Initial Interview was only 20 min :(

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, Mar 25, 2008.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

Hey everyone.

Well, I just got back from my last interview for the semester (so far)...and I'm not sure how it went. The interview only lasted 20 minutes. That doesn't seem like a good thing. The principal said that they do initial interviews, then invite people back to teach a class, then decide from there. He didn't mention time frame.
    They only asked me a few questions, and then i asked some.
    The principal was actually a coach at my high school when I went there. I remembered his name. A few of their staff members were teachers at my old high school too. We chatted a bit about that.
    I was with him and the dean of students (a private christian school).
    Has anyone ever had a short initial interview with positive results? What should I say in my thank you letter...like should I ask when they will call back?
    I dunno...I'm kinda bummed. I haven't heard from the other school I interviewed at on the 12th. I want so badly to get out of my current school. Doubt I'd even be hired back.
    Any advice?
    Thanks,
    CJ :unsure:

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

My very first job interview was exactly thirty minutes and they stared at the clock the entire time. I am a social studies teacher that does not coach so I was fairly certain they were going through the motions so they could hire the coach they wanted. I was 100% postive I didn't get that job. Two hours later they called me to offer me the job - 15 years later I am still amazed by this story because I KNEW I was not going to get the job. So moral of the story, I don't think you can tell anything by the length of the interview. :)

Keep thinking postive until you hear othewise. Good Luck and keep us posted.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2008

My interview at my current school was 25 minutes long--and that included a tour of the school! Don't give up hope.

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 25, 2008

Thanks. I didn't even tour the school the past 2 interviews. I'm still holding on. :)

6. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Mar 25, 2008

That sounds like a screening interview. I actually went through one and made it to the next round. I'm waiting to find out when my next interview will be. After that (and if I make it to the next round), i'll do a demo lesson in a class. That's pretty normal here.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2008

Today's phone interview was only about 15 minutes long, and that included questions I had. So, I'm sure it all depends on how many questions you are asked and how concise you are in your answers. BTW, I was asked back for the next interview step. So, I would go ahead and send in the thank you note and just wait to hear from them.

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Mar 26, 2008

My one and only interview this past summer was 20 minutes long. Later that night, they called me to offer me the job.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

I wouldn't concern myself with the time. I would always be careful when you talk about who you know that might work there, I just wouldn't spend much time on that at all unless you know for absolute positive those people would say something good about you. Otherwise it is a waste of time.

Secondly, I would not ask a question in a thank you letter, note, or email. Just thank them, don't make them answer anything.

I bet you did just fine. Congrats on getting a few interviews, that is super!

Sending good vibes your way.

Lemon

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 26, 2008

Thanks everyone! It just makes me nervous, because I really wanted to do well. I tried to be cheery, and professional...lol.
    When I spoke about the high school I went to, that is when the principal asked me if I remembered him. I swear one of my brothers had him...oh well. He ended up telling the other guy in the interview (dean) about how the school had been set up, and how great it was.
    I'll just send my letter as usual.
    Thanks for the tips. :)