Innapropriate Gestures - Advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 1, 2007

On friday i was in reading groups. I was working with a low group of kids when a boy from one of my mid groups gets up and runs over to another group and makes an obsence sexual gesture towards them. (masterbation) Two others followed suit:eek:hmy::eek:hmy:. I didn't see the gesture, but realized the boys were moving about and told them to sit down immediately and get back to work. One of the girls informed me of what happened.

I took recess from the three boys involved and spoke with their parents. Their parents were shocked as am I. I feel that just taking one recess is not enough. The parents of the girls are very upset by this and they should be. Fortunately, the girls have no idea what it means.

What would you do for a consequence?

3. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 1, 2007

What about having them write apology notes - they can use their recess time to write them.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

It is amazing what kiddos are starting to do at an earlier age. I agree with Steph, in that they should use their recess time to write apology notes: to the girls that were involved, to you for disrupting small group time, to their parents...

5. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

Certainly if it continues I would increase the punishment and then start having them write letters, even go to the office, but for the one time offense, I think I'd document it and let it go. It's a little like the cussing thing, they may not realize what a big deal it is and it is a behvior that will just go away since they got in trouble, but if too big a deal is made of it too soon, then they suddenly know they have something (this gesture) that can really get your attention...that it's a really bad (read cool) thing to do....
    So, if it repeats...yep, crack down on it, but otherwise, let it drop at this point.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

I think you should document this incident in writing and notify the school counselor and principal about this behavior, just to be on the safe side.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

Missing a recess, at this point, plus talking to the parents, seems like adequate consequences for the rude behavior. If they write apology notes, the girls will certainly know then what the boys were doing, and maybe that will be kinda like cutting off a nose to spite a face. If the girls were not affected by it, I would not draw any more attention to it.

Boys that age repeat things they see and hear older boys/men doing and saying, often without knowing how offensive they are being. You might need to educate them - "That is a gesture that is rude because it has a meaning that is not appropriate to share with the group." If they don't know what it means, tell them they should go home and ask their dads.

Don't turn it into a big deal by dwelling on it any more.

I once had a little boy who constantly had his hands in his pants. It was a little icky. I figured, ok, he is young, that is what young boys do sometimes. I had to keep reminding him to sit "criss cross applesauce" so he'd take his hands out of his pants. I finally had to have a frank talk with him. I said,"I notice you often have your hands inside your pants. Inside your pants is a private area. IT is special and you don't want everyone else looking at your private area. When you put your hands in your pants, other people look at your private area. I want you to keep your hands out of your pants when you are at school, because I don't want everyone staring at your private area. Ok?" Suddenly the light went on for him. It helped because he understood why he should keep his hands out of his pants, and I was not humiliating him or condeming him.

8. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

Depending on their age it could cross into sexual harrassment and may be grounds for suspension.

9. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

I totally agree with this! In this day and age, you are opening yourself up to liability from the girl's parents if you do not report it. I've heard of some schools going way overboard on similar incidents, but you can't know what has been (or still is) going on on the bus, at recess, and before/after school.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 1, 2007

Yes, document the incident for future reference, but it seems the incident has been dealt with in an appropriate way, and no further consequences are warranted.