Inheriting a classroom

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Cicero, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 12, 2012

I could not believe all of the cool stuff that the previous teacher left behind in my classroom. For instance, I have a whole table full of games and neat things like.. foam swords (still trying to figure out how to work those into a lesson!). Going through her overflowing filing cabinet gave me not only a lot of great ideas, but also an idea of what Latin has been for my students in the past. I kept at least one copy of everything and managed to compress the older materials into one drawer. While sorting alone was an all day chore for me, I was glad to do it for all that I learned from it.

What are some interesting things you have found in your new classroom? Or... was anyone unpleasantly surprised by their previous teacher leaving nothing?

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2012

I wasn't left anything either time. Well, except for a giant mess I had to clean up!!!

Congrats on all your stuff! Sounds like you got the jackpot!

4. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I, too, was left with a giant mess (both times/classrooms I inherited). And, unfortunately, I wasn't left with anything of value to my teaching. I did however come across an ELA Handbook pamphlet whose copyright year was in the 1950s! I kept it just because I thought it was neat to have.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

Luckily the teacher's room I just got was already cleaned out of a lot of stuff because we were also switching rooms (I almost wrote wombs which would have been awkward because I never had one being male :lol:).

Anyway, a lot of content books for the library, games, etc.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2012

When I switched rooms this year, I was left a nice clean room with many grade appropriate supplies. It was pretty nice to walk into after my move a few years back where I had lots and lots of cleaning to do.