Injury alert!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, May 6, 2011.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 6, 2011

So I had my first classroom injury today. I teach 3rd grade.

We were doing mother's day activities. Each child was working and I had them come up to me when they were done with their booklets so that I could help them put it all together and staple. I have 2 staplers and one of them got jammed so I switched to the other one. One of my dear, sweet boys picked up the stapler beside me and tried to fix it. I had my back turned to him but heard a noise and when I turned around I saw a look of complete and utter shock on his face. I looked down and there was a huge staple sticking straight out of his thumb. At first I thought it was only stuck a little but upon further glance I quickly realized how embedded it was. It went in through the bottom of his thumb and straight through the nail. About a minute later he started crying. (I don't blame him!) But I calmed him down and buzzed the office. I had the nurse come up to my room because I didn't want him walking through the hallway without some kind of adult supervision, as I was afraid he might hit it on something and injure it more.

He ended up having to go to the hospital. I stayed with him in the nurse's office until his mom came to get him. (The rest of my kids were at Specials, thankfully.) She was very kind. I asked her to call me after he saw the doctor. I missed the call because I was at bus duty but he left the sweetest voicemail on my phone.
    "Mrs. X, the doctor fixed it and I'm all better now. I feel fine. Please don't worry about me."

Awwww!

Truth is, I have been worried about him! Poor little guy. I'm not sure how I can survive the weekend. I just want it to be Monday again so I can give him a great big hug! He was so sweet, so cute and so brave that I get teary eyed just when I think about it. Is that silly?

After he left, we made a big card for him and I had all the kids sign it. It's on his desk so he'll get it on Monday.

I feel so terrible about this!! Monday cannot come soon enough!

I'm sure this isn't the first injury I will have to deal with.

What accidents/injuries have happened on your watch?

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 7, 2011

One of the boys in my class stapled his finger a couple weeks ago. His experience was much mellower. He first stapled it. Then he got excited about the injury and showed and shared the fact with everyone. Then about a half hour later he noticed, wow, this really hurts.

4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

May 7, 2011

I am a school first aider and have had to deal with one or two 'interesting' injuries. One I recall was a girl using a sewing machine in textiles who managed to put the needle straight through her finger through the nail! We had to switch off the machine, then I held her hand down while another colleague wound the machine back to extract to needle!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

When I was in grade 8, I was the student who sewed herself to the machine! The needle went from one side of my thumb to the other, so no damage to the nail. My teacher did not handle the situation well--I was very calm and she was almost hysterical. I asked her to please remove the needle from the machine, so that I would be able to move. The ended up calling the shop teacher to help, because she had no idea what to do.

Every year we have our share of sprained ankles and, often, a broken bone or two out on the playground. Our most serious injury occurred a few years ago when one of our grade 7 students broke his hip during a game of football (which they shouldn't have been playing).

6. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 7, 2011

I had a boy in my class who lost five minutes of his recess, so he had to stand facing a brick wall. At the end of his five minutes an aide was out with me and she noticed he had his pants unzipped and was rubbing his privates on the brick wall. I headed over there. He quickly zipped back up. I wasn't sure what to say or do, so I let him go play. I called the office and had the nurse come out. We talked about it and she took him in the office. Turns out he was being sexually abused. The adoptive mother knew but never reported it because she didn't want her brother to get in trouble. This poor child had rubbed himself against the wall so hard that he was actually bleeding.

7. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 7, 2011

My injury stories all came from student teaching...each time from the playground. Two of our students, seperate days, fell from the dome-shaped monkey-bar thing (what is that called? My mind has gone blank!) and broke their arm. One boy, I honestly had no idea he was hurt. He walked up and said, my arm hurts. I looked down and it was literally in a Z shape!!! He never cried! It was odd. He was a little trooper though. I had another teacher on the playground, so I was able to walk him in to the nurse.
    The second time, I was the only one on the playground and no one answered the walkie-talkie. I had to send the poor girl in by herself!! :'(

My last injury...a girl decided to do a flip on a bar. Fell backwards and hit her head on a balance bar. I ran over the check on her, thought she had maybe just a bump. Started feeling for a bump and my hand turned up covered in blood - yep, no gloves. I didn't even think about putting them on. :/ She ended up having to have staples, majorly big gash.

It was definitely an interesting student teaching year!

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 7, 2011

Accidents happen--- we had a boy (not while I was supervising the class) get a concussion when some kids pushed him and he hit his head twice. (Still not sure what the whole story about it was, but regardless...) All of his teachers showered him with attention and we've all kept an eye on him now. I felt bad it happened to him because he is a really sweet kid and tries to be nice to everybody.

About 2 weeks ago a student asked me a question and I moved my hand to point behind me where he should place some of the materials. My hand basically smacked another boy in the chest-- I didn't see him at all. I nearly burst into tears I felt so awful and I kept apologizing and asking if he was okay. He knew I didn't see him and that it was completely an accident and he was fine.

I think as long as you address safety in the classroom (and as a science teacher I'm constantly reminding students about safety) and you speak up when you see students doing something wrong, that's the best you can do.

9. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

May 7, 2011

broken leg

During my first year of teaching, in the 6th week of school, a girl playing soccer broke her leg!

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 7, 2011

My first year of teaching I broke my foot. I was walking down the steps of my classroom when my ankle turned and my foot rolled. Several bones in the top of my foot were broken. And what day was it, you ask? Of course it was the day we were having our state visit.

The worst so far was my 2nd year of teaching. My class was in a modular and we had to all come in to use the restrooms. While my class was using the restroom I heard a blood curdling scream. One of my students was swinging between the sinks and another student told her to stop and get down. The 2nd student pulled on her legs to make her stop and the 1st student fell. She landed flad on her back and hit her head. We didn't move her but called 911 immediately (thankfully the office was right across the hall from the bathroom!). Right before the paramedics arrived she had a seizure. They took her to the hospital to run tests and x-rays. She ended up being fine, and there was no explanation for the seizure. It was such a scary time for me and my other kiddos. Thankfully in our new building the sink is where teachers can view it, and students can not swing between anything!

A couple of years ago, one of my boys turned and hit his arm on the monkey bars and broke it.

A month ago I fell out at recess and sprained my elbow severely. It still will not straighten all the way, and I have a hard time picking anything up that is heavier than a pen. First thing in the morning and when I'm trying to sleep is when it hurts the most.

Friday, and student stabbed himself with a pencil on accident. He was so brave. I know it had to hurt. The nurse cleaned it out really good, medicated it, wrapped it, and called mom. The hole was a good 1/2 inch into his hand.

11. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

May 7, 2011

Jr. High long ago!!!

I remember a 7th grade classmate fell and his pencil went through his nose! :eek:

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2011

I still have a pencil point embedded in my hand in fifth grade after a classmate accidentally stabbed me with it. The nurse didn't believe me when I told her the point had broken off and was still in there. When the skin healed and I could see the pencil point clearly, I ran to the nurse, shoved my hand in her face and demanded she get the point out. When she explained she'd have to cut my hand open again, I decided to keep it. I can still see the point 30 years later.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 7, 2011

It is the first injury...it won't be your last:(

I have a pair of what I call 'the deadly scissors'. I've cut myself with them numerous times...once almost the entire tip off a finger...thank goodness my gel nail stopped the blade from going all the way! One day we were making some project and a student needed me to cut a cardboard tube for her...she held the tube and I cut it...and her finger:eek:...you can't imagine the guilt over that one!:dizzy::unsure:

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 7, 2011

This happened when I was teaching preschool: a little boy fell off of his chair and fell into a paint brush. The paint brush gouged a hole in his cheek. Mom hadn't even left yet!

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 7, 2011

In 5th grade band I has a students get her skin on her hand caught in between the metal parts on her trumpet. I don't know how she did it...and it was stuck & turning purple. I took her to the nurse & she got her unstuck. She iced it & it left a mark for awhile. We were then able to joke about how dangerous band was! :p

I played musical chairs with my 5th grade (my first year at one school). One kid went flying into a chair and hit his head. I sent him to the nurse & he wound up having to go to the hospital to be checked out. He had a huge knot on his forehead. I felt horrible! I did call mom and she was great about it. But I have not played musical chairs since then. Whenever a student asks (or whines) "why can't we play it", I tell them the story.

16. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

May 8, 2011

I had a similar staple accident in my room a few years ago... no hospital required, but it was in all the way, flush to her finger. The one I felt horrible about though was one that I inflicted on a 6th grader that was helping me wash tables. She was washing with a sponge and I was scrapping off glue with a razor blade. We got too close to each other and i wound up slicing her finger real good. The nurse put a butterfly clip on it, and said she might need a stitch or two. She wound up not going for the stitch but it was a nice deep one, let me tell you. I felt TERRIBLE. The little girl was super good about it though, and teared up a little initially because it hurt, but didn't even cry, and kept telling me it was ok.

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 8, 2011

We were doing an Easter project, and were using the hot-glue gun to put google eyes on our eggs. I figured the easiest way to do it was to have them hold the glue gun, and I held the egg and stuck the eyes on. It worked perfectly until the last little boy--someone said something to him, and he turned, turning the glue gun with him--and stabbing the point of right into my hand! It was a low-temp one, so it wasn't awful, but it definitely was a burn that hurt. I felt worse for him though--you could see the panic flashing across his face as he realized, "I just burned my teacher!"

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 8, 2011

You could also just buy glue-dots--- they can get them at Michaels or AC Moore craft store (and online). They're much safer for students to use.

19. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

May 8, 2011

When I taught Prek a little girl was wearing wedge heel flip flops. When she got up from circle time, she tripped and hit her lip on the edge of the table. The cut when all the way through her lip, and she got two stitches.

This year, one of my boys came up to me with a bloody nose. He's a goof, and he told me he broke his nose. I thought, "Yeah, right." So, I waited for him to clean up his face. When he came out of the restroom, half his nose on the other side of his face! :eek: He was sliding around in the restroom and tripped. I told you he was a goof. :rolleyes:

Beth