Inner City Schools Continued

Discussion in 'General Education' started by titansrst, May 3, 2008.

1. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

May 3, 2008

Just continuing a clean thread on this fascinating topic. I think what is saddest is the look on some of the kids' faces at 3 pm. Many don't want to go home, as school is the only place they feel loved and protected. I am far from the best teacher in the world, but I love the hell out of my kids. I spend hundreds to thousands of dollars each year out of my pocket to feed them, to clothe them, to equip them with supplies. I am the surrogate father for so many, and I do all I can to not let them down. Making it harder is the fact that I am wheelchair-bound and often in pain. Those kids take darn good care of me, doing anything they can to protect me and ease my pain, even when tears are trying to work their ways out of my eyes. Yeah, they can be full of mischief and I have to be harsher with them than I'd like. No matter what, they're still there for me. perhaps appreciating the days the elevators weren't working and instead of going home as was told their teacher crawled up and down the steps to his classroom. I ache for these kids, because at age 7-8 (I teach Grade 2) many have witnessed and suffered through more horrendous events than I have in my 49 years. Yes, teaching in a safe suburban school might be better for one's health and professional growth, but it's not better for the many, many wonderful children who are victims of circumstance, racism, corporate greed and unprotected sex. I won't lie, there are days I scream, "what am I doing here." Then comes the answer in the form of the child who scored his first A in math or the girl whose essay was placed on he bulletin board because it was excellent. Maybe it comes in the form of a former student who brings me flowers once a week or the my former "Bad Boys" group who come to eat in my classroom everyday during their lunch period while I am teaching because they feel safe and want to stay out of trouble. I can go on and on, and please understand that I am no saint. There is so much I wish I could have done differently, and each day I ask God to make me a great, patient and understanding teacher. I ask him to keep the pain as low as possible so I won't give up on kids who won't give up on me. Thanks for listening. [

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 3, 2008

Thanks for sharing. You are certainly making a difference in their lives!

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

May 4, 2008

Kudos to you! We need more teachers like you!