feel like I've been drunk for two days! :lol: I have to walk holding onto the walls and if I turn my head to the right (my right ear has the infection) the whole world turns upside-down. I don't feel bad, but man I'm useless.:dizzy:

13. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jun 16, 2013

I would just take it day by day. I'd explain it to the administration and what the doctor is suggesting, but I'd also say that unless I'm really bad off, I intend to be at school.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 16, 2013

I know that feeling! LOL After my first bout, I went back to school on that Monday. I walked and kept my hand on the wall so I wouldn't sway here and there. If I didn't touch the wall, I walked like I was drunk!

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2013

I think my official note from the doctor should say "hungover from ear infection":lol:

I'm not going to go in tomorrow. I went to a father's day cookout today and after about an hour I felt super nauseous and dizzy and awful. We'll see about Tuesday.

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2013

You should go back to school when you feel better. I would take the whole week but not if I didn't get paid :eek: